PDA

View Full Version : Fairfield Harbour rolls out red carpet for Camp Johnson troops

thedrifter
07-30-07, 06:16 AM
Fairfield Harbour rolls out red carpet for Camp Johnson troops

ANNA WOOD
July 30, 2007 - 12:32AM
FREEDOM ENC

FAIRFIELD HARBOUR - The Fairfield Harbour community hosted a day of fun for Camp Johnson Marines on Sunday to show appreciation for their military service.

Almost 100 Marines were paired with 28 volunteer families from the gated community. They were treated to outdoor activities like swimming and golf, as well as a picnic lunch provided by the families. The Southern Gentlemen, a chorale group, volunteered to perform at the picnic.

The celebration was organized by John "Bruce" and Joan Shattuck, residents of Fairfield Harbour.

It was originally scheduled for June but delayed due to bad weather.

"Considering what these young folk do for us, it's the absolute least we can do," Joan Shattuck said. "If it were my child, I'd want someone to do the same thing."

The Shattucks have organized similar events in the past. Every Thanksgiving, Fairfield Harbour residents invite local Marines to spend the day with them.

John Shattuck coordinates with the Single Marine Program, which organizes outings for single troops.

Some of the volunteers were in the military themselves. Phil Berkowitz is a retired submariner and gave a toast to the forces' sacrifices.

"I remember going to a function like this in Norfolk when I was on active duty," Berkowitz said. He took his Marines boating and treated them to cocktails at a waterside restaurant.

"I've had more fun here at this barbeque than I did going to Busch Gardens," said Pfc. Chris Davis. "They treated me and the other Marines like gold."

Originally from Nelson County, Va., Davis was happy to have what he called "real fried chicken" at the picnic.

One picnicker, Pfc. Alexander Leonov, joined the Marines having only lived in the U.S. for five years. He was born and raised in Moscow and speaks six languages.

"My family has a history of being in the military," Leonov said. He spent the day swimming, hanging out with his host family and "going crazy over their dog," he said.

Some of the Marines didn't know about the event until they got a knock on their doors Sunday morning.

"They said something about free food, and here I am," Pfc. John Schwartz said.

Schwartz spent the afternoon on a yacht, he said, something he had never done before.

"It was a thrill," he said.

Ellie