PDA

View Full Version : Umm Qasr firefight televised!

wrbones
03-23-03, 01:29 AM
I've been watching it live! 00:28 Mountain for at least 45 minutes!

Sunday, March 23, 2003

UMM QASR, Iraq — Heavy firefighting broke out in Umm Qasr, two days after U.S. military officials said the strategic port town had been secured by coalition forces.

Tank reinforcement was sent to aid the U.S. troops in the battle. Footage from Sky News showed U.S. Marine tanks and ground troops exchanging heavy gunfire with Iraqi combatants who had slipped into civilian garb and became guerillas.

The Pentagon and the British defense staff on Friday had said that thousands of coalition soldiers had captured and secured the town.

"Umm Qasr has been overwhelmed by the U.S. Marines and now is in coalition hands," Adm. Michael Boyce, chief of the British defense staff, said.

Boyce said that the "port is a vital objective. ... It's going to become one of our main ways of getting humanitarian aid, hopefully within days ... into Iraq."

Located along the Kuwait border, Umm Qasr is seen as being useful for moving military supplies into Iraq and control of the city will likely speed the clearing of Iraqi resistance in the south. Parts of the city, located 290 miles southeast of Baghdad, was given to Kuwait under agreements the United Nations brokered after the 1991 Gulf War.

U.S. Marines had taken several hundred prisoners, who a U.S. military official said were draftees in very poor condition rather than "top-notch Republican Guard types."

"A lot of them looked hungry," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. "They haven't been fed in a while."

He said they fought with small arms, pistols, machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades.

Boyce said British forces in the area were dealing with hundreds of Iraqi prisoners, but added he did not know how many had surrendered and how many had been taken prisoner.

One Marine from the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force died Friday during fighting near Umm Qasr.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

wrbones
03-23-03, 01:30 AM
120 Iraqis to root out! This <I>could</I> get ugly.

It's fascinating,but I wonder about the wisdom of televising it LIVE!! A Marine company and four tanks to do the job right now.

thedrifter
03-23-03, 01:38 AM
Watching it too on TV......It has it's good and bad points......

SF

Roger

wrbones
03-23-03, 01:52 AM
OOOO-RRAAAAAH! If you didn't hear it, you missed a good one! That Staff Sergeant's gonna get a lot of free beer when he gets back!

( The best I can remember it. )

Reporter: The people back home having the chance to watch this on TV think this is sanitized in some way."

SNCO: Very calmly and professionally, but firmly: Well, if the people back home think that, there's a local recruiting station on every corner. They need to go sign up and then they can join us."

thedrifter
03-23-03, 02:01 AM
You got to Love it.......LOL

SF

Roger

Sgt Sostand
03-23-03, 10:59 AM
50 Marines Hurt in Nasiriyah Iraq

greybeard
03-23-03, 11:23 AM
I stayed up & watched the entire thing. Like the Drifter, I see some bad points in it.
While it was great the on scene senior kept his men safe, it will likely be viewed by many as being too tentative and too unaggressive, especially considering the Marine's reputation for going on the attack mode. I really expected the tanks to just level the buildings and go on about their fwd push toward Bagdad. There was an awful lot of firepower available right on scene, but where were the Cobras?

Having said that, it's real easy for a 50+ yr old Marine like myself to sit at home & second quess what is happening, especially considering my on ground experience is minimal at best. (Being a gunner on a CH-53 in a war 30 yrs ago doesn't exactly qualify me as a company or platoon commander)

The only thing that really matters is they acomplished their goal without any casualties. As said on another Marine forum "The best medal is a live man's smile". We want those Marines all back home safe when this is over. THAT is the bottom line.

And yep Bones, the SSgt said it like it is.

One thing's for sure. It is beginning to look like the Iraqis aren't all just going to roll over this time around. According to the latest news, both the 15th MEU and the 3rd Inf Div are running into more and more resistance.

Barrio_rat
03-23-03, 01:40 PM
Seems a good many of us were up late last night watching this unfold. I also liked what the reporter had to say about the Marines - both the British Royal Marines and the US Marines, if ya noticed not once did he call them soldiers but always referred to them as Marines. Could be he got locked on a few months ago. This reporter gave all the Marines praise in letting the camera crew and reporter up as close to things as they could possibly be and, as he put it, to keep them from doing anything stupid.

The part I was wondering about and was brought up by the former Col's and Gen's that contributed to the news cast, was why the air support took so long to get there and why weren't the Cobra's damn near with 'em as the unit moved along. One point made that kinda brought things home, if folks back home paid attention, was when one of the military contributors said - we're here arm chair quarterbacking this and they are there, we definately don't have all the information that they do.

It sure wasn't like in the movies huh? Those Marines sittin' there waiting to do their thing - 90 some degrees out in their MOP suits and they just waited... Too bad the camera was pointing the wrong direction whent he air cover finally got there... such is life and live TV.