PDA

View Full Version : Cease-fire of Korean War remembered by local vets

thedrifter
07-29-07, 08:25 AM
Cease-fire of Korean War remembered by local vets

EDWARD LEWIS elewis@timesleader.com

WILKES-BARRE – Lena Gregori was embraced by Bob Alper as a soloist sang “Let There Be Peace on Earth” near the end of Saturday’s ceremony commemorating the 54th anniversary of the cease-fire of the Korean War.

It was 11 months ago when Gregori’s son, Army Cpl. Joseph Gregori, was laid to rest in the West Pittston Cemetery, nearly 56 years after he went missing during the Korean War. His remains were found by a Korean farmer in July 2000, and were returned to his family last August.

Aimee Dilger/The Times Leader
Times Leader Photo Store

WILKES-BARRE – Lena Gregori was embraced by Bob Alper as a soloist sang “Let There Be Peace on Earth” near the end of Saturday’s ceremony commemorating the 54th anniversary of the cease-fire of the Korean War.

It was 11 months ago when Gregori’s son, Army Cpl. Joseph Gregori, was laid to rest in the West Pittston Cemetery, nearly 56 years after he went missing during the Korean War. His remains were found by a Korean farmer in July 2000, and were returned to his family last August.

Gregori was recognized during the ceremony held in front of the Korean War monument and a smaller monument in remembrance of the Sept. 5, 1950, train wreck involving the 109th Field Artillery in Coshocton, Ohio. The monuments, located on the south lawn of the Luzerne County Courthouse, list the 140 servicemen killed during the Korean War and the 33 soldiers killed in the train wreck.

Nearly 200 people, mostly veterans from the Korean War, attended the ceremony hosted by the Korean War Veterans of Luzerne County.

“Each year we have a few more people here which makes us feel great; it lets us know what Korea meant,” said Joseph Sincavage, past commander of the Korean War Veterans.

David Danelo, 31, a military historian and author of the book, “Blood Stripes: The Grunt’s View of the War in Iraq,” said the Korean War’s image of being known as the “forgotten war” is fading, mainly due to concerns and interests about the Iraq war.

Danelo, a former captain in the U.S. Marines who served in Iraq, was the special guest speaker at Saturday’s ceremony, focusing on the theme “Remembrance and Pride.”

“You guys were my heroes,” Danelo told the Korean War veterans. “I don’t want to say ‘thank you.’ I want to say how proud I am of you. I’m proud that I served and I’m proud that you served.”

An upturn rifle embedded in the ground, a pair of black boots, dog tags and a helmet depicting fallen soldiers was displayed during the ceremony. Three wreaths were placed in front of the monuments as a rifle squad fired three volleys into the air and a bugler played “Taps.”

Luzerne County Commissioner Stephen A. Urban presented the Korean War veterans with a resolution honoring them for their service and sacrifice.

The Korean War began June 25, 1950, when communist North Korean soldiers invaded South Korea by crossing the 38th Parallel. More than 54,000 U.S. servicemen were killed, 103,000 were seriously injured, 7,000 were captured, and more than 2,000 were tortured and held as Prisoners of War in North Korea and China, Urban said.

Alper, a U.S. Marine Corp veteran who fought in the Korean War, said the fighting was in favor of the United States and the United Nations until 350,000 Chinese communists invaded South Korea, changing the war’s momentum.

“It’s been six decades and I can still smell death &hellip” Alper said.

“You guys were my heroes. I want to say how proud I am of you.”
David Danelo
Military historian, author, former captain in the U.S. Marines who served in Iraq

Edward Lewis, a Times Leader staff writer, may be reached at 829-7196.

Ellie