PDA

View Full Version : Garage band

thedrifter
07-29-07, 07:41 AM
Garage band
Athletes gather at coach's home for training program

By Tom Price Jr.
July 29, 2007

BONSALL – All Leslie Burgener wanted was for her husband to spend more time at home.

When the mother of four offered the family's garage as a home for Mike Burgener's growing strength and conditioning program, she had no idea that the concept of the home gym was about to be redefined.

In 1985, what would eventually become a regional training center for USA Weightlifting was established in the Burgeners' two-car garage in Bonsall.

“I had no idea,” Leslie Burgener said about the evolution of the gym that patrons refer to as Mike's Garage. “It was hard at first, when the athletes would come through the house to use the restroom and I was sitting there in my pj's. It was like, 'Hi, I am Leslie, I live here, who are you?' ”

Modifications have been made to resolve some of the awkward encounters, but for the most part, the gym is still in the garage.

Mike Burgener calls it a labor of love. Mike, a former football player at Notre Dame, a retired captain in the Marines and longtime strength and conditioning coach at Rancho Buena Vista High School, has devoted a large part of his life to training.

He trained all four of his children, who have developed into accomplished athletes.

Casey Burgener, 26, just returned home following a successful performance at the 2007 Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Casey received silver in the men's 105-plus kilogram weight class. He lifted enough weight to win the gold medal, but was forced to settle for silver because of a technical mistake in determining the amount of weight to attempt on his final clean and jerk.

“I am very proud of him. To understand this is my son and he is the No. 1 lifter in the U.S. is great,” Mike said. “For me to have started him and to have him enjoy the sport is wonderful.”

Casey will compete in the world championships in November and hopes to take the next step to qualify for the U.S. Olympic team.

Sage, the Burgeners' 17-year-old daughter, is a senior at Rancho Buena Vista High School and a competitive weightlifter. Mike said Sage wants to follow in her brothers' footsteps.

Beau is a 22-year-old who played rugby at California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo, and Cody is a 19-year-old baseball player at Palomar College.

The gym has an extended family of conditioned athletes who have found their way to Mike's Garage.

“We have had incredible people that have come here from all over the world,” Leslie said. “It has made the gym a special place.”

The demographics are off the charts, from professional volleyball players to 14-year-olds with title hopes. Conner Igo is a freshman who hopes Mike can do for him what he did for his brother Collin – guide him to a national weightlifting title. Mike Banyo is a 72-year-old masters lifter who has used Mike's principles to overcome two knee replacements and still be able to bench press 300 pounds.

“We have benefited just as much from the people that have come here as they got from us,” Leslie said. “It's such a great place. Everybody is happy there is a lot of camaraderie. So many people get to enjoy each other through the concept of a literal home gym.”

Tom Price is a freelance writer.

Ellie