PDA

View Full Version : USMC retire and not do Drill Field/Recruiting Duty?

jetdoc
07-27-07, 07:54 PM
Is it possible to do your 20+ in the Marine Corps and not do a tour or two in either the Drill Field or Recruiting Duty?

Always heard you had to do one or the other, just wondering if anyone was able to fly under the radar low enough to not do either and retire?

1stRad2671
07-27-07, 08:21 PM
I don't know any in the 2600 field that have been in a long time and did either.

Sgt D
07-27-07, 09:00 PM
I had a Company Gunny when I was in 3/3 who had been in 18 years without leaving a victor infantry unit.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-07, 07:44 AM
Yes. Certain critical MOS's, while not prohibited from a "B" billet, aren't exactly "encouraged" to take one, either. I can think of several Marines I knew in certain MOS's who retired without ever doing either.

jetdoc
07-28-07, 08:54 AM
Interesting posts..thanks brothers. "B" billets, that was it Jason, thanks.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-07, 09:11 AM
No worries!

redneck13
07-28-07, 12:44 PM
For anyone who is in the Corps, ready to retire, or close, to do a tour of duty as a Drill Instructor, or Recruiter. It sometimes comes, as with me, I put on my "wish" list to be a Drill Instructor. If I'm not mistaken, there are a few that are selected for "recruitment" duty, but it's not a mandatory duty as a Marine. SF.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-07, 01:23 PM
If you refuse orders to DI or recruiting, that is usually grounds for DQ for reenlistment. I knew several Marines in the late 80's who were cut orders for DI school without volunteering.

Not sure about recruiters these days, but from the guys I knew, I believe the same applies. Depends on how many 'volunteers' there are in the pipeline, I guess.

jpal3451
07-29-07, 05:35 PM
I have a Gunny in my shop whos been in 15 years who has never done one.

Sgt D
07-30-07, 03:53 AM
If you refuse orders to DI or recruiting, that is usually grounds for DQ for reenlistment. I knew several Marines in the late 80's who were cut orders for DI school without volunteering.

Not sure about recruiters these days, but from the guys I knew, I believe the same applies. Depends on how many 'volunteers' there are in the pipeline, I guess.

Still the same.