PDA

View Full Version : Marines given three-star praise

thedrifter
07-27-07, 08:07 AM
Marines here with 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 2, were recently visited by Lt. Gen. James Mattis, the commanding general of Marine Central Command, who came to motivate and promote troop welfare, as well as give the Marines a chance to speak one-on-one with him.

Praise was the topic as Mattis took the time to speak to all of the Marines as a whole about their efforts in Al Anbar province, and the progress their work has brought to the area.

“You are all doing one hell of a job,” Mattis remarked. “I can’t thank you enough for putting up with all of this discomfort and continuing to complete the mission.”

With that said, Mattis then turned his attention to complacency while in Iraq, and the risks Marines are taking by allowing themselves to get used to the lifestyle in Iraq.

“All you have to do is hang in there, and keep your eye on the ball,” Mattis said. “We are being killed by complacency. I know it is tough out here, but keep your eye on the ball and you will make it out of here.”

The Marines were also praised for their efforts in training the Iraqi Army and Police forces, who have made a huge impact on the security of the area.

“The Iraqi forces have been doing an excellent job and have helped us reach out to the people,” he said. “Make the jundi your brothers, and keep teaching them to be better soldiers.”

The floor was then turned over to the battalion to ask questions to the lieutenant general. When asked about rumors of pulling out, he offered inspirational words for the Marines to keep fighting until they are home.

“The enemy gambled that they could terrorize their own people in efforts to hurt us, but we have helped them put a stop to it,” Mattis remarked. “It is improving out here, and I know the President is going to keep fighting on until they are safe.”

Lastly, Mattis touched on reenlistments as his closing topic.

“We need every Marine in here to reenlist, and we want to reward you for doing so,” he said. “With your experience, you are the ones we need out here fighting the war. We can’t get what you have been through from new Marines.”