PDA

View Full Version : Judge orders Sudan to pay nearly $8M...REPLY

Phantom Blooper
07-26-07, 08:12 AM
Judge orders Sudan to pay nearly $8M to families of sailors killed in attack on USS Cole

By: KRISTEN GELINEAU - Associated Press

RICHMOND, Va. -- A federal judge on Wednesday ordered Sudan to pay nearly $8 million to the families of 17 sailors killed in the 2000 terrorist attack on the USS Cole.

The families had sought $105 million, but U.S. District Judge Robert G. Doumar in Norfolk ordered Sudan to pay $7.96 million.

Doumar applied the Death on the High Seas Act, which permits compensation for economic losses but not for pain and suffering.

"It is depressing to realize that a country organized on a religious basis with religious rule of law could and would execute its power for purposes which most countries would find intolerable and loathsome," Doumar wrote in his ruling. "It is a further tragedy that the laws of the United States, in this instance, provide no remedy for the psychological and emotional losses suffered by the survivors."

The families accused Sudan's government of providing support, including money and training, that allowed al-Qaida to attack the destroyer while it was in the harbor of Aden, Yemen, on Oct. 12, 2000. In March, Doumar found the African country liable for the attack on the now-repaired Navy destroyer. His ruling Wednesday reaffirmed those findings.

"I was a little bit disappointed in the overall ruling, because we figured we was going to get more, but I'm happy that that part of the case is over," said Lorrie Triplett, 39, of Suffolk, whose husband, Andrew, died on the Cole. "For myself and my girls, I am happy for the ruling -- it will suffice them."

Sudan had sought unsuccessfully to dismiss the lawsuit on the grounds that too much time had passed between the bombing and the filing of the lawsuit in 2004. Lawyers representing the Sudanese government did not offer opening statements or closing arguments or question any witnesses.

An attorney for the families has said it would be up to the lawyers to collect damages from Sudan's assets that have been frozen in the United States.

Hope these families get the monies due. However the lawsuit for the Beirut bombing was award from assets and the money has never been collected or distributed to the surviving family members.:mad:

I may be remiss in saying this, but I would venture to say the lawyers are receiving their %.

thedrifter
07-26-07, 10:53 AM
Money is never the answer for the lost of life, but I do hope it heals their open wounds....

Ellie

Manymoonsago
07-26-07, 11:34 AM
Hope these families get the monies due. However the lawsuit for the Beirut bombing was award from assets and the money has never been collected or distributed to the surviving family members.:mad:

I may be remiss in saying this, but I would venture to say the lawyers are receiving their %.

If the lawyers are on a contingency fee they don't get paid until the money's collected. As far as the Lebanon bombing the suit was based on a 1996 law and the award was made against Iran in 2003. The plaintiffs' lawyers deserve a lot of praise because they've done one hell of a lot of work and spent one hell of a lot of their time and money in a case where they may never be able to collect. The plaintiffs' lawyers in the case are Crowell & Moring, the same firm that represented former Associated Press reporter Terry Anderson in his successful suit against Iran after spending more than seven years as a hostage in Lebanon.