PDA

View Full Version : 31st MEU Arrives to Okinawa from Australia

thedrifter
07-25-07, 07:43 AM
The 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit returned here after a two-month-long deployment to Australia, July 24.

The Marines and Sailors deployed to Australia aboard the USS Essex (LHD 2), USS Tortuga (LSD 46) and USS Juneau (LPD 10) to participate in Exercise Talisman Saber 2007, a biennial bilateral joint training exercise between the U.S. and Australian armed forces.

During the deployment, the MEU Marines and Sailors worked closely with the Australian Defence Force in executing various simulated combat missions. These missions allowed the MEU to enhance interoperability with the Australians while improving regional security towards the Global War on Terror.

“This training exercise was a great experience for us,” said Col. John Mayer, the MEU commanding officer.

“We conducted a combined amphibious landing with the Australians and we got to push far inland utilizing every asset that we have during the operation, to include light and mechanized infantry, deep and amphibious reconnaissance in an environment that allowed us to have all the space we need to train.”

“When you get a chance to shoot, move and communicate in arduous weather, the Marines and Sailors really get a chance to refine their ‘bush skills.’”

“We’ve been partners with the Australian’s for a long time and working with them was a pleasure.”

While the MEU service members worked hard, they were also afforded the opportunity to enjoy the best of what Australia had to offer. The Marines and Sailors visited Sydney, Brisbane and Townsville during several port visits where they enjoyed a total of eight days of well-deserved rest and relaxation.

“I am glad that our Marines and Sailors had this opportunity to see and experience the very best that Australia has to offer,” Mayer said. “The people were absolutely friendly, especially toward Marines and Sailors. I think they went out of their way to make us feel comfortable.”

The MEU service members also conducted nine community relations projects in the port cities they visited to foster goodwill among Australians.

“We did these projects to not only make friends, but to show mutual support toward the Australian community,” said Cmndr Alfonso Concha, the MEU chaplain. “This was also a great opportunity for cultural exchange. The impact that was left on each other was very significant.”

Mayer expressed how thankful he was for the Marines and Sailors with whom he deployed.

“Once again these Marines and Sailors have been absolute ambassadors in showcasing the American character,” Mayer said. “I am very proud of these Marines and Sailors with their hard efforts throughout the training.”

Now that the deployment is over, many Marines and Sailors, such as Cpl. Benjamin Rodriguez, a MEU warehouse clerk, feels good to be back home.

“It’s nice to come home after a deployment,” said Rodriguez, a Bronx, N.Y., native, who reunited with his wife Julissa and two sons, Israel and Jeremy. “It's nice to come back and see how much my two sons have grown. It's also good to be back with my wife.”

His wife Julissa shared similar feelings.

"I've been in Okinawa for two years and this is the first time he's been gone, so it's good to have him back,” she said. “The kids missed him a lot too."

With this homecoming the Marines and Sailors will return to their work sections, and some will return to their families, but nevertheless it is good to be back, added Rodriguez.