PDA

View Full Version : France Sends Chemical Detection Unit to Qatar

thedrifter
03-22-03, 07:22 AM
Sat, Mar 22, 2003

PARIS (Reuters) - France, a staunch opponent of war in Iraq (news - web sites), said on Saturday it would send personnel and chemical, bacteriological and nuclear detection equipment to Qatar, fulfilling a defense pact with the emirate.

The French defense ministry said the move followed a request from Qatar, host to the war command center of General Tommy Franks, overall controller of U.S. and allied forces, and a visit to the emirate on March 16 by Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie.

The deployment, to leave on Saturday, was a result of "defense agreements and to respond favorably to all requests from Qatar to ensure the protection of its territory and population," the ministry said in a statement.

A spokesman said 39 personnel and at least four vehicles were in the army's nuclear, bacteriological and chemical unit, based in Draguignan in southern France.

They would help with detection and possible decontamination.

Alliot-Marie said during her visit to the Qatari capital Doha that in the event of war, France was ready to help Gulf countries with which it has defense pacts to protect themselves, for example from chemical attack.

Sempers,

Roger

firstsgtmike
03-22-03, 10:23 AM
Excuse me!

I thought that france said they were waiting for reliable proof
that Iraq had the capability for chemical and biological warfare.

"Alliot-Marie said during her visit to the Qatari capital Doha that in the event of war, France was ready to help Gulf countries with which it has defense pacts to protect themselves, for example from chemical attack."

Chemical attack? By whom? france is still waiting for proof that the chemicals it sold to Iraq were still in Iraq's possession.

I would apprecate it if reporters would label "Publicity Released" Statements as "Advertising" rather than as "News".

"News" means that the reporter was capable of asking pertinent questions and was either satsfied with the answers, or published the bare statement along with the questions the speaker refused to answer.

Sgt Sostand
03-22-03, 11:20 AM
we dont need the lame a** French