PDA

View Full Version : Twin brothers decide to make career in Marines Corps

thedrifter
07-23-07, 07:27 PM
Twin brothers decide to make career in Marines Corps
From submitted reports

NEW ORLEANS - For twin brothers Ricky and Rodrick Dunn, the Marine Corps will be the key to making their dreams of playing football in the National Football League a reality. The test is to see who gets there first.

The twins entered the U.S. Marines in the buddy program July 2 and will complete basic training in Parris Island, S.C.

The Hattiesburg natives have always competed in the classroom and the football field in hopes to show the smarter, faster and tougher brother. While at Forrest County Agricultural High School in Brooklyn, they both played sports, were good students with ambitions to be professional football players. Rodrick, younger by two minutes, makes sure to point out he rushed for more yards than Ricky during their senior year.

Unfortunately, neither received a scholarship for their football or educational talents. The financial shortfall sent Rodrick to meet with Gunnery Sgt. Watson to see how the Marine Corps could help continue his dream.

"I just kept it real with him. He had a plan to go to college and play football after high school and one day play for the NFL but I showed him how he could still do that with the help of the Marine Corps," Watson said.

After deciding to join the Marines, Rodrick eventually convinced Ricky to also join.

The twins said their parents initially found it difficult to accept that both boys would join the Marines during such turbulent times. The family now supports their decision.

"My mother was totally against us joining at first, but after Gunnery Sgt. Watson sat down and talked to her about the opportunities available in the Corps and after my dad talked to her about letting us grow up, she understood why we wanted to do it," Ricky said.

Although their long-term goals and physical appearance are identical, their reasons for joining the Marine Corps aren't. Travel, adventure and leadership opportunities attracted Ricky. Rodrick said he was liked the financial security and physical fitness the Marine Corps can provide. Even with the benefits, the pair said they are aware of what awaits them and are ready to wear the coveted Marine Corps uniform.

"People are always going to try and tell you something is bad for you if they see you trying to do something positive, but I just know that it's all about what you make it," Ricky said of the naysayers who tried to keep him from joining. "You just have to do what makes you happy."

"No matter what you do, if you go in with a positive attitude and maintain that positive attitude, positive things will happen," Rodrick added.

Ellie