PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally passed DLAB

HellMarcher514
07-23-07, 07:06 PM
I was trying it for the heck of it, but passed. Now my recruiter wants me to some research into the job of Linguist. I was just wondering if a Linguist would mind either replying to this thread or PMing me with some info about what it is I'd be doing as a Linguist -- asside from the 56 (?) week school.

I'm currently set for Infantry which is what I want to do, but I'm open to the idea of switching if it's the sort of job I'd wind up liking.

jackson07
07-23-07, 07:08 PM
If you don't have the personal drive to learn a foreign language don't be a lingusit. I am a 2676 currently at DLI. What exactly do you want to know? For a start you might be intrest in Radio Recon. Do some research on that.

Marine84
07-23-07, 08:40 PM
56 Week School?????

sparkie
07-23-07, 08:44 PM
The human brain is too small for that.

HellMarcher514
07-23-07, 09:19 PM
As a Linguist I'd be doing interpritation right? So would this mostly be diplomatic, or would it be more likely for me to be aiding in tracking down insurgents (if I wound up with Arabic)? I know it mostly depends on the language I'd test into, so if we assume I wound up with a language that I'd actually want to learn, like German, Russian, or Serb-Croat, what would I do? Hang around an Embassy? What would I be doing on a day to day basis as a Linguist, assuming I didn't wind up with Arabic and in Iraq?

1stRad2671
07-23-07, 10:22 PM
63 weeks for Arabic when I did it, maybe longer now?? The 2600 field is Signals Intelligence. Intrepretation is a separate skill which is not what 2600s are taught. Follow-on schools are classified so I can't go there.

While you aren't trained for interpretation, it doesn't mean some dumbass Col. won't try to use you as one. BTDT. I did all sorts of stupid crap while in Iraq that wasn't part of my job description, but I was a special case. Iraqis and govt contractors have interpretation duty in Iraq.

Day to day basis as a linguist? Depends were you end up. Radio Bn -Humvee maintenance, language maintenance, learning about radios, setting up antennas, learning other SIGINT stuff, learning how to work gear that is nothing more than a waste of money. In Radio Recon at Rad BN, the same but more, and more intense courses, more physical, more fun (sometimes).

Day to day at an RSOC (Regional Security Operations Center). Classified stuff, pretty much the same thing every day. Would probably suck at times, but you would be a better linguist. However there are chances to deploy from an RSOC.

You won't be in an embassy, no diplomatic crap. Tracking down insurgents? Well in a way that could be a possibility, just not how you imagine.

HellMarcher514
07-23-07, 11:13 PM
Thanks, I think I'll stick with Infantry then.