PDA

View Full Version : thinking of joining

Jeremy1982
07-23-07, 06:05 PM
Im thinking of joining the corp but I am about 20,000 dollars in debt I was wondering if I should join the reserves so I can keep my job and pay my debts off, any feedback would be appreciated. Thankyou

sparkie
07-23-07, 06:32 PM
Student loans I would guess. As far as your loans go, you could consider the Marines as a job also. Have a job, pay your debt. If you are "thinking" about joining but finding excuses, Maybe you are not ready. Reserves? there is no such thing. Marines are Marines. You think you can be 1/2 a marine by joining? Doesn't work that way. Reserves die too, and pay their debts.

Cash2053
07-23-07, 06:39 PM
I would not worry about it. Either you want to be a Marine or you do not. If you really want to become a Marine then that should not stop you.The amount of debt you have, you will be able to pay it off while on active duty.

Zulu 36
07-23-07, 06:50 PM
Im thinking of joining the corp but I am about 20,000 dollars in debt I was wondering if I should join the reserves so I can keep my job and pay my debts off, any feedback would be appreciated. Thankyou

You can request a forebearance on your debt payments (interest still acrues where applicable). They can give you a year, then you can negotiate a repayment rate suitable for your income.

I'll trade you FA debts. Mine are $100K and climbing.