PDA

View Full Version : Man experiences 'things that most people can only dream of'

thedrifter
07-23-07, 11:11 AM
Jul 23, 2007
Man experiences 'things that most people can only dream of'

By Tom Smith
Senior Staff Writer
SHEFFIELD -- Charles "Chuck'' Thompson sat in the back booth of the Country Porch Restaurant.

Carefully, he unfolded precious documents, shifted his glasses and started to read. As he read and talked, there was an unmistakable sense of pride in his voice.

The documents that Thompson read from, and relished over, were his history, his legacy.

"I got to do a lot of things and experienced a lot of things that most people can only dream of,'' said the 81-year-old Thompson.

His experiences range from attending Sheffield High School to being in World War II and playing football for the military.

Thompson was born in Walker County and later moved to Sheffield with his family, where he was raised.

"I went to high school at Sheffield, but I talked my parents into letting me join the Marines in 1943 when I was 17,'' he said. "I felt it was my duty to go, and I wasn't doing any good in school.''

His military career spanned 15 years, 10 months and two days. He served in the Marines, Air Force and Alabama Army National Guard.

During his military career, Thompson saw action in World War II in two Pacific campaigns. As a sniper with the Marines, he participated in landings at Saipan and Tinian. He had made three military landings in combat by the time he was 19.

At the end of World War II, Thompson said he had a chance to serve on embassy duty in Paris, Rome and London.

"That sure beat the 24 months I was in the Pacific,'' he said, smiling.

After more than four years with the Marines, his brother, Jessie Thompson, a member of the Air Force, talked him into joining the Air Force.

In the Air Force, while stationed in Alaska, he had an opportunity to play football on a military team.

"I played second string end in high school in 1942, and in camp they had a team and were looking for someone who could catch the ball. I told them I could,'' Thompson said. "I tried out and made the team.''

Thompson played for six years in the military, in Alaska and in Burtonwood, England, after being transferred.

While playing the final season in Alaska, Thompson's coach was 1945 Heisman Trophy winner Felix "Doc'' Blanchard, an All-America fullback at Army.

"I hated to play defense, but I played defense and offense,'' Thompson said. "I'll never forget one game we played (when Blanchard was the coach). It was the only game we lost.

"We lost 14-6. After the game, he told me it was the best defensive game he had ever seen. I was so beat up that I couldn't even take my uniform off by myself.

"But what he said really made me proud.''

Thompson's last few years in the service and on the football teams were spent in England. In 1952, he played one year with Jack Redwine, who was from Cherokee and later went on to start at Florence State Teachers College. On that same team was B.J. Phillips, of Florence, who played at Coffee. And in his last two seasons of playing, his coach was James K. Lovette, of Red Bay.

"Here I am half way across the world, playing football with men who lived closed to me,'' he said with a grin.

During his military football career, Thompson said he scored 30 touchdowns.

His last season, at the age of 29, he caught 47 passes and scored 11 touchdowns.

"I was fast back then,'' said Thompson, who was 6 feet 1 and weighed 190 pounds. "I thought every time I got my hands on the ball I could score and I tried to.''

While playing football turned into his passion, Thompson said he and his teammates never lost sight of why they were in the military.

Thompson talked about how tough it is to fight in a war.

"I don't know if I would have joined if I knew how hard it was going to be. My socks rotted off my feet twice while we were in combat,'' he said. "But I'm proud of my service record. I'll be a patriot until the day I die.''

As Thompson sat in his booth talking, workers at the restaurant kept a watchful eye on him, making sure he didn't need anything.

After all, he's been coming to the restaurant twice a day every day it's open for 18 years.

"He's a very special person,'' said Tammy Bevis, owner of the restaurant. "He eats and shares his stories with the customers. They love to listen, and he loves to talk with them.

"We've all kind of adopted him. If he doesn't show up, we call to check on him. He's a very sweet person.''

"I really don't have any family left,'' Thompson said. "These girls are my family. It makes me feel good to know they think so much of me.''

Although Thompson never got a formal education, he did get his GED. He said his experiences were very educational.

"I didn't know anything when I left home,'' he said, "but the education I got has lasted me a lifetime. I've got the memories to go with it.''

Tom Smith can be reached at 740-5757 or tom.smith@timesdaily.com.

Ellie