PDA

View Full Version : question

gatormatt
03-22-03, 12:06 AM
Tomorrow a 2 star General is having breakfast with all the OCS poolees from my area. We are meeting him at the airport before he leaves. I'm not really sure about what to wear. I was thinking khaki pants and a tucked in collared shirt. Is this respectful enough, or should a maybe wear a long sleeve shirt and a tie?

gatormatt
03-22-03, 12:10 AM
Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm going to bed now. I'll read any answers in the morning.

wrbones
03-22-03, 12:27 AM
sounds like ya got it covered kiddo. Don't sweat the small ****.

gatormatt
03-22-03, 06:53 AM
thanks

DevilPup2004
03-23-03, 05:35 PM
How'd it go, Bro? I know how you feel/felt... I represented the Civil Air Patrol at the Women In Aviation Conference this weekend, and there were 5 USAF Generals wandering around. 4 One Stars and a Two Star. The strangest part for me was that I was wearing a USAF blues uniform. Since we're the Air Force Auxiliary, we get their surplus gear. Anyway, I was one of three Cadets representing the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program.

Heh. One of the Generals asked me point blank: "So, are you going into the Air Force?" I grinned. "No, Ma'am. I'm going into the Marine Corps!"

gatormatt
03-23-03, 07:18 PM
It went well. His speech that he was giving before he met us at the airport ran a little long, so he only got to eat a couple donuts then he had to go. He asked everyone what they wanted to do after comissioning and then told us that we should be proud of ourselves. The usual kinda speech, but coming from a general General it was a little better than usual.

gatormatt
03-23-03, 07:20 PM
what do you want to fly devilpup

DevilPup2004
03-24-03, 08:01 PM
Good to go, Bro.

I'm still learning about different aircrafts, so I'm really not sure at this point. I'm thinking C-130s would be absolutely outstanding. Naturally, I wouldn't be unhappy flying a jet or a helicopter, either.

But none of that really matters at this point in time; first I'll need to become a Marine. I also need to get a 4-year degree, and my high school diploma would be only slightly helpful in that quest. So, yeah... I've got a while. :p

Barrio_rat
03-31-03, 01:22 AM
Good thinkin' with the C-130's... Most want the 'glory' of the fast movers - C-130 is the work horse of Marine Air. Up side to the C-130.. Ya get some pretty good deployments, ya don't have to land on an Aircraft Carier and it's got a big trunk! Makes shopping sprees in Seoul, Osan, Iwakuni, Hong Kong, etc etc etc pretty nice. ;)

Sixguns
03-31-03, 07:58 PM
Might be nice to know who he was and what role he plays in the Corps. Never know when your paths may cross again.

SF,

gatormatt
04-01-03, 12:08 AM
You know, he had this shy second lieutenant announce his name when he entered the room, and were on the other side of the room. I think he is in charge of recruitment for the country? He worked...

Sixguns
04-04-03, 07:46 PM
you met MajGen. Christopher Cortez.

He is the Commanding General of Marine Corps Recruiting Command and is my boss (officiating my retirement cermony too). He spends a lot of time travelling the country in support of his recruiters and OSOs.

gatormatt
04-06-03, 01:59 PM
Yes sir, that is exactly who it was.

I just got back from a weekend mini-OCS at Camp Blanding in Florida. What a great experience. The platoon i was in got lucky and had a great DI. He is a senior DI at PI, his name was Diggs. He did a great job, mentored us a lot and made sure we know what to expect. While we were there we went on a hike, did some drill, land nav, fire team tactics, o course, M-16 assembly (disassembly). I learned a whole lot. This morning we had a PFT. I set my best, got a 300. In the run i was first place for the candidates, I was beat by an infantry Captain McDunough? He destroyed me in the last 400 meters. I'm gonna try to beat him next year.
Overall it was a great experience, and I recommend that any poolees with the chance to have experience with DI's or other Marines in some sort off introductory program should take it. I can't wait to go to OCS again so I can learn some more.

Matt