PDA

View Full Version : Cya in a few Demo.

jetdoc
07-22-07, 11:04 AM
Got to know Demo a bit prior to him shipping out..actually he is heading down to the recruiters today and then to the hotel, then shipping Monday.

I remember the feeling of the last day or so...its a lot to grasp. To me the fear of the unknown was right up there. There was no internet or any other place to get advise from, or tips from, other than former Marines or recruiters. So we went in more blind than you guys do today..that actually may have been better in some respects. I pretty much got my view of the Marines from Vietnam vets or my recruiter...the Vietnam guys made it sound very scarey...nervous lol.

Just like I've advised any of you pooless going to boot camp, and so have most other Marines that spend time down here....its mostly mental. Unless you're really out of shape the physical part isn't TOO difficult. Its not easy but its not THAT difficult...emphasis on TOO and THAT.

The Drill Instructors are trying to weed out the non-hackers and those that don't have a "I'm not ever freaken giving up" attitude. Its an exclusive club, thus one of the titles, "The Few and the Proud".

Not everyone can make it...just hang tough and be mentally strong, then you too can PERHAPS earn the right to say you're a UNITED STATES MARINE..and you will say that for the rest of your life....ohh freaken rah!!!

Cya in three months Demo, hopefully calling you, Marine.

Marine84
07-22-07, 02:41 PM
I remember the feeling of the last day or so...its a lot to grasp.

AMEN MY BROTHER!

I remember that bus ride (I'm from SC so I didn't have to go that far) from Spartanburg, SC to Columbia, SC (Meps) then to PI - between Columbia and PI, we must have stopped at every little back woods a$$ hell hole little places to live to drop folks off and, by the time we got to PI, there was me and 1 guy - the driver dropped him off first and we had to wake a DI up to let me in. I was scared to DEATH! When I finally got to lay my head down that night, I remember thinking WHAT IN THE HELL HAVE I DONE?

You young ones will be able to do it - no problem - there have been MANY before you that have already cleared the path for you.

yellowwing
07-22-07, 03:38 PM
I shipped from Tennessee. That smell was what I remember the most. Still today when I get near the ocean I remember Parris Island.

Demo is a good kid. I look forward to calling him Brother.

jetdoc
07-22-07, 04:58 PM
I hear you wing, we all have certain things that cause us to remember PI. Demo is a good kid...a real old timer at 27 to be going to bootcamp, lol. I think the age thing will help him. And lets not forget, the oldest recruit to ever graduate from MCRD was a young lad at the age of 50.

sgt tony
07-22-07, 07:36 PM
ok Jet who was that and when?

jetdoc
07-23-07, 07:45 AM
Come on Tony, its common knowledge isn't it, lol. Here is the cut and paste from MCRD PI...its Paul Douglas, did it in '42 at the age of 50. I posed this question over on the trivia thread.

"The Douglas Visitors’ Center is the initial point of contact for more than 100,000 visitors to Parris Island each year.
The center is named in honor of
Paul H. Douglas, who, in 1942 at the age of 50, was the oldest Marine recruit to have completed recruit training. After attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel in 1946, he left the Marine Corps and went on to become a U.S. Senator in Illinois."

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/images/douglas_viscenter2.jpg