PDA

View Full Version : Medical Problems from Desert Shield/Storm

SgtHopperUSMC
07-21-07, 05:22 PM
Just thought I would start something new. Anyone else have skin problems most notably on the arms? I have sores that end up leaving scars on the forearms. I figured it was because we always shaved our face and most of the rest of the body was covered. I was in the smoke for over a month while working the minefields.

jetdoc
07-21-07, 06:05 PM
Hey Hopp, wish I could help brother...stay strong.

Messenger
07-29-07, 08:31 AM
Your not alone,

I have the same problem with my forearms. My skin breaks out and leaves scars and I have a lot of psoriasis on my legs and scalp.

I don’t know exactly what it is from but I know it all started while I was over there. I get headaches a lot and eight or nine months out of the year I feel like I have a stomach flue. My nose is always plugged up or running and I cant remember not having breathing problems since before the war.

After fighting this stuff now for over fifteen years I finally went to the VA for some help. Just last week I filed some claims with the VA. One is under “multiple undiagnosed illnesses” and some other claims as well as PTSD.

It is hard to guess what all started it exactly but I suspect all that time I spent in the smoke from the oil well fires didn’t help any. After about a day my uniform was drenched in oil and all that oily ash was in and on everything including food and water. I remember them making us take those pills before the war too. I have never heard anything good about them.

Simper fi

echo7
08-02-07, 08:01 PM
When I returned I had Hives so bad abd so often I now have to stay on antihistamenes, I also have problems digesting some foods I never had a problem with before. Anybody had skin cancer remover. I have 5 or 6 places

:usmc: :usmc:

sparkie
08-02-07, 08:20 PM
Damn Marines.... I wish you all well. It's hard to second guess nature,,, And It's harder to second guess our bending of nature, I wish you all the best.

CplMikeCox
09-12-07, 09:11 PM
I developed an itchy, painful rash shortly after returning home. It flaired up for years, covering about 30% of my body(back and legs) and left scars. I saw six doctors some Navy, some civilian and three dermatologists. They called it everything from ringworm to eczema, one doc even said that it was in my head- stress induced. In 2001, a doc byopsied a chunk and called it dermatophyte fungus. He gave me sporanox pills and nizoral cream. It has only returned once since then and another round of meds cleared it right up.

It sounds like several combat engineers are having this problem, could it be the minefields or another common link?

Chumley
09-12-07, 09:24 PM
My bro had a healthy child before Shield / Storm, then an autistic child after returning home. Another familiar story from our era. Semper Fi Brothers!!

SgtHopperUSMC
09-13-07, 01:06 PM
I developed an itchy, painful rash shortly after returning home. It flaired up for years, covering about 30% of my body(back and legs) and left scars. I saw six doctors some Navy, some civilian and three dermatologists. They called it everything from ringworm to eczema, one doc even said that it was in my head- stress induced. In 2001, a doc byopsied a chunk and called it dermatophyte fungus. He gave me sporanox pills and nizoral cream. It has only returned once since then and another round of meds cleared it right up.

It sounds like several combat engineers are having this problem, could it be the minefields or another common link? Hey Mike this is Mark Hopper. I too have an undiagnosed skin disorder. small pimple like bumps on my arms that scab over then leave a scar. I also have psoriosis ( bet I spelled it wrong ) The VA gave me a 20% disability. I lost two children one was a tubal pregnancy and the other died in the womb. This was by two different wives. I do have a 17 yr old boy and a soon to be 8 yr old girl. The boy from the first wife the girl from the second. I can no longer have children I decided to not chance it again. I am currently married for the 3rd and final time. :)

CplMikeCox
09-13-07, 08:47 PM
Sgt Hopper and others with skin rashes-
I would encourage you to have your doc check for dermatophyte fungus. I got lucky, I was in the ER for another matter and happened to get an old Navy doc. In passing he said he could clear up my rash- it was something he had seen overseas. So after 10 years, I finally got my answer. The rashes you describe sound very much like what I had, that so many docs mis-diagnosed.