PDA

View Full Version : Parris Island - Good Read!

ENGR1371
07-21-07, 10:37 AM
PARRIS ISLAND

If you have been here, you know my name, My name is Parris
Island.I was officially started in 1915 and I've seen recruits come and go by the thousands. If you were here when you got here by ferry boat, then you are truly old Corps. All recruits see my main gate only twice, once on the way in and once on the way out.Mostly you come by bus in the middle of the night. Tall,short,fat, skinny, black and white, long hair, short hair.You come through my main gate laughing some scared, mostly you act like teenagers, mostly you are teenagers.You each come here for your own reasons, but most come to test themselves, most need a direction in their lives. As you pass through my main gate your lives will change from that point on. I hope to see you leave as Marines, but you will not all leave together as Marines.Some will leave by themselves ,not Marines. They did not make the goal, my heart goes out to them, but not everyone can be a Marine. But today my heart is full of pride, for the next graduation of recruits, now MARINES, is leaving my front gate, teenagers no more but young men & women with a history to live up to.13 weeks and just look at the change. You know this is a happy day for me, but my best days are yet to come. That's when these Marines come back to see me 20, 30, 40 years from now. Oh yea, a lot of the old ones come back to see me, they have not forgottenOld Parris Island and I have not forgotten them. Former Marines and I have this bond, it's in our blood, it's PRIDE it is where it all started for both of us. My sad days are the ones that those that can't come back to see me those that were killed in WW1, WW11,Korea,Viet Nam, Beirut and all the little actions around the world. Hey, I've got to go have a bus load coming in tonight and one leaving in the morning...SEMPER FI!! You all come back and see me you hear!!

thedrifter
07-21-07, 10:51 AM
:thumbup:

Ellie

Marine84
07-21-07, 12:07 PM
Right the hell ON!!!!! That's cool! But the dang thing got a little blurry there at the end...........................I got the same feeling when I rode back through that gate 20 years later - I didn't realize the first time that that road was so long from the gate to where you actually start seeing buildings.

Awesome! May I borrow it?

ENGR1371
07-21-07, 08:12 PM
Right the hell ON!!!!! That's cool! But the dang thing got a little blurry there at the end...........................I got the same feeling when I rode back through that gate 20 years later - I didn't realize the first time that that road was so long from the gate to where you actually start seeing buildings.

Awesome! May I borrow it?

Yes Marine, You May Borrow It, It's not mine! It's Ours! We the Marines! We earned it!
SEMPER FI DEVIL DOG!

jetdoc
07-21-07, 10:33 PM
........."That's when these Marines come back to see me 20, 30, 40 years from now. Oh yea, a lot of the old ones come back to see me, they have not forgottenOld Parris Island and I have not forgotten them."...........

Well the above paragraph was me last month, its so very true. Great post ENGR, way excellent!!!

Semper Fi.

ErikHeiker
07-24-07, 03:19 PM
I was a Hollywood Marine. My recruiter told me to take sun glasses, tanning lotion and a nice set of golf clubs.

USMCmailman
07-24-07, 07:57 PM
A hand salute to all P.I. graduates------I was there in 1967. :marine:

Bruce59
07-25-07, 06:56 PM
I thought it was a good read when I wrote it. Don't mind you sharing, but why did you take my name off it?

Bruce59

jinelson
07-25-07, 08:31 PM
by Bruce59 - I thought it was a good read when I wrote it. Don't mind you sharing, but why did you take my name off it?

Bruce59 I posted on "Todays Moto" thread but gave you full credit. I felt that it was motivating and something that should be shared with our Poolees and wannabes. http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showpost.php?p=263613&postcount=241

Jim

Bruce59
07-25-07, 10:55 PM
Jim, thanks for informing me, hope they liked it. I don't have a problem with someone using something I wrote as long as credit is given, enough said and it's time to move on.

Bruce59

http://wallofhonor.bravehost.com

ENGR1371
07-26-07, 04:04 AM
I thought it was a good read when I wrote it. Don't mind you sharing, but why did you take my name off it?

Bruce59

No hard feelings! I had it e-mailed to me by one of my friends awhile ago! I didn't know who wrote it! It's quite an exceptional read! All due respect to you Bruce59 & I thank you!

Bruce59
07-26-07, 10:15 AM
No hard feelings! I had it e-mailed to me by one of my friends awhile ago! I didn't know who wrote it! It's quite an exceptional read! All due respect to you Bruce59 & I thank you!

ENGR1371, Like you said no hard feelings. I asked, you answered, both of us were respectful to the other. You have a good day Marine.

Bruce 1883755

Eric Hood
08-04-07, 01:20 PM
:evilgrin: Great read! I congratulate you. I went back in 2003 after 25 years. The DI's still put the fear of God into me.
Semper Fi, PI:flag:

jetdawgg
08-04-07, 01:40 PM
:usmc:

ringoffire
08-04-07, 06:57 PM
Great read

Bruce59
08-05-07, 06:25 PM
The title is My Name Is Parris Island, not Parris Island.

Bruce

http://wallofhonor.beavehost.com