PDA

View Full Version : New Top Secret Construction at Area 51

thedrifter
07-21-07, 09:28 AM
George Knapp, Chief Investigative Reporter
I-Team: New Top Secret Construction at Area 51

July 19, 2007 01:05 AM

Something big is in the works at Nevada's legendary Area 51 military base. A massive new building is under construction at the top secret location. Aviation experts say there's a good chance that a new, highly classified aircraft might soon be zipping around the Nevada skies.

What kind of aircraft? One possibility is a successor to the SR-71 spy plane, the SR-72.

The SR-71 Blackbird is widely regarded as the greatest airplane ever built. It sliced through the sky at Mach 3 and still reigns, officially anyway, as the fastest plane in history. Groom Lake, also known as Area 51, was home for the Blackbird during its early days. The question is -- will Area 51 also be the location of choice for the development of a successor, and maybe more than one?

A photo of a new building under construction at Area 51 has raised tantalizing possibilities for the civilian researchers who dabble in such topics. No one can say for certain what the building will be used for, but aviation historian Peter Merlin says the one thing we can say is that it's one big hangar.

"It probably measures 275 feet by 600 feet. It's no larger than hangars at other bases, but it certainly is the largest at Area 51," Peter Merlin said.

Satellite photos confirm Area 51 already has two dozen hangars, including some less than two years old. So what's going on out there?

The hangar could be a central maintenance facility, machine shop and or simulator training center. But aviation writers are thinking more exotic thoughts. For months, there's been speculation in aviation circles about a successor to the SR-71, call it the SR-72. Model airplane companies already have their version of the so called "dark bird," which theoretically could fly twice as fast as the Blackbird.

Peter Merlin says he's been told by engineers at Lockheed that the SR-72 project was canceled, but new reports in aviation media note the Air Force has just awarded a new contract to Lockheed for a plane that sounds exactly like the SR-72, a Mach 6 reconnaissance plane that could also carry weapons, and unlike the SR-71, this one would be unmanned.

It would make for a comfy fit inside that new hangar. But Merlin thinks there are other possibilities also in the works at Groom Lake.

"There are at least seven and maybe as many as eleven manned classified air craft that have not yet been unveiled that have been flying since 1985 and countless unmanned programs as well. Most of these things have been tested there. I know some of the guys that have flown these airplanes," Merlin continued.

Among the suspects is something called the Black Manta, a stealthy hypersonic craft that might explain the wispy images captured in a few photos around the world. Various black triangle-type craft have been spotted over American military bases and cities for years, some of them huge in size, big enough to require a big hangar.

Aviation journalist Bill Sweetman has long argued for the existence of the Aurora, another plane rumored to have been flown at Groom Lake. Sweetman says black budget figures hint at the existence of the plane, which some have dubbed the SR-75 penetrator. Whichever of these ambitious projects ends up in full development, it's abundantly clear that the testing location of choice for top secret planes is still Area 51.

The Lockheed Company, whose so-called Skunkworks plant developed the U-2, SR-71, and stealth fighter -- all of which were test flown out at Area 51 -- says it will not comment on its new Air Force contract.

The Air Force is also not talking.

www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/barrier/machines.html

Ellie

Old Marine
07-21-07, 09:52 AM
What ever it is, IT IS NO ONE's BUSINESS..........

lwj2
07-21-07, 11:05 AM
Loose lips sink ships.

Just as true now as in WW2.

sgt8089
07-21-07, 12:15 PM
I was There for REDFLAG in 87 . The last under ground nuke test! I agree hush!!!

yellowwing
07-21-07, 02:41 PM
"It probably measures 275 feet by 600 feet. It's no larger than hangars at other bases, but it certainly is the largest at Area 51," Peter Merlin said.
Dang, those weather balloons are getting bigger every decade! :nerd:

ggyoung
07-21-07, 03:29 PM
There is a rummer going around that part of Area 51 has moved to the missile luncg site south of Green River, Utah.

yellowwing
07-21-07, 03:34 PM
If that place really does exist, China will be surprised as hell at the stuff we come up with if they make a move on Taiwan! :evilgrin:

kato811
07-22-07, 08:19 PM
build it and they will come

3077India
07-22-07, 08:55 PM
What ever it is, IT IS NO ONE's BUSINESS.......... :nerd: Really? How our tax dollars is spent isn't the taxpayers business? :confused: :p

sparkie
07-22-07, 09:02 PM
My security,,, my tax dollars,,,,, none of my business, till I'm called up. get over it.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-23-07, 05:51 AM
I would rather not know about stuff like this/that until I need to know. Personally, I think censorship of the media as a whole, is a good thing during wartime.

When I was an 0231 during the cold war, we used to call the magazine "Aviation Week", "Aviation Leak", due to their penchant for publishing photos of US aircraft. They were a great 'open source' doc. for the commies.

kato811
07-23-07, 05:16 PM
wont it be called something like AREA 52 ?

lwj2
07-23-07, 06:58 PM
When I was a COTR to ONR (~ 1978-1981) we called it Aviation Leak & Spaced-out Technology.

:)

lwj

I would rather not know about stuff like this/that until I need to know. Personally, I think censorship of the media as a whole, is a good thing during wartime.

When I was an 0231 during the cold war, we used to call the magazine "Aviation Week", "Aviation Leak", due to their penchant for publishing photos of US aircraft. They were a great 'open source' doc. for the commies.

LCPLE3
07-24-07, 07:35 PM
attention!!!

area 51 Does Not Exist!!!

You Have Been Warned!!!

Phantom Blooper
07-24-07, 07:47 PM
Area 51 Never has existed......

kato811
07-24-07, 08:20 PM
they need a new place to hide the flyin saucers at the old one is full

use2b
07-25-07, 06:27 AM
Sorry to say it but my guess is that China has their people heading the project.

LCPLE3
07-26-07, 07:20 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/lcple3/tinfoil-hat.jpg

lucien2
07-27-07, 07:24 AM
I was There for REDFLAG in 87 . The last under ground nuke test! I agree hush!!!

I was there for Redflag in 82' , shhhhhh.........

sgt8089
08-23-07, 01:13 PM
To all of You doubters,Sorry , It does exist it is for real !!! The reality is , that is a highly classified area ! Area 51 produces and test some very important military items that are essential for our national security! Like the saying what ever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas ! Delete the Vegas and Add area 51 !!!

lwj2
08-23-07, 05:52 PM
Give it up, Sarge, some folks never take a hint, some never get a clue.

lwj2
(former AEC contractor)

Ironrider
08-23-07, 07:21 PM
Shhhhhhhhh....They have the "Jupiter 2"...and the robot...don't tell anyone...:D

sparkie
08-23-07, 07:35 PM
Everyone!!!! tinfoil hats,,, Now!

Messenger
08-23-07, 07:54 PM
They are building a new crib for Elvis for when he returns form outer space with his alien buddies!:p

sparkie
08-23-07, 07:56 PM
Elvis has left the building,,, TAD

Messenger
08-23-07, 07:58 PM
ROFLMAO just went to google earth and entered “area 51”.

yep is shows it all pretty good. So much for six foot fences LOL!

Simper Fi :flag:

sparkie
08-23-07, 08:39 PM
Area 51 does not exist,,,Exist,,,,Exist,,,Exist.