PDA

View Full Version : What Is A Royal Marine?

3BadgeMarine
07-19-02, 12:05 PM
:) Between the security of childhood and the insecurity of a second childhood,we find a fascinating group of men called
"BOOTNECKS".They come in all shapes and sizes,in boats,in trucks,in Barracks,in pubs,in love,in trouble and always in debt.

Girls love them,towns tolerate them,their enemies fear them,and the government supports them.A bootneck is laziness with a pack
of cards,deadly with a set of darts and the protector of the earth
on half a dozen pints.He has the co-ordination of a handcuffed crab,the strengh of a shire horse,the speed of a racehorse and the brains of a rocking horse,as well as the stories of a sea captain and the aspirations of Casanova.Amongst some of his interests are girls,women,females,dames,birds,chicks and the opposite sex.

His dislikes include answering letters,wearing uniform,pongos (army),matelots,officers,provost sergeants and RSM's,he likes to spend most of his money on beer,women and gambling. The rest he squanders foolishly.

A Royal Marine is a magical creature;you can lock him out of your home but not your heart.You can cross him out of your adddress book but not your mind.He is your one and only bleary-eyed,good for nothing bundle of worries.But all your shattered dreams become whole again when he comes staggering home,looks at you with those big bloodshot eyes and says

"HELLO LOVE GET YOUR KIT OFF"

thedrifter
08-03-02, 08:47 AM
I came across this website of Brothers Across the Pond......

http://www.civvie-street.co.uk/javamenu.htm

Sempers,

Roger

Royal Marines

Footsteps, blood red from glories of the past.
Fleeting moments, memories, cannot last.
Hail the heros swathed in gold,
Laurel bedecked men of steel, with manner bold.
Blood red footsteps ever onward plod,
Ever forwards over sunscorched sod.
Through hail and sleet, snow and rain,
Never falter, advancing strain,
Irrespective of terrain.
Through frozen, sunstroked, retching ill,
They are tere to fight and fight they will,
They'll battle with courage, and consummate skill,
For defeat is a far too bitter pill.
They wear a Green beret, they wear it with pride,
They laugh at adversity and brush it aside.
Yet they are but human, they feel fear, they feel pain,
But when they are in action they never complain.
They reach their objective, capture or kill,
What they do they do with a will.
They are men of distinction, the cream of the crop,
They surmount every obstacle, they never do stop.
For they are the finest the worlds ever seen,
The ultimate professional fighting machine.
They are the first and they are the foremost.
They lay their lives on the line for country and Queen,
But they think nothing of it.
They are the Royal Marines.

http://www.once-a-marine.co.uk/rmfaces.gif

harry hackedoff
08-05-02, 06:50 PM
Thanks, Drifter,
We`ll do all that , and we`ll buy you a pint as well.
Thanks ,again to Ron Rosenthal for the initial invite.
Nice to be back on board with y`all,

Sempers and Per Mare,

Aye, Harry;)

thedrifter
08-05-02, 07:14 PM
Hi Harry,

I want to Welcome you aboard and glad to see you here.

We all are Marines and part of a small brotherhood known throughout the whole world.

Will raise a pint with you anytime.

Again Welcome Aboard.

Sempers,

Roger

harry hackedoff
08-05-02, 07:21 PM
Thanks, Drifter, there are many across the pond who visit this site
Further to that,
if Ron and Gary39 would like to e-mail me, I would like them to help in what we call a "wind up"
Aye, Harry

TeufelHunden
08-08-02, 09:39 AM
...Is that you?!? Glad you finally navigated your way across the big blue sea again. Have you met our mascot Mr Banana? :banana:

thedrifter
03-27-04, 08:37 AM
Bring Back Up......

Ellie

d c taveapont
04-01-04, 08:47 PM
In 72 i was on a med cruise and i was with some royal Marines on a ship. hms destron II second to none. they shared their beer with the sqd. it was about the same time that they had the suez canal incident.. American indian are you "mate" or "bloke". it was fun trying to explain myself. but they understood....good chaps.:marine:

kentmitchell
04-09-04, 06:32 PM
I love this one by Kipling:
"Soldier an' Sailor Too"

As I was spittin' into the Ditch aboard o' the Crocodile,
I seed a man on a man-o'-war got up in the Reg'lars' style.
'E was scrapin' the paint from off of 'er plates, an' I sez to 'im, "'Oo are you?"
Sez 'e, "I'm a Jolly -- 'Er Majesty's Jolly -- soldier an' sailor too!"
Now 'is work begins by Gawd knows when, and 'is work is never through;
'E isn't one o' the reg'lar Line, nor 'e isn't one of the crew.
'E's a kind of a giddy harumfrodite -- soldier an' sailor too!

An' after I met 'im all over the world, a-doin' all kinds of things,
Like landin' 'isself with a Gatlin' gun to talk to them 'eathen kings;
'E sleeps in an 'ammick instead of a cot, an' 'e drills with the deck on a slew,
An' 'e sweats like a Jolly -- 'Er Majesty's Jolly -- soldier an' sailor too!
For there isn't a job on the top o' the earth the beggar don't know, nor do --
You can leave 'im at night on a bald man's 'ead, to paddle 'is own canoe --
'E's a sort of a bloomin' cosmopolouse -- soldier an' sailor too.

We've fought 'em in trooper, we've fought 'em in dock, and drunk with 'em in betweens,
When they called us the seasick scull'ry-maids, an' we called 'em the Ass Marines;
But, when we was down for a double fatigue, from Woolwich to Bernardmyo,
We sent for the Jollies -- 'Er Majesty's Jollies -- soldier an' sailor too!
They think for 'emselves, an' they steal for 'emselves, and they never ask what's to do,
But they're camped an' fed an' they're up an' fed before our bugle's blew.
Ho! they ain't no limpin' procrastitutes -- soldier an' sailor too.

You may say we are fond of an 'arness-cut, or 'ootin' in barrick-yards,
Or startin' a Board School mutiny along o' the Onion Guards;
But once in a while we can finish in style for the ends of the earth to view,
The same as the Jollies -- 'Er Majesty's Jollies -- soldier an' sailor too!
They come of our lot, they was brothers to us; they was beggars we'd met an' knew;
Yes, barrin' an inch in the chest an' the arm, they was doubles o' me an' you;
For they weren't no special chrysanthemums -- soldier an' sailor too!

To take your chance in the thick of a rush, with firing all about,
Is nothing so bad when you've cover to 'and, an' leave an' likin' to shout;
But to stand an' be still to the Birken'ead drill is a damn tough bullet to chew,
An' they done it, the Jollies -- 'Er Majesty's Jollies -- soldier an' sailor too!
Their work was done when it 'adn't begun; they was younger nor me an' you;
Their choice it was plain between drownin' in 'eaps an' bein' mopped by the screw,
So they stood an' was still to the Birken'ead drill, soldier an' sailor too!

We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves, an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style (which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).
But it makes you think better o' you an' your friends, an' the work you may 'ave to do,
When you think o' the sinkin' Victorier's Jollies -- soldier an' sailor too!
Now there isn't no room for to say ye don't know -- they 'ave proved it plain and true --
That whether it's Widow, or whether it's ship, Victorier's work is to do,
An' they done it, the Jollies -- 'Er Majesty's Jollies -- soldier an' sailor too!

DanCross
05-02-04, 04:15 PM
When I was on Parris Island, a retired Captain from the Royal Marines (World War II vet) came and gave our company a presentation on our brothers across the pond. It was great; I've never known too much about our British counterparts and was happy to get a chance to be educated. The best thing this gentleman said was when explaining the components of the Royal Marines Emblem to us: ``You have the Western Hemisphere on your Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. We have the Eastern Hemisphere on ours. I've always said that between the two Corps we have the whole world covered.'' Semper Fi and Per Mare Per Terram.

Bandit4
05-26-04, 08:13 PM
British Royal Marines are worthy of the title Marine! I'm proud of our history and relationship to them.

Slightly off the subject, I am a Brit Royal Marine with the 1st Royal Marine Division, British Expeditionary Forces, currently serving in WWII. OK, now you are all wondering what is going on with this guy!

Let me explain. There is a virtual online battlefield called WWII Online. It recreates part of Europe and eastern Britain in May, 1940. The allies are the British and French against the invading Germans. They have conquered almost all of Holland, half of Belgium and have just crossed the border into France. Anyone can play this game on any side they want. There are people who switch sides frequently, but most join a unit and fight to the death for their side. The Marines never switch!

This is not just a game. There is nothing like it. It is the worlds largest online game and nothing compares to it. There is a winner!! We can and have stopped the Germans in the past even though they outnumber us. Now I don't understand why so many people would play German, but they do. As for me, I always play British and am a member of the 1st Royal Marine Divison, 1st Marine Rifles Brigade.

Yes, there are units you can join, with commanding officers, executive officers, an Allied Commander in Chief with a staff and other positions. The Allied High Command (AHC) decides what equipment they want to buy and fight with, as the Axis High Command does also.

You can fly a plane, drive a tank, crew AAA or anti-tank guns, drive or crew a naval warship or become one of many different types of infantry. You have to gain rank to have access to more equipment. I must repeat here, this is not your basic, kids shootem up type game. We use real life tactics and strategy. We have a strategic bombing campaign going on against the Axis and we can literally stop or slow the production of their factories and therefore limit the number and types of warfighting equipment they have access to.

And, there is a winner, or a loser. This game goes on for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until one side or the other achieves the 3 requirements necessary for victory. Although, just a look at the map gives us pretty good idea when we are on the verge of victory or defeat. Campaigns last for many weeks and often more than a month.

WE NEED HELP!!!! We are outnumbered by the Germans. We, the Royal Marines, are one of the only units in the game that can consistenly beat the Germans. But we need need more help.

It is impossible to fully explain this virtual war in a short message, but I will be happy to explain further if you send me an e-mail. I am recruiting real Marines (retired, reserve, active) to join a Battalion of good guys to fight off the grey hordes. This battalion will be called the 2nd Marine Raiders, in honor of the US Marine Raiders of WWII.

You've got to try this game. You won't believe it. And if you are interested, I am recruiting real Marines to join my unit. Many people in this game are adults with real life military experience due to it's realisim. Give me a shout and help me uphold the Honor of the USMC. Join the other American, Australians, British, Belgiums and others from around the world fighting to save western Europe from Nazi control.