PDA

View Full Version : 'Caveman' Holzworth will find way to lead Marines in battle

thedrifter
07-21-07, 08:25 AM
Published - July, 21, 2007
'Caveman' Holzworth will find way to lead Marines in battle
In response to Dave Dickey ("Good luck, Caveman," Letters, July 5), I say he does not know Caveman.

I applaud Dickey immensely for serving his country, something far too few Americans do nowadays. They can never partake of the special taste that freedom fought for has over freedom given.

And Dickey is more than correct when he states that the battles of today are fought by more than Marines. Many soldiers, sailors and airmen have given the ultimate sacrifice in the War on Terror since 2001.

But, as far as Col. Christopher "Caveman" Holzworth is concerned, he is sorely mistaken. As a retired Marine who had the ultimate pleasure of serving under Caveman on three different occasions, I can tell Dickey that Caveman will find a way to lead his Marines in battle.

He may be of rank high enough that he'll have an air-conditioned office, and he likely will be dealing with quite a bit of politics.

Caveman, however, will not be pinned down to this trapping.

I have personally experienced his leadership style and I know that he will not be happy in that setting. He will find a way to be out in the field, in the thick of whatever conflict there may be around him, just so that he can see how his Marines are doing.

That is when he is truly the happiest.

His is a character truly larger than life. Never in my 40 years have I met anyone like him, nor do I believe if I live another 60 years will I meet someone as intensely committed as he. I can only hope to have a fraction of the dedication and enthusiasm this man shows for life, love of his country, and most importantly of all the safety and well-being of Marines!

You've most likely heard the phrase "going the extra mile"? Caveman blows this saying out of the water. To him it's nothing to go the extra 100 miles. To him, RHIP (Rank Has Its Privileges) means that he can go out on the dangerous missions if he wants, and I don't for a second believe anyone of higher rank will be able to dissuade him.

He sincerely believes in the old Marine Corps tenet of "noblesse oblige." Nobility obliges him to be more than the average Marine, and with the privilege of rank comes the ultimate responsibility of rank: possibly sending men (and women) to their deaths.

Col. Holzworth leads from the front, always keeping an eye behind for those who are following closely on his heels: Marines. He would never ask those young men and women, whom he has made it his life to care for, to do anything, or go anywhere, that he would not go first.

Ellie