PDA

View Full Version : Thompson tells plan to rebuild troop levels

thedrifter
07-20-07, 04:57 AM
Thompson tells plan to rebuild troop levels
By JOLENE STEVENS
REGISTER CORRESPONDENT

July 20, 2007

Sioux City, Ia. - Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson said Thursday he favors the "rebuilding of the military," adding 100,000 soldiers and 50,000 Marines.

Thompson emphasized he did not believe a draft would be necessary for such a buildup and said he would not support a draft. He said he would restrain spending at other federal agencies.

Thompson, a Republican candidate for president, made several stops in western Iowa as part of a 100-city tour in a recreational vehicle.

He said if he were elected, he would ensure that no National Guard unit could be called up more than once every five years for more than a 12-month tour of duty. That would "allow us to make sure that our National Guard units are staying home and taking care of people there," he said.

"Right now, the National Guard members are part of the regular Army," Thompson said. "They never signed up to do that, and I don't think the states ever expected that. I would also require the resources and equipment necessary to train the National Guard and to get them the tools they need to do the job."

Thompson, former secretary of health and human services, also touted his plan to create a "gold card" to provide health coverage for returning war veterans.

The gold card, similar to a Medicare or health service card, he said, would be issued to any veteran living six miles or more from a veterans hospital. Cardholders could use the card for care at any local hospital. "This, I feel, is the least we can do for these veterans," he said.

Thompson said he is confident that recent problems regarding the care of veterans will soon be solved as the result of attention focused on the situation by the media as well as by the increasing number of returning veterans. He also said he could not be critical of any one person or the Bush administration for not acting earlier to rectify the situation.

About 100 people were on hand Thursday for the Thompson visit. Some took advantage of the opportunity to be photographed with the candidate before his presentation began.

Ellie