PDA

View Full Version : 16th sergeant major of the Marine Corps makes first visit to Okinawa

thedrifter
07-19-07, 12:46 PM
The Marine Corps’ top enlisted leader visited Okinawa July 15-18 for the first time since assuming his new position April 25.

Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps Carlton W. Kent spent his time on Marine Corps installations here meeting with leaders at all levels, fielding questions about the future of the Marine Corps and gaining personal insight into the morale and readiness of Marines and sailors assigned to III Marine Expeditionary Force and Marine Corps Bases Japan.

The 16th sergeant major of the Marine Corps answered questions covering issues including new policies, deployments and recruiting and retention initiatives during six all-hands calls at Marine Corps installations. He also extended his appreciation and that of the commandant to all the Marines and sailors here for their dedicated service.

During his remarks at the Foster Theater July 17, Kent addressed the new bachelor enlisted quarter’s policy, a popular topic among junior Marines. He said he will continue to push the initiative started by former Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps John L. Estrada to treat Marines like adults in their homes.

“You can be sent to combat, but you can’t have your own rooms,” he said during one of the all-hands meetings at the Foster Theater July 17. “We inspect your room every week. You can’t cook or have alcohol in your rooms. I don’t believe that is right, and the commandant doesn’t believe in that either.”

After the short speech, he opened the floor to questions. One of the first questions was about the commandant’s new tattoo policy.

The sergeant major explained the commandant is not trying to exclude Marines with tattoos from advancing in their career.

“I have four tattoos,” Kent said. “The commandant knew that before he selected me as the new sergeant major of the Marine Corps.” His words put more than a few Marines at ease.

“I have three tattoos, and it felt good to have the sergeant major of the Marine Corps, who works directly with the commandant, come here and clear things up,” said Cpl. Charles D. Downs, an operations clerk with the Camp Foster Provost Marshal’s Office.

Kent, who has been in the Marine Corps for 31 years, admitted to the Marines and sailors that he has had his ups and downs during his career and encouraged Marines not to let their mistakes stop them from striving to be the best.

“I never thought I would be the sergeant major of the Marine Corps,” Kent said with a smile as he recalled a few troubled periods he had as a junior Marine. “When I was called to the interview as a finalist for the position, I said, ‘Have you checked my record book?’”

The all-hands call on Foster was the final one of the sergeant major’s visit. Kent conducted similar calls at Camps Courtney, Schwab, Hansen, Kinser and Marine Corps Air Station Futenma.

The final public event of the sergeant major’s visit was at the Foster Community Center, where he had the opportunity to discuss quality of life issues on Okinawa with service members and their families during a town hall meeting.

Kent departed Okinawa briefly July 19 to visit with Marines in Korea. He returned the same day and was scheduled to depart for mainland Japan July 20. His first scheduled visit there was to Camp Fuji.