PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps award 'shocks' Torrington man

thedrifter
07-19-07, 06:38 AM
07/19/2007
Marine Corps award 'shocks' Torrington man

By DAVID HUTTER
Register Citizen Staff

TORRINGTON - Retired gunnery sergeant Duanne Knowles has seen much in his life, from training Marines for the Vietnam War to presiding over prayer ceremonies for fallen soldiers, but none of that could prepare him for an honor he recently received.

Knowles, of Torrington, was awarded the 2007-08 Marine of the Year by the Marine Corps League's Department of Connecticut, a distinction he didn't know he was going to win until he was recognized at a recent meeting.

"To tell you the truth, I went into shock mode," said Knowles, 68, who is junior vice commandant of the state Marine organization. "I had no idea I was going to receive the award. Each detachment picks a nominee for the Marine of the Year."

John Putnocki, commandant of the Torrington Memorial Detachment 1142, recommended Knowles for the award.

"(Knowles) was the pivotal Marine that organized the Torrington Memorial Detachment 1142 in 2003," Putnocki wrote in a recommendation letter. "That first year he recruited 17 members himself, by knocking on doors, and addressing Marines wherever he came upon them.

"He is, and will always be, an asset to our league, and well deserves the honor of department Marine of the Year."

Knowles was the first commandant of the Torrington detachment, holding the position for two years. He has spearheaded many initiatives through the years, including a detachment flag etiquette program to teach youth groups the importance of respect for the American flag, "Adopt-a-Marine" to encourage local schools to support active Marines and a monthly newsletter for the city detachment.

There are 18 Marine Corps detachments in Connecticut and about 40-60 retired Marines per detachment, Knowles said. There are 79 paid members of the Torrington detachment.

A native of eastern Maine, Knowles joined the Marines in 1958, serving with Plainville-based Charlie Company. He later trained soldiers who deployed to fight in the Vietnam War. He left active duty from 1962-70, re-enlisting in active duty in 1978 and training at Keesler Air Force Base in Gulfport, Miss.

The lessons he learned in the armed forces are valuable to his everyday life as a civilian, Knowles said.

"Not a day goes by in everyday life that I do not use the skills I learned in the Marine Corps," he said. "I had quite a rounded-out training."

In addition to his military career, Knowles worked at the Pratt & Whitney manufacturing plant in Southington as a foreman and supervisor. He was also a leader of Boy Scout Troop 3 in Torrington. In that role, he was able to teach life skills to the Scouts and accompany them on camping trips in rugged terrain, he said.

"I worked a lot with youth in leadership roles," he said. "My message to them is, 'You are in control of your life. Step up and be responsible for it.'"

Since Knowles has been recognized as the Marine of the Year, he will now be a part of the committee of retired Marines that decides subsequent winners.

The Marine Corps League's mission is to provide sponsorship to Marines who honorably leave active service and return to civilian life, according to the organization's Web site.

David Hutter can be reached by e-mail at newhartford@registercitizen.com.

Ellie