PDA

View Full Version : Officer Vs. Enlisted

Future93
07-18-07, 02:16 PM
I have asked many Marines about if officer or enlisted is best and I got both answers. Some say Officer and some say enlisted. I realise that officer is good because the pay is better and things like that, but can anyone tell me why officer or enlisted would be best? Also, to become an officer, I know you have to go to OCS. Would it be best to go to OCS and just be an officer right away, or go in enlisted and then later go to OCS and become an officer?
Thanks

GUNNY MAX
07-18-07, 02:42 PM
The decision you make should be based on what you want to acheive and what interests you. For instance, if you want to be a pilot, you should go officer and if you want to be an aircraft mechanic, you should go enlisted. There are pros and cons to each field. You have plenty of time to research the different MOS's. Meanwhile, work your butt off in school, participate in sports and be an active member of your community, then when the time comes, make the choice that suits you best.;)

jetdoc
07-18-07, 02:53 PM
James, "best" is very subjective. Officers are leaders right from the start, as a 2nd Lt...You do have to have college, OCS, PLC, you can go to the Naval Academy as well.

Officers are well paid, sure. I don't have the pay scale in front of me but a Msgt has to make more than a 2nd Lt....I would hope? But you generally get paid more as an Officer.

Some people like to be enlisted first, then become an officer. These folks are called "Mavericks". They see life from both sides and I think are sometimes better officers because of this.

There is nothing wrong with either, enlisted or officer...you're still a Marine.

I have asked many Marines about if officer or enlisted is best and I got both answers. Some say Officer and some say enlisted. I realise that officer is good because the pay is better and things like that, but can anyone tell me why officer or enlisted would be best? Also, to become an officer, I know you have to go to OCS. Would it be best to go to OCS and just be an officer right away, or go in enlisted and then later go to OCS and become an officer?
Thanks

Future93
07-18-07, 03:15 PM
I probably should'nt try to correct a Marine, but isn't it called a "mustang" when you go from enlisted to officer? I saw it in a book.

jetdoc
07-18-07, 03:18 PM
Crap, you're right...my bad. You should correct a Marine if they are wrong, and I'm sure this is far from the first time, and wont be the last, haha.

I'm at work and get distracted when Im trying to post..lol. I hate it when work screws up my forum time.

Good catch James.

jetdoc
07-18-07, 03:19 PM
Anyway James, other than my error, what did you think about the officer/enlisted comments so far?

Future93
07-18-07, 03:33 PM
The comments help a lot. Now I know that I have to find something in the Marines that I like (which is a lot) and then decide from there whether it's an officer job or enlisted job. Thanks for the help.

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-18-07, 03:33 PM
Officers lead, but they also have a ton of administrative duties to deal with. Enlisted people are doing the job, and Marines lead early- as a LCPL I had the responsibility of upto 50 people at one time. It is up to you. If money is important to you, then being an officer is the better route. Of course, you're going to have to pay your own way through college first. If you want to get your hands dirty, being enlisted is the way to go.

jetdoc
07-18-07, 03:50 PM
At least you're still very young and have a lot of time left to figure out whats best for you and the Marines. Again, either way you're a Marine.

ammermda
07-18-07, 09:11 PM
My $.02:

Do not look at the pay scale. A first year 2ND LT will make more than a first year private or PFC. However, enlisted Marines are eligible for many bonuses that officers cannot recieve. (Obvious example: re-enlistment bonuses.) As Gunny Max stated, your choice will depend on your personal goals and desires, and your interests.

The Marine Corps needs enlisted personnel and officers. And E4B is right: by virtue of being a Marine, you will lead.

Zulu 36
07-18-07, 09:53 PM
My father was a Marine infantryman in WWII. He made it up to corporal. During college, he went through Army ROTC and was commissioned as a reserve officer in the Military Police Corps. He made it to 1st Lt.

Dad always said that during peacetime, being an officer is great. Better pay, quarters, working conditions, etc. But in combat, a lieutenant's job can really suck. He said he'd rather be a private or junior NCO in combat.

But it all depends on how YOU want to look at it. I had a chance at being commissioned, but I enjoyed being an NCO.

Phantom Blooper
07-18-07, 10:02 PM
Sort of like Predator vs. Alien.......

They both have a job to do and they both are Marines and that is all that counts! But it is a personal choice.Your choice to make all the advice can't make it for you.:evilgrin:

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-18-07, 11:10 PM
The important thing to remember is that the job is different. I grew up intending to be an Officer of Marines. But, as I learned more about the whole situation, I decided that I would rather be enlisted. I made the right choice for myself. I thank God for the men and women that serve as Officers in the Marine Corps, because that isn't for me. But, it could be right for you.

Messenger
07-19-07, 10:13 AM
Many enlisted apply for OCS every year but I am not aware of any officers that ever applied to become enlisted. If your decision is to join the service and your are able to become an officer then by all means try to become an officer.

Some officers have reverted to enlisted in some cases such as after a war we may have too many officers so many are given the opportunity to stay in the service but reduced to enlisted rank normally E5 to E7 depending on time in service and rank. This allows them so stay to finish out a pension time and most then are given the opportunity to retire at their highest rank.

Don’t let anyone pull your leg. Enlisted do the officers laundry, make their beds, feed them then do the dishes and take out the trash. I am not saying that officers got it easy but I am saying that they got it easier then the enlisted. They have more responsibility but they also make a lot more.
It comes down to this…..

Do you want to work smarter or work harder?

Simper Fi

Ironrider
07-19-07, 11:03 AM
I only had one reason NOT to get a commission....DRESS WHITES...I'm too sloppy for those ;)

killerinstinct
07-19-07, 11:22 AM
if you like to lead then go officer. The Corps has it broken down to where everyone at the bottom of the totem pole are in theory leaders of their subordinates but its not like bootcamp where they make you a Marine in OCS they see if you can and want to lead Marines and they weed you out if you cant and/or dont want to.

rvillac2
07-19-07, 02:13 PM
I only had one reason NOT to get a commission....DRESS WHITES...I'm too sloppy for those ;)

I think Marine use of that uniform has been discontinued. Can any officers confirm?

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-19-07, 05:24 PM
I can honestly say I never did an officer's laundry, made their bed, or did their dishes.

PTstud66
07-19-07, 07:02 PM
You will find that there are clearly more than 2 routes to choose from. Personally I enlisted first and was recently awarded a ROTC Scholarship . . . this is going to have me discharged from Active...

jetdoc
07-20-07, 09:10 AM
PT, good for you Marine...A Mustang to be, (me being a big dummy kept saying it was a Maverick on another thread, think it had to do with Maverick on "Top Gun", lol).

I agree, you will for sure be a more rounded officer in a lot of respects, for being a bit older and knowing what its like to be enlisted. One of the greatest Marines ever, Chesty Puller, was a Mustang, as we all know.

yellowwing
07-20-07, 11:06 AM
Here's a good blast from the past discussing this
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18733

SkilletsUSMC
07-20-07, 12:47 PM
L... O... S... T...

Ya cant spell lost without the LT...:D

Phantom Blooper
07-20-07, 02:33 PM
Never heard of an enlisted Marine making an officers rack....but on ship board life for a deployment jobs are handed out,because Marines are now serving on a naval vessel and although the officers...

SkilletsUSMC
07-20-07, 02:38 PM
Well you can rest assured that junior enlisted Marines are now cleaning officers rooms, making their racks, sorting, taking out their trash, and doing their laundry. Soon there will be some PFC...

Phantom Blooper
07-20-07, 02:47 PM
SkilletsUSMC,

Basing my comments on my tour from 1973 ending in 1989 with 7 pumps...4 in NCO/SNCO position....won't argue with what you claim as I am not in the here and now...leaving that up to this generation. Just sitting and waiting with my arsenal and fireworks biding my time on the homefront ..keeping the blade sharp and the wheels on my walker and gurney lubed.:evilgrin:

jetdoc
07-20-07, 07:00 PM
Skillets, hey bro are you jacking us around or what man? I've never heard of enlisted doing that b/s. I would not like that much at all, no sir.

Messenger
07-20-07, 07:47 PM
I think I should elaborate on my statement of feeding and making beds LOL.

While deployed on ship I was one of the few that had not been busted at one time or another so when they selected some Marines I was one of the few that they could have work on the O2 decks ( AKA Blue tile Decks) where the officers were berthed.

While on ships crew I would help with the officers mess and even cleaned senior officers (O4 and higher) quarters. I did there laundry, cleaned their rooms and helped feed them. Serving soup on a small ship is a challenge all its own and one time I actually spilled some on some lieutenants lap LOL.

Who do you think keeps the officers offices clean? Have you ever seen an officer with a broom or dumping the trash LOL. Today I am sure a lot of this has been farmed out to civilian contractors but I can attest that I, an enlisted man, dd in fact play nursemaid to officers.

After a stay in the base hospital once I can also tell you that I had to make my hospital bed when I was released.

For me its not a hard question. If asked if I had the choice, I would defiantly and without hesitation become an officer over enlisted, no doubt in my mind.
Simper fi

jetdoc
07-20-07, 08:03 PM
I try to advise the younger folks on here the same thing Messenger. Not that officers are better than enlisted, but its a better life overall.

I know lots of Marines do not agree with this viewpoint and thats fine...I wish I had the option of PLC and some other things when I was the their, (poolees), age. I would've opted for officer and at least gave it my best shot.

I know some younger minds tend to not agree or follow advice from those that have been there, done that, its just the way it is. Some do listen to advice and perhaps they will not make some of the same mistakes I had made.

I agree with your last sentence Messenger, fo' shizzle my nizzle.

PTstud66
07-20-07, 08:33 PM
To reply to an early comment about the dress whites . . .

I think they are still authorized to be worn by SNCOs, Officers . . .and of course the USMC Silent Drill Team.

SkilletsUSMC
07-20-07, 09:50 PM
Skillets, hey bro are you jacking us around or what man? I've never heard of enlisted doing that b/s. I would not like that much at all, no sir.

I kidd you not! My good buddy and fellow boot PFC at the time spent some time being a offcier country slave. Though I never had such an honor to clean up in officer country, I did clean up the Sgt Major's room. I spent some time in the scullery:sick: That was a great time...

rvillac2
07-21-07, 12:55 AM
To reply to an early comment about the dress whites . . .

I think they are still authorized to be worn by SNCOs, Officers . . .and of course the USMC Silent Drill Team.

Hey, Stud.
You are thinking of the Dress Blue Whites which is just white trousers with our blue blouse.

I think you're too young to ever have seen Dress Whites.
http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/images/PlateVI.jpg

I just noted that it says obsolete under the plate, so mystery solved.

Future93
07-21-07, 04:40 PM
What's a "scullery"?

yellowwing
07-21-07, 04:48 PM
The Scullery is the nastiness place on any ship, base, or camp. Wall to wall dirty dishes. And its your job to sanitize them all. No PFC or Lt Col will have a dirty fork if you do your job.

If you think washing dishes after your Grandmama's Thanksgiving for 20 relatives is bad, try it every day - three times a day for 800!

Future93
07-21-07, 05:24 PM
So is it like Pfc's and LCpl's in the scullery?

yellowwing
07-21-07, 05:32 PM
PFC's and junior L/'Cpls supervised by a Cpl that is part of the full time cook staff.

SkilletsUSMC
07-22-07, 03:04 PM
As bad as the scullery was I kind of liked it. It made the days breeze by fast as hell. I only did it for a few weeks, untill I lucked out and got sent to JOD(Jack of the dust). That is the BEST place on the whole ship. Should any of you poolies ever serve on ship, volenteer for JOD when you are stuck on mess duty. JOD basicly stocks the freezers and dry food storage areas. When youre not working, you can rack out. I used to get bags of jasmine rice and make a hasty rack. When youre actually working its pretty hard, (0 degree freezers) but its only for 4-5 hours a day, and the rest is Skate as hell. Another plus side to JOD or any other mess duty is getting to know the squids. Love'em or hate'em its their ship. Being buddy buddy can mean not having to stand in the 3 hour chow lines, and a little extra on your plate at when you get to the serving line.

sparkie
07-22-07, 04:10 PM
There is something lower than scullery. S**t can duty, believe me, I had it. Had to be there every morning to help the hog farmers pick it up, then start steeming em out before breakfast chow.

yellowwing
07-23-07, 12:57 AM
Yuck, what a way to start your day! :sick:

Drew330
08-04-07, 08:45 PM
I'm considering rejoining the Marine Corps. I hope someone could clear up some questions for me. My stats: MOS 0311 1993 to 1997 honorable discharge RE-A1 reenlistment code. 33 years old married with...

JCam0331
08-04-07, 10:22 PM
Well...the Captain of the ship is also likely an O-6...equivalent of a Marine Colonel lol

JCam0331
08-04-07, 10:27 PM
Ok, I'm not an authority on the subject so maybe someone that knows better can give you more/better info but I'll try <br />
<br />
33 years minus 4 years active = 27 years old, which means you are eligible...

Drew330
08-04-07, 10:32 PM
I know the army as really good units. But, your gonna laugh over this one it's that goofy hat they were. I just can't get over that. Plus, I love Camp Lejeune and the NC outer banks. But, thanks for the input.

JCam0331
08-04-07, 10:47 PM
lol I think the Beret looks real cool !!

I guess its because me teenage fantasy was becoming an Army Ranger. Seeing a Ranger with that tan beret and the Ranger tab still gives me the goosebumps

I know thats akin to blasphemy coming from a Marine...so I apologize and I'll stop lol

sparkie
08-04-07, 10:51 PM
Going John Wayne on us,,, JCam? "Fighting soldiers from the sky,,, Fearless men who jump and die".

Drew330
08-04-07, 11:00 PM
Being a Marine.... We didn't need a merit badge for everything we did posted on our cammies. We just knew we did it and thats all that matter. And, JCamm as far as goosebumps go leaves me with bigger questions...lol.

thewookie
08-05-07, 05:14 AM
I think Chesty said it best when he said he'd rather be a Marine Sergeant then any Officer. Nothing against the Officer Corps but I tend to agree with Chesty! The only alternative to that is to go enlisted first, learn how it goes, and then apply for some type of commissioning program.

JCam0331
08-05-07, 08:34 AM
Going John Wayne on us,,, JCam? "Fighting soldiers from the sky,,, Fearless men who jump and die".

lol I loved that song when I was a kid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (well I still am a kid kind of haha)

JCam0331
08-05-07, 08:37 AM
I think Chesty said it best when he said he'd rather be a Marine Sergeant then any Officer. Nothing against the Officer Corps but I tend to agree with Chesty! The only alternative to that is to go enlisted first, learn how it goes, and then apply for some type of commissioning program.

Coming from a man who made it all the way to Lieutenant General...the equivalent of a modern day MEF Commander??

I'd like to see that quote if you please.

I'd guess that Chesty Puller would be a man who embraced greater responsibilities rather than shun from it, and I don't see if you love the challenges of greater responsbility why you would prefer to be a Squad Leader (Sergeant) rather than a Company Commander (Captain)

since it takes approximately the same time to pick up Sgt as it does Captain.

thewookie
08-05-07, 09:44 AM
I had to look it up but this is what I was referring to.

To be a sergeant you have to know your stuff. I’d rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer.
—SgtMaj Daniel Daly 1873-1937

And for myself personally, I'd rather be a Sergeant over a Captain. Any day of the week and twice on Tuesday's.

Someday Lance Corporal Cam when and if you achieve the rank of Marine Sergeant, and then you become a Marine Captain, please then let me know what you think. I was simply a Marine Sergeant, and so I can only speak from that experience. Oooh Rah

JCam0331
08-05-07, 02:08 PM
I had to look it up but this is what I was referring to.

To be a sergeant you have to know your stuff. I’d rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer.
—SgtMaj Daniel Daly 1873-1937

And for myself personally, I'd rather be a Sergeant over a Captain. Any day of the week and twice on Tuesday's.

Someday Lance Corporal Cam when and if you achieve the rank of Marine Sergeant, and then you become a Marine Captain, please then let me know what you think. I was simply a Marine Sergeant, and so I can only speak from that experience. Oooh Rah

The officer route isn't for everyone, some people just prefer enlisted. I spoke with a Sergeant one time who was a Penn State grad and had a 99 on the ASVAB. He wanted nothing to do with becoming an Officer.

lol well SgtMaj Dan Daly is also an enlisted man so he's biased :-)

Mikhaelis
08-20-07, 08:22 PM
Personally, I think any officer should have to be enlisted first. How can you learn to lead when you can't follow? All Officer ranks should only be open to enlisted ranks first. The biggest problem I had with Marine Corps Leadership was the fact that most officers had no leadership experience and fell to the belief that their word was "God's Law" despite whatever HQMC had to say on a subject.

Marine Officers were very rarely subject to the UCMJ, were not held to the sameunwavering UA standards as enlisted Marines, and many times, were totally incompetent. The sad fact was that was when I was in, all the good officers with real leadership were never augmented out of the reserves, but forced out, and all the ones that would definitely be victoms of friendly fire were not only retained but promoted.

Of course the same can be said of enlisted ranks, but at least the enlisted ranks took care of their own and members of the same rank would set another power tripper straight when he abused his power. This was definitely not the case for Officers.

If you want to learn real leadership then you would have to experience bad leadership from bad officers as enlisted, then go officer to try to be a good leader. Unfortunately OCS didn't teach leadership, it taught rank is right.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-20-07, 11:38 PM
The worst officer I ever came across was a former NCO. Being enlisted in no way promises that someone will be a better officer. I really think we do a pretty good job of picking officers of Marines now.