PDA

View Full Version : Nicholson resigns as VA secretary

thedrifter
07-17-07, 07:46 PM
Nicholson resigns as VA secretary
By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Jul 17, 2007 16:04:49 EDT

Secretary of Veterans Affairs Jim Nicholson is resigning, saying he wants to return to the private sector.

The exact date of his departure is unclear. It will be effective no later than Oct. 1 but could be earlier if the White House prefers, according to a VA statement.

“This coming February, I turn 70 years old, and I feel it is time for me to get back into business while I still can,” he said.

The VA statement said Nicholson, a decorated combat veteran who became VA secretary on Feb. 1, 2005, has no definite plans.

Nicholson has been an embattled secretary, mostly for reasons beyond his control, but he also has been highly praised for some actions, like VA’s response during Hurricane Katrina.

On Nicholson’s watch, VA has had serious budgeting problems, partly because of historically inadequate forecasting of expenses and partly because VA — like the entire Bush administration — never expected military operations to continue for so long or create so many wounded veterans.

VA also became the poster child for bad computer security during Nicholson’s time as secretary, with an unprecedented loss of information on 26 million people after a laptop computer was taken from the home of a VA worker. While this was a black eye for Nicholson, he earned praise from Congress for his response, which was set to order a complete overhaul of computer security issues and implementation of some long-delayed organizational changes in information technology.

Nicholson also has received credit for trying to push VA to adjust to caring for a new generation of combat veterans suffering from new problems, particularly traumatic brain injuries and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Nicholson’s announcement caught both the chairman and senior Republican on the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee by surprise. “I’m surprised because it’s a bad time,” said Rep. Bob Filner, D-Calif., the chairman. ”We’ve got all the problems with older veterans as they age and all the problems with the newer veterans. The administration is not prepared for it. And bringing in a new person at this time? It’s a bad time.”

Filner said he would like to see someone new and fresh take the agency’s helm. Replacing Nicholson with a close friend of the administration, he said, could cause problems in the confirmation process.

“If they appoint someone who is a ‘good old boy,’ we are going to drag them all over the place,” Filner said. “I would like someone who is new and bold and creative, but someone who understands veterans so there’s not a long learning curve here.”

Rep. Steve Buyer, R-Ind., the committee’s senior Republican, said he was surprised because Nicholson “has been progressing very well and I thought that he would serve out the remainder of the term.”

Still, Butyer said, “He’s had a chance to represent the interests that matter to Americans ... to care for America’s most precious assets, our veterans.”

In his resignation statement, Nicholson said, “It has been an honor and privilege to lead the VA during this historic time for our men and women who have worn the uniform. We have accomplished so much and the VA is always striving to improve our services to veterans.”

In a closed-circuit television address to VA workers, he said, “VA has come a long way in meeting the growing needs and expectations of our veterans and you deserve the credit.”

“This is a very big government agency that, among many other things, sees over 1 million patients a week in its health care system, and is doing a world-class job,” he said. “The American people can feel proud about the way we are treating our veterans. The president and the Congress have been very supportive and for that I am grateful as well.”

Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., who has been one of the lawmakers most critical of Nicholson, said she hopes President Bush thinks carefully about a replacement.

“The VA secretary’s duty is to protect veterans, not a dishonest administration,” she said. “Our veterans deserve to know that the head of the VA system can stand up to the White House and fight for the resources and benefits our veterans need.

“No matter how they feel about the war, America supports our veterans,” she said. “They have answered the call to serve and they have the thanks of a grateful nation. Americans are willing to open their hearts, minds and wallets to support the brave men and women who have sacrificed for us.”

In contrast, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said Nicholson was an “outstanding” VA secretary.

“During Secretary Nicholson’s tenure, the VA has vastly improved medical care for our veterans at time when our VA facilities are under significant strain due to the demands of the Global War on Terror,” said Hutchison, who headed the appropriations subcommittee that worked with Nicholson to find extra money when the VA budget was short.

Staff writer Amy Doolittle contributed to this report.

Ellie