PDA

View Full Version : Did you have any doubts about joining the Marines?

Marines4life222
07-17-07, 06:10 PM
Before you joined did you have 2nd thoughts about joining, or did you always know it was right for you?

Marines4life222
07-17-07, 06:11 PM
edit: and how old were you when you joined?

Marine84
07-17-07, 06:12 PM
HELL YEAH! Until about 1/2 way through bootcamp when I realized EXACTLY what it was that they were looking for from me. No regrets since then................

Marines4life222
07-17-07, 06:13 PM
^ what changed halfway through bootcamp for you?

Marine84
07-17-07, 06:29 PM
It's something that we can't explain to folks that haven't done it and have them understand it. Going through Marine Corps bootcamp changes you in a way that you won't understand until you do it yourself.

I can't really say when the proverbial light bulb went off over my head was brought on by any particular thing happening. Just one day it hit me and it was easy from then on. Kind of like a child learning something - you're good, you get rewarded - you're bad, you get no reward. I was good and I got my reward!

rvillac2
07-17-07, 06:38 PM
There have been commercials made about the "transformation." It is a very real experience and only can be truly understood by those who have gone through it.

I didn't have DEP time to doubt anything. I just signed up and was shipped a few days later.
I was 17 yrs and 4 months old.

And yes, I got the cake at my first Ball. ; )

Marine84
07-17-07, 06:44 PM
I never got to go to the ball :cry:

sparkie
07-17-07, 06:46 PM
I feel what changes is 'team'. When you know you are a part, and you count for something, and you see your buddy could never let you down. Nor could you do it to him. Thats Marine. But still, you had to be there, I can't give you that.

I was 17

Namvet67
07-17-07, 07:54 PM
Sure I think everyone had 2nd thoughts about joining the Corps. I explored all my options (Army,Air Force) but I wanted to prove something to mself so I joined the Corps. No more 2nd thoughts once I stepped up to the plate and enlisted. However.......had lots of 2nd thoughts once I got into boot camp! After boot....never looked back. It was right for me and I was damn glad I passed the test.

Haffner
07-17-07, 08:09 PM
Hell yeah I had doubts. The first black Friday sucked, but I was like 'eh, whatever.' But once the 2nd black Friday came (the first day of second phase when we bussed out to Pendleton)...holy crap. That was by far the hardest and most exhausting day I've ever lived. I was like, "God damn. I gotta put the **** out if I'm getting through today."

I think that was the first day i TRULY gave all that I had. Woke up the next day and I was damn motivated. It was easy after that.

18 years old at the time.

Marines4life222
07-17-07, 08:16 PM
whats Black Friday?

Haffner
07-17-07, 09:39 PM
You'll find out. Do yourself a favor and not ask about it or look it up =p

Marines4life222
07-17-07, 09:59 PM
haha alright

Haffner
07-17-07, 10:33 PM
haha, let's just say black Friday is a terrible day. as the name implies. if you're gonna be joinin' i don't want to ruin the fun :-p

Marines4life222
07-17-07, 11:16 PM
looking back at bootcamp, would you guys consider it one of the best times of your lives? My recruiter tells me when your at bootcamp you hate it, but after you are done you realize how much fun you had

davblay
07-17-07, 11:41 PM
Boot Camp is not a place, it's not an event, it's not a sleep over! Boot Camp is an experience that you will never forget----for the rest of your life! Yea it is hard, it's hard on everyone, but when you look back on those days you remember it with -------- well------ reverence, I guess would be a good word, You see no matter how much we talk about it, no one understands until they go through it themselves! Those were the best, and some of the worse, days of my life! But I wouldn't change a thing!

I was 17 when I enlisted and I have never looked back, no regrets!

BTW--- this is my 1,085th post--- ironic since my platoon number in Boot Camp was 1085!

Haffner
07-17-07, 11:44 PM
As wierd as it sounds, you'll hear about the same exact thing all the time. That's the jist of what I always say. Now, these Marines I talk to that juts got out of boot about a month or a few ago, they're always like, "Haha, oh man that was so easy and gay it wasn't fun at all."

I look at it as the most fun thing I'd never want to do again.

sparkie
07-18-07, 10:26 AM
Graduating was fun... thats about it. All the rest was,shall we say, challenging.

Namvet67
07-18-07, 10:58 AM
Was not fun or one of the best times in my life! It was serious business and we were constantly reminded that what we learned there could save our life once we got into combat. We were also reminded daily that most if not all of us would end up in RVN and at least half of us would not come back. Those that paid attention and did exactly what the drill instructor's told them to do would have the best chance of making it back from Nam. It was their intention (drill instructors) to make life in boot camp as tough as humanly possible so once they got in combat and the going got tough they could always fall back on the training and kinda go on "automatic". When i was in Nam i had to think back many times and it did help me get through it. Fun? Nope...no way no how and yes i did hate it while i was in boot camp! Had a little fun in the next stage (ITR)! All the mental abuse was over and i was a Marine! Semper Fi

sparkie
07-18-07, 11:04 AM
Yea, ITR. Remember the first time you shouldered a LAW, or popped off a M79? Now that was fun. 180 degrees from boot.

DWG
07-18-07, 11:55 AM
Was not fun or one of the best times in my life! It was serious business and we were constantly reminded that what we learned there could save our life once we got into combat. We were also reminded daily that most if not all of us would end up in RVN and at least half of us would not come back. Those that paid attention and did exactly what the drill instructor's told them to do would have the best chance of making it back from Nam. It was their intention (drill instructors) to make life in boot camp as tough as humanly possible so once they got in combat and the going got tough they could always fall back on the training and kinda go on "automatic". When i was in Nam i had to think back many times and it did help me get through it. Fun? Nope...no way no how and yes i did hate it while i was in boot camp! Had a little fun in the next stage (ITR)! All the mental abuse was over and i was a Marine! Semper Fi

That absolutely hits the nail on the head!!!
:evilgrin:
My recollection exactly!
:thumbup:

jetdoc
07-18-07, 08:25 PM
To me it was the best of times and the worst of times.

I do not regret it, and its made me what I am today. To be honest with you I think I like it now more than when I was in. I have found as I've gotten a few years under my belt that I tend to forget some of the bad things and only remember the good.

Now if my wife would only do that...lol.

Marine84
07-18-07, 08:51 PM
Now if my wife would only do that...lol.

God used a different schematic when He made us - we're wired different than you guys. And we especially never forget about it if you're prone to still doing what it is that we don't like. ;)

MOUNTAINWILLIAM
07-18-07, 09:07 PM
No second thoughts at all. I just followed in the footsteps of a number of my relatives (a couple of whom remain 19 and 20 and a few others who left parts in forgotten places)

Semper Fi

jetdoc
07-19-07, 08:38 AM
God used a different schematic when He made us - we're wired different than you guys. And we especially never forget about it if you're prone to still doing what it is that we don't like. ;)

You're telling me, after 27 years of being married her memory is amazing, except for where she lost my truck key, or where she put my newest Biker magazine or........

:D

Marine84
07-19-07, 09:25 AM
You're telling me, after 27 years of being married her memory is amazing, except for where she lost my truck key, or where she put my newest Biker magazine or........

:D

Hell yeah! :p

Marines4life222
07-19-07, 12:16 PM
Were you all nervous before you got to bootcamp?

sparkie
07-19-07, 12:23 PM
Don't worry about your nerves. It will melt into fear as soon as you get there. Absolute, no going back, now I am going to die, fear.....;}

DWG
07-19-07, 12:47 PM
Were you all nervous before you got to bootcamp?

Thought about bailing off the bus in Savannah; :confused:
Wished I had when I got to receiving! :scared:

Glad I didn't when I crossed the grinder for the last time!:usmc:

It's all in your head! There is no try; just DO! (Yoda)

killerinstinct
07-19-07, 03:05 PM
first night in recieving having DI's yell and not knowing wtf to respond with so i think everyone just yelled something mumbled till you realized wtf you were supposed to say..

I was thinking WTF am I doing here. then mess duty makes you do that too.

and many working parties that are put together.

killerinstinct
07-19-07, 03:07 PM
I never got to go to the ball :cry:

OH dang that sucks i went to most but the best ball i was on a working party for the generals private party in a hotel and afterwards his aides all captains let us take the left over champagne bottles and eat some of the left over food that was catered so we took cases of it and got **** faced all for free unlike everyone else there who had to pay for their drinks.. THAT was the best friggin ball ever..

thewookie
07-23-07, 09:56 AM
I remember my 1st night on Parris Island like it was yesterday, it was kind of like a dream. Everything went really fast, and although I remember feeling like my world had just ended. I didn't actually fear much then. I had heard so much about the routine from my family that I just picked at a spot on the the wall and I tried to block it all out. The nervousness will be replaced with fear and your body will move in ways, and speeds that you did not think previously possible. You either figure it out real fast or you don't, and then you get real strong. But it's funny, while in receiving I actually wrote a letter home telling my parents that it wasn't that bad after all! But then a week later we got picked up by our DI's. And that day will remain forever burnt into my brain housing group. I was scared, everything was different. This was Parris Island boot camp for sure. Those DI's were flipping crazy all day, all the other days too but that 1st day when they picked us up was like an out of body experience. At the time the 1st Gulf was going on so I was focused and they made sure we knew what was going on. I loved it, but I must say I've forgotten how much pain I was in, you tend to forget that over time. But I look back with great fondness of my time in the Corps and it all started that cold day in February on the yellow footprints of Parris Island. It is like that commercial, the change is forever!

Semper Fi Marines
Sgt. V

SlingerDun
07-31-07, 05:18 PM
Before you joined did you have 2nd thoughts about joining I was delayed entry for exactly one year and never had any doubts until the night before i departed. Didn't sleep, vomited just before dawn and thought, damn this is gonna be a long ride.

or did you always know it was right for you? I knew nothing except if i stayed around town i would float from one crummy job to the next and soon get into trouble. Occasionaly you may hear people say... it was either the military or prison. thats my story.

--->Dave

ggyoung
07-31-07, 06:56 PM
Hell yes. Right after the 1st min. I got to bootcamp

chili77bowl
07-31-07, 09:05 PM
well, as I never was in DEP I didn't get the talks that you poolees are getting from your recruiters....I didn't know how to speak to DI's. So did I ever have second thoughts? well, yes. I was an E-4 in the Army and was wondering wtf I had gotten myself into. but after it was over, I was pretty cool with this whole oooh rah motto yut yut Semper Fi thing.

and I was 23 yrs old.

jpal3451
08-01-07, 11:53 PM
I miss bootcamp but dont ever want to go back. great memories, the bad ones fade with time.