PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have a list of MOS's the reserves have to offer?

Marines4life222
07-17-07, 03:49 PM
^ In the Title.

And on another note, when it says 6 years active reserve and 2 years "inactive reserve," what exactly does "inactive" mean?

Thanks in advance

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-17-07, 03:54 PM
Talk to your recruiter. Just about every job is available, but not in every area.

Inactive means you don't have to go to drill or do anything else, but you can be recalled to duty during that time.

Marines4life222
07-17-07, 03:56 PM
Alright, thank you. Yeah i talked to my recruiter and he was explaining not all jobs are available, so i thought it might of been just a set list of MOS's. I didnt know it had to do with the location

sparkie
07-17-07, 04:01 PM
Location is everything, son. You gotta fill a need. The Marines don't 'join' you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-17-07, 04:05 PM
That is true. For instance, if you want to be a tank crewmember, there first has to be a tank unit that you can get to, and then that unit needs to have an opening.

Here in Oklahoma we have arty and a TOW Company. So, you can have of the jobs associated with those units.

jetdoc
07-17-07, 05:55 PM
Or if you are willing to drive to a reserve unit thats not in your home state that opens up some more possibilities. If you have to drive like over 50 miles they have to put you up in billiting.

Marines4life222
07-17-07, 05:57 PM
are any the Marines on here reserves, and if so how do you like it?

rvillac2
07-17-07, 07:02 PM
I liked it just fine, but there are drawbacks:

1) You're not the Varsity. Accept it.
2) Train as you fight. There's not a Sunday night formation in war.

Joining the Reserve allows you to go to boot, earn the Title, and train to be a Warrior. However, once you get back home, you live a civilian life for the most part. This means that your skills languish and you never become as sharp as the full timers. That was acceptable, even during the Cold War when the chance of getting activated was almost zero.

However, that all changed after Reagan. Our Force is now structured in such a way that vital components are in the Reserve. Getting activated to support a major campaign like Desert Shield/Storm became a harsh reality to my generation of Reservists. Once my artillery unit was activated, I wish we had trained as long and as hard as our Active duty brothers.

Nowadays, be prepared to get your training and stand by to get activated. You are extremely likely to get activated and deployed at least once in a 6 year contract.

rvillac2
07-17-07, 07:24 PM
Sgt. V.,

I was reading your response in the Ask a Marine forum to the person with questions about Reservists.

I had a question for you about training.

Is it at all possible to train more then your unit meets?

Depends on what your MOS/Billet is. If you're a grunt, you could always work on something with your individual skills. However, the part of your job that needs the most training and experience is your ability to work in a team. I was arty and it took 7-8 of us to man a Howitzer. We couldn't really practice that outside of drill weekends.

I went into my Reserve center all the time and played with whatever I could. Luckily, we were one of the first to get the FATS, the firearms training simulators. It was a very cool video game and you got some semi realistic training in split-second decision making and firing tactics.

However, what I primarily wished for, was solid training for the entire unit in small unit tactics and movement. Our officers needed more training/practice in moving the unit from point a to point b. Our crews needed more practice in emplacing our weapon and creating a defensive position. It just can't get done in a 36 hour trip to the field.

Hope this answers your question somewhat.

jetdoc
07-17-07, 07:34 PM
Good post Renato

Marines4life222
07-17-07, 07:37 PM
what are the chances of being shipped out when I become inactive?

sparkie
07-17-07, 07:58 PM
slim, to none.

rvillac2
07-17-07, 11:57 PM
what are the chances of being shipped out when I become inactive?

Depends on a lot of factors including your MOS and needs of the Corps. There is no way to answer what it will be like in 6 years. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-18-07, 02:05 AM
Depends totally on your MOS. If they need people with that MOS they will get you. It has happened to people recently.

And, they will give you a place to stay if you're over 50 miles away. Both units in my state are that far from me, so when I went in the reserves after active duty that was something I had to deal with. Be warned, former active duty guys like me like to torment reserve boots staying in the hotel.

You can drive, or even fly, to another unit- but the cost is on you for getting there.

Marines4life222
07-18-07, 01:34 PM
the reserve options are 6x2, 5x3, 4x4, and 3x5, correct?

rvillac2
07-18-07, 01:47 PM
I've never heard of a 5x3 or 3x5.
4x4 is the Active duty contract (4 AD, 4 IRR).

The predominant Reserve contract is 6x2 (6 SMCR, 2 IRR). However, there is a very special contract out there that is 1x2x5 (1 AD, 2 SMCR, 5 IRR).
This is called the National Call To Service Contract and is limited to a limited number of MOS's.

AD=Active Duty
SMCR=Select Marine Corps Reserve (1wkend/month + 2 weeks/year)
IRR=Individual Ready Reserve (no duty, but eligible for recall to active service)

Marines4life222
07-18-07, 01:58 PM
I dont mean to ask stupid questions, but can you please explain the difference between Active Duty and Select Marince Corps Reserve?

rvillac2
07-18-07, 02:24 PM
I dont mean to ask stupid questions, but can you please explain the difference between Active Duty and Select Marince Corps Reserve?

Active Duty is Marine Corps Life 24x7. You will report for work/duty every day unless you're granted liberty or leave. Liberty is approved time off (like weekends and holidays). Leave is like being on vacation. Whether on duty, liberty, or leave, you are always subject to your command's rules and regulations. This includes the UCMJ (the law for all military personnel).

Select Marine Corps Reserve is when you belong to a Reserve unit and report to a Reserve Center. You will be required to report for duty 1 weekend per month AND for a period of two weeks each year (annual training). When you are on duty, you will perform your assigned duties and be subject to the UCMJ (military law, rules and regulations). When you are not on or reporting for duty, you are a civilian and can do anything a civilian does. This includes getting a job or attending college. While serving in the SMCR, you can be involuntary recalled to active duty. This means that you or your entire unit will get orders to report for active duty. Then your life will be just like described in the above paragraph.

Individual Ready Reserve is when you are no longer obligated to report for duty according to any schedule. You are essentially a civilian and can do anything you want. However, the Corps can call you involuntarily back to duty. At that time you will be back on Active Duty and report to a designated unit. Your life will be just as described in the Active Duty paragraph above.

For the entire time of your enlistment contract (8 years) you will be in 1 of the above components of the Marine Corps.

Marines4life222
07-19-07, 01:20 PM
For the Marine Reserves reading this, why did you choose reserves? And if you could go back would you have made the same choice?

rvillac2
07-20-07, 02:01 AM
LOL. Like the sound of crickets Skyler? Guess none of the Reservists read this thread. ; )

I chose Reserve because I was going to attend college, get an engineering degree, and then go Marine Aviation. Things didn't work out so well in my physics and chemistry classes. I stumbled onto civilian law enforcement and it stuck.

If I could do it over again, I would have studied harder in college and followed through with my aviation dream.

Todays lesson? Pick a career, dedicate yourself to it, and don't get distracted by college life (girls, fraternity, girls, cars, etc.).

Marines4life222
07-20-07, 11:13 AM
True, so rvillac2, did you end up completeling colllege, and if so how long did it take you to complete?

rvillac2
07-20-07, 03:23 PM
Got Bachelor's in 94. 8 years after graduating high school.
I went back and forth between going to school full time and working full time/school part time. I also changed majors from engineering to psychology and basically had to almost start over.

Another big delay? Desert Shield/Storm Activation. Had to put civilian life on hold but I loved every minute of our deployment.

Marines4life222
07-20-07, 05:31 PM
^ Thats awesome, yeah cause right now I want to join the Marine Reserves, but my real dream is to be a homicide detective, which takes 4 years of college. Do you I will be able to complete 4 years of college within 7 years if I join the Reserves?

rvillac2
07-20-07, 06:46 PM
Like I said, when you're in the Reserve, you live like a civilian when you're not on duty. You should be able to finish a degree before your first contract is up if you stay dedicated to it.
Also note that an activation may delay you by a year or two.

You do know that detectives are street cops first, right? Depending on the department, you may need several years of experience on the street before becoming a Dick. (lol..I just had to put that in).

Marines4life222
07-20-07, 06:49 PM
yeah i know that. Haha, but why do you call them a dick. Is that like a Marine thing or do you just not like them?

rvillac2
07-21-07, 12:31 AM
"Dick" is a shorthanded way of referring to a detective. Maybe you've heard of Dick Tracy?

Check out:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dick