PDA

View Full Version : Marine returns from Iraq

thedrifter
07-17-07, 06:24 AM
Marine returns from Iraq
By DAVID NAMANNY, Courier Lee News Service

LITTLE CEDAR --- Independence Day this year had a whole new meaning for Lance Cpl. Steve Mullenbach of Little Cedar.

The 2004 Osage High School graduate recently returned from duty in Iraq and is enjoying some time at home before returning to complete his service.

The son of Mark and Carol Mullenbach, the young Marine served as a machine gunner with the Second Battalion of the Fourth Marine Division (Echo Company) for the past six months at two different locations near Baghdad.

Mullenbach was stationed in Ramadon, which is just west of Fallujah, and later in a smaller town named Putbah.

Mullenbach and his fellow Marines were based in large abandoned Iraqi homes, which he said are more like mansions.

"Our job as Marines was to patrol the streets and search buildings to make sure there weren't any weapons or anyone making bombs," said Mullenbach. "That part was pretty nerve-racking. You really don't know who to trust."

Mullenbach described many of the Iraqi people in and around Baghdad as being "shady characters."

"They would invite you into their home and offer you water and say 'Welcome.' We would ask them if they had any weapons, and they would say 'No weapons.' But when we searched the homes, we would usually find guns, weapons and other items."

The second town the young Marine patrolled was much smaller than the first, but equally dangerous. "It was about the size of Osage, but the people were still shady. We were not sure what to think. We just did our job and left."

"We had no electricity, no running water and no showers," said Mullenbach. "Coming home makes you appreciate the finer things we have here. I can take a shower now and check my e-mail."

Mullenbach said he appreciated the support he has gotten from people back home.

"I want to thank everyone who helped us and sent us care packages," he said. "It's amazing how good things from home make you feel.

"In my eyes, the experience has given a whole new meaning to the Fourth of July."

Contact David Namanny at newsroom@wcfcourier.com.

Ellie