PDA

View Full Version : Ok im trying this again.

soldierx1991
07-16-07, 09:21 PM
When I post the first Question, I got smart remarks, but i dont understand why.

I'm just wondering if I can join the Marine Band, and also do something for the Country. Please let me know if I can do both, I always wanted to join the USMC sense I was 11, my has been on the USMC ever sense. So please let me know if I can do both. I want to serve for the Country I love.

davblay
07-16-07, 09:33 PM
How old are you?

Covey_Rider
07-16-07, 10:09 PM
It depends on what you want to do for your country. Sure you can join the band if you make it through boot. Do not take this as offensive but it looks like you may have some problems in boot and probably end up in PCP. Anyways...in the band you'll be a garrison Marine. You may go to iraq and post some security but highly doubt you'd see combat. But if you think that you can hack it and become a Marine then go for it.

You need to update your profile also...age etc.

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-16-07, 11:04 PM
The band would be your job. You would not be doing that and something else if that is what you're asking.

As for the smart comments you received, it could well be because of the soldier in your user name. Marines are Marines, soldiers are in the Army.

chili77bowl
07-17-07, 01:41 AM
and I just like to throw out smart comments.:cool:

jetdoc
07-17-07, 07:36 AM
Ashlee, a 15 year old girl, how are you doing? Its good that you're intersted in the Marines and have been for a while.

You of course know we are Marines, not soldiers, right? Its something we for sure dis-like, to put it mildly, lol.

Here is a link that has all the information about the requirements to be a Marine Corps Musician, aka, Marine Corps Band, aka, The Presidents Own. As we all know the Marine Corps Band is the oldest organized band in America!

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl5526-5566.htm

Marine84
07-17-07, 08:10 AM
Sweetie - you can try out for the band if you would like - if you make it, that's pretty much all you'll do. It's not like you can march off that high school field onto a Marine Corps parade deck, you know what I mean? I know a girl that tried out for it, didn't make it, and now she's in Supply. It's not an easy thing to get into - you're young though, you have time to figure out what you want to do before you go.

killerinstinct
07-17-07, 10:54 AM
HAHAHA.... alright well the smart comments came because...

1. youre talking to Marines.

2. the Band..

3. the Band.

4 there would be more comments if you said you were a piccolo/flute player.

but if you play brass at all man you know theres the drum and bugle corps.

ggyoung
07-17-07, 10:55 AM
What band do you want to be in? A base band, a divison band or the Presadents band? Base band and div. band you go to bootcamp. The Presadents band with the excptances of very few are brought in as a SSgt. They do not go to bootcamp.

yanacek
07-17-07, 11:25 AM
Young lady: The Marine Corps is always looking for a few good musicians who also want to be Marines. You can enlist and possibly receive a guarantee for the "Musician Enlistment Option Program" (MEOP).

The academic standards for the MEOP are pretty average, only a 50 AFQT is required. This should not be a problem provided you continue to work hard in school and apply yourself.

In addition the MEOP requires that you pass an audition on your instrument. The purpose of the audition is to make sure you will be musically competent enough to pass the School of Music, following recruit training. The audition can be pretty rough, so you will want to begin preparing for it now! I had a few friends who conducted these auditions. They begin by asking you to play various major, minor and chromatic scales. Then you will do some sight-reading followed by a prepared piece you have selected from the approved composition list. As I said, it is pretty rough, but the pace at the School of Music is fast and they want to make sure you can handle it before you are given a guarantee.

I also wanted to add that if you are able to play other instruments besides the clarinet, this could increase you chances. For example, if you can play something like oboe or bassoon decently, this could improve your chances.

I hope this helps give you a basic understanding. Feel free to PM or e-mail me with any additional questions.

Zulu 36
07-17-07, 02:30 PM
It should be mentioned that the chances of a high school grad being picked up for The Marine Corps Band at 8th & I is extremely low unless that person is a musical prodigy.

Almost all musicians hired onto the Big Band have bachelor degrees in music, if not graduate degrees also. Many have civilian orchestra experience as well. They do not send these people to music school. They are expected to be ready to play after they go through their mini-version of boot camp. Thus the starting rank of SSgt.

However, there are members of the Big Band who started as division or base band musicians and worked their way up.

I went to boot camp and ITR with a guy who was a drummer and contracted to the Drum & Bugle Corps at 8th & I. Our DIs borrowed a side drum and sticks from the MCRD SD band and made him prove he was a drummer. He was and damned good too. I saw him perform with the D&B at Pendleton in 1976.

jetdoc
07-17-07, 02:55 PM
Top Yanacek, ck your email and PM. I just checked your profile. You and I were in PI at the same time. I was 3037 and you were 3039, 3rd Battalion. I was H company. Small world.

Accord
07-19-07, 09:21 AM
You'll be a professional musician in the Marine Corps and you'll be up against a lot of competition to get onto some of the more prestigious bands in the Corps such as the Presidents Own or the Commandants Own, you'll be auditioning against professional musicians who've been to Juliard and things of that nature. The Marine Corps takes it's bands and theatrics so to speak very seriously.