PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favorite President?

sparkie
07-16-07, 08:10 PM
Mine was Nixon, 'cause he had the b***s to bring us home. Actually It shall always be Regan, But I hold a special place for Nixon, and I was priveleged to set up his PA system when he welcomed home the !st, MAR. DIV. I was so close I coulda pulled on his sleeve for an autograph, sept for Marine Corps decorum.

07-16-07, 09:35 PM
Theodore Roosevelt. Why? He was the Assistant Secretary of The Navy. He organized and helped command the 1st Volunteer Cavalry Regiment during the Spanish-American War(and subsequently awarded a posthumous MOH, in '01). He was a historian and lawyer, supported capitalism and trusts, yet vehemently against corruption. He was a NYPD Police Police Commissioner, firmly molding it into a shape that is somewhat recognizable today. He was a level-headed conservationist and naturalist. He negotiated our construction of the Panama Canal. First American to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize(for negotiating an end to the Russo-Japanese War). He performed an admiral job in his first presidential term, taking over the reins from an assassinated McKinley, and managed to merge ideals and practicality throughout both of his terms. As well as numerous other events that I don't remember at this moment.

yellowwing
07-16-07, 09:45 PM
The Gipper, hands down :thumbup:

recon532002
07-16-07, 10:40 PM
Tricky Dick was My Favorite he gave us a raise:D

davblay
07-17-07, 01:19 AM
In my life time I have seen several Presidents, but the one that sticks out in my mind is no other than Old Ronnie Reagen. One hell of a man. Everyone loved Ronnie! But beyond my life I woould have to say FDR was the best this country ever had, overall! He was elected four times, you know?

ggyoung
07-17-07, 11:12 AM
Sparkie I was on the firing battery when The Dickie welcomed the 1et. Divison home. I also fired for him on Caranodo Island when he met with the Pres. of Mexico. Them 2 times firing was probably the 2 hardst jobs I have ever had. By God you had better not screw-up on one.

gwladgarwr
07-17-07, 11:58 AM
Abraham Lincoln, hands down.

He put down an insurrection that nearly tore this country apart.

He was principal in bringing an end to slavery.

He re-united and strengthened a divided United States that went on to become the most powerful nation the world has ever seen, even more powerful than its former colonial ruler, Great Britain.

By his hand, he forced a greedy and alarmed Britain (and every other opportunistic European power) to back off from intervening in our internal struggle. None has ever attempted to intervene ever since.

By his actions, he solidified the territorial conquest and annexation from Mexico of California, Arizona, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, Colorado, and Oklahoma, and parts of Wyoming and Idaho. He also forced the British to recognize American sovereignty in the Oregon Territory between the 41st parallel and 49th parallel (marking the border of current Washington state and marking the border between the U.S. and British Columbia.) Though the U.S. and Great Britain signed a treaty in 1846, the British still coveted control of the great swath of territory from the Pacific Ocean to the eastern border of the current state of Idaho, the British made not one overt move to regain any formerly British-claimed territories from the United States while the U.S. was engaged in suppressing an internal insurrection. If the British had done so, the U.S. would have turned its attention to Canada and captured/annexed THAT as well, possibly rendering the Southern states virtually irrelevant with regard to natural resources and agriculture. (The British were wise to this and granted 'independence' to the Canadian provinces on July 1, 1867 so that if the United States chose to invade British possessions in Canada, the U.S. would no longer be just invading British colonial possessions - it would be invading a 'sovereign' nation which would thus justify a potential British intervention.) Oh: he also managed to buy Alaska off of Imperial Russia, too. Seward's Folly, indeed. Russia is still gnashing its teeth over THAT one. Come to think of it, so are Britain and Spain.

Just as a 'what-if', France, in this case, would have been more than happy to side with the newly-reaffirmed United States against Great Britain in order to regain its lost territories of New France (Québec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, and parts of Ontario and Manitoba.) So, Lincoln pursued war policies during the Civil War that not only thwarted British imperialistic goals in North America but those of imperial France (and possibly Prussian) ones as well.

And all this was headed and accomplished by a one-time failed postmaster, businessman, farmer, militiaman, politician, lawyer, and husband, who taught himself to read and write as a child, who managed to accend to the Presidency by securing the votes of less than half of the country in 1860 and 1864 and who advocated forgiveness, amnesty, and mutual cooperation with the separatist and rebellious Southern states. And have a hand in forming the Republican Party.

If it weren't for Abraham Lincoln, we wouldn't HAVE a United States of America to speak of, much less one to defend from the Nazis and Imperial Japan.

Hats off to you, Mr. Lincoln.

Sgt gw :iwo:

ggyoung
07-17-07, 12:04 PM
gwladarwr++++++++Are you that old to have served under Abe. Lincoln?

lucien2
07-17-07, 12:44 PM
Reagan...because my first 2 years in the Corps was under Carter.

thedrifter
07-17-07, 01:02 PM
Reagan has my vote....;)

Ellie

sparkie
07-17-07, 02:54 PM
Funny thing about Lincoln. I live in Nevada, which is called the Battle Born state. Truth is Lincoln supporters donated funds to get people to move here so there was enough population to become a state. The electorial votes were 'bought' so he could be elected to a 2nd term. Not saying that was bad, Just politics.

USMC-FO
07-17-07, 03:00 PM
Ditto "Gwladgarwr". The question, Sgt Young, has nothing to do with who was Pres when we were active, only "favorite".

3077India
07-17-07, 04:18 PM
I have two favorite Presidents: George Washington and Ronald "Ray-Gun" Reagan.

MY WORST PRESIDENT OF ALL TIME IS...
Abraham Lincoln, hands down.Who did everything he could to violate the Constitution and solidify Federal dominance over the States and begin the slow destruction of our liberties.

killerinstinct
07-17-07, 04:23 PM
thomas jefferson he spent most of his money and died in debt trying to educate and promote public schools and educating america

FistFu68
07-17-07, 07:12 PM
:evilgrin: WELL EVERYTIME I'M IN THE CRAPPER,AND WIPING MY AZZ;WILLIAM JEFFERSON CLINTON,COMES INTO MIND;WHAT A FRIGGING TURD!(LMAO):D

sparkie
07-17-07, 07:54 PM
thanks, Fist ,lest I ever forget

Gary Hall
07-17-07, 09:01 PM
I vote for Ronald Reagan and Harry S (no period) Truman. Ronald Reagan because he wrote his own speeches and was not mealy mouthed. He repeatedly took stands for right & wrong and was not politically correct about anything. Harry Truman because he was the last President not to be a college graduate, though he is alleged to be better read than most college grads. He was plain spoken, was a devoted family man, loyal to his friends (regardless) to the last and when his term of office was over he, Bess and Margaret packed their bags and quietly took the train home without any fanfare. He used the atomic bomb and I am thankful. Finally he was a pretty good piano player. I believe a little good music is good for the soul. One time when publically asked what he might have liked to have done otherwise in life he said he would have liked to have been a piano player in a ***** house. By the way, am I the only guy here that remembers the photo of Harry playing the White House piano with Lauren Bacall very prominently sitting on the piano top while President Truman played (probably Happy Times are Here Again), for the guests at the public event? Kindest regards, Gary Hall, W-3-1, 1950 - 51 (you see, I worked for President Truman, as an ammunition carrier (a pack mule, and a good job it was, better than many I have later had in civilian life) in the assault platoon, 1st Mar Div, FMF.

bigdog43701
07-18-07, 06:20 AM
two presidents came to mind:

NIXON for giving the military that HUGE pay raise...and

REAGAN true shooter, hard charging no bs approach

DWG
07-18-07, 07:12 AM
Jefferson Davis!!;)

:banana: :p

use2b
07-18-07, 07:40 AM
Damn sure isn't Bush !
I would have to say Nixon also. he brought me home in Jan 1973 and i still cherish my letter of appreciation from him.

I emailed Bush before the war started and told him , rice , and rumsfield how to win this war the smart way.
I said to stir up trouble along the Iranian / Iraq border and get those two fighting again.
those damn Muslims are so revengeus and blood thirsty that all the fanatics would rush to the front and kill each other while we sell weapons to both sides like good capitalist. but what the hell does a Marine Corps Sgt. Know ?
Plan B was to use Saddam against Saudi Arabia who produced 911. just when Saddom was about to behead the ruling family we could have had 3 demands approved to save their heads.
Oil Contracts for 100 Years
stop the teaching of hatred towards the west and U.S.Bases
but what does a Marine Corps Sgt . Know ?

Now I propose plan B.
That is we pull out of Iraq. [ now don't get mad , hear me out ]
Saudi Arabia continues to stab us in the back and they are 90+ % Sunni
Iran is Shiite.
We allow the big civil war to take place in Iraq and since these 2 countries both have a dog in the fight they will eventually go at each other.
We will teach the Saudis a lesson for being the birth place and financing terrorism and Bin Ladden can watch his country be destroyed because of what he started. his family will be embroiled in nothing but misery and it will all be at his hand.
end of rant but not all my thoughts on fighting to win !

Old Marine
07-18-07, 08:23 AM
Best Presidents during my lifetime.

l. FDR

2. Bill Clinton

crate78
07-18-07, 09:45 AM
How about Harry Truman? He at least had the balls to say what he thought. Plus I still think he made the right decision to nuke Japan and end WWII.

Japan may have been on the ropes, but they were nowhere near done. It recently came out that Japan was working on a submarine that would launch Kamikaze planes for the express mission of taking out the locks in the Panama Canal. The idea was the two oceans equalizing would create such havoc that the Allies would be distracted away from the war, letting Japan again get the upper hand.

crate

Goose
07-18-07, 10:19 AM
Reagan

Sgt Leprechaun
07-19-07, 08:37 AM
Reagan

T. Roosevelt

kentmitchell
07-21-07, 05:14 AM
Eisenhower.
He got a lot done, did it the right way so well that no one really noticed how good a president he was. Everytime you're traveling on an Interstate Highway, thank Ike.
Truman? Little man, smaller brain, big mouth. Nothing great about him. He almost caused us to lose a war to the North Koreans because he cut the military budget to the bone, then cut the bone. He also tried to do away with the Marine Corps. He hated the Corps.

FistFu68
07-21-07, 08:09 AM
:evilgrin: GEORGE WASHINGTON :evilgrin: :iwo: