PDA

View Full Version : Question about becoming an Officer.

Marines4life222
07-16-07, 10:02 AM
Hey,
I was talking to a recruiter the other day and he was explaining a program that is 6 years and I would go to college and after I was done with college I would be set up to have the option of being an Officer. However, I can find any information about this on Marines.com, and I was wondering if you guys could give me an little information. Just anything you know aboout this program.

Thanks in advnace

rvillac2
07-16-07, 10:45 AM
He is most likely talking about a Reserve 6x2 contract.
You'll go to recruit training, MCT, and then MOS training first. Then, you'll return home and serve 1 weekend/month and 2 weeks/year at a local reserve center. When you're not serving, you'll be a civilian that can do anything and work anywhere you want, including going to college.

There are several programs that lead to becoming an officer. As a reservist, all the options open to regular civilians are open to you. Read the website for more info. Additionally, there are other avenues open to you as a reservist that are based on meritorious service AND getting a college diploma. These programs change regularly and are announced within the Marine Corps admin systems. The specs for these programs may change by the time you're eligible for them so the information you find now may not be useful for you to plan your career.

Currently, well qualified reservist Marines with an Associates Degree can apply for OCC. "Well qualified" is up to the CO or a board assembled by the CO. Obviously, these are limited and highly sought after promotions, so it will be very competitive. Once accepted, the Marine would attend OCC, TBS, and then MOS school. Then, they would return to their Reserve unit as a Lieutenant and serve 1 weekend/month and 2 weeks/year under a new contract. Note that they will not promote to Captain unless they complete a 4 year degree.

My fellow Marines may correct me on some finer points but this is a "quick answer." LOL

Hope this helps.