PDA

View Full Version : Handling with care

thedrifter
07-16-07, 06:17 AM
Monday, July 16, 2007

By Lauralee Stephenson
Standard-Examiner correspondent

A Clearfield woman's motivation for sending care packages to Marines in the field starts at home

CLEARFIELD -- Janet Cunningham's son may not be deployed yet, but that hasn't stopped her from making care packages for his entire unit.

Cunningham said that when her son, Lance Corporal Tyler Cunningham, recently came home from U.S. Marine Corps training at Camp Pendleton in San Diego, his feet looked terrible. She said that the skin was coming off and they were just raw. She bought him several pairs of a special type of sock that helped to keep his feet dry in the terrible heat.

Cunningham said Tyler broke his hand two days before being deployed to Iraq.

"I'm not going to lie; I was glad that he didn't have to go yet," she said. "All that I could think was, 'What a blessing.' "

Tyler still may be deployed to Iraq. He had surgery to put screws in his wrist because of the severity

of the break, and is currently undergoing physical therapy to improve mobility.

Cunningham said that because her son was not being deployed, he gave all of the socks she bought him to other soldiers who were going to Iraq.

"I just couldn't believe how many of these soldiers didn't have these socks. My son's feet looked terrible after a week of training in the desert of California. These soldiers were going to Iraq, where temperatures are much hotter, and they will be there longer," Cunningham said.

"These men are out there defending our country. They deserve to have the best supplies so that they can do their job, whether it be socks, vests or other tools."

That's why she decided to put the care packages together. She also sends beef jerky and candies that don't melt, as well as thank-you cards from the community.

"I saw that a local car dealership was doing thank-you cards for the troops, and I thought that would be a good thing to add to the packages," she said.

Cunningham says she has enough to send each person in the unit one small care package which will include one pair of socks, a package of Lifesavers candy, beef jerky, antifungal foot cream, and shoe inserts.

She says that she would like to include more socks, but has not been able to do this yet, because the socks cost $5 a pair. There are 33 soldiers in her son's unit, and many have been to her home.

"Some of them came here when my son came home," she said. "They are just like brothers to him. It makes it a lot more personal when you know someone who's over there."

Cunningham says she gets daily updates about what is going on in Iraq on her computer, but says it is difficult to even look at the reports because one of those boys who were in her home could be someone injured or killed.

The average daytime temperature in Iraq in July and August is 120 degrees and Cunningham says that the soldiers walk about eight miles each day carrying guns and equipment.

Cunningham says that there is too much negativity about the war in the media and around the country.

"These boys are out there, and they want to finish the job, but it's hard if they don't have people behind them," she said. "It's hard for morale."

Cunningham says the packages will show these men and women that the country supports them and appreciates their efforts.

People interested in adding to Cunningham's care packages or would like to send a thank-you card to the troops can contact her at 773-7691.

Ellie