PDA

View Full Version : Dental Questions

aaronk
07-15-07, 08:34 PM
Precursor-
I appologize for making a new topic for this, but I am unable to reply in the others. I had an infected tooth a few years ago from an accident that happened 10 years prior, to make a very long story short, I had to get my front tooth and the one beside it removed. Right now I have what they call a "flipper" to fill the gap, basically it's an insert with two teeth on it so it looks like I'm not missing teeth.

Actual question-
From what I understand I am not able to wear this during basic (which I really wouldn't want to anyhow). What I want to know is, what will happen to my teeth in basic? What will they do about my missing teeth and when will it happen? I asked the dentist about how long it would take to fix my teeth (which requires drilling two titanium rods into my upper jawbone and mounting false teeth on them), he said it would take 12-14 months total.

Another concern I have is eating. It's hard for me to eat certain foods without tearing them apart with my hands, but I guess I will figure that out when I get there; Eat a ton of breads I guess :)

Thank you.

Haines
07-15-07, 09:58 PM
Unless you have an infection or just can't fuction, you'll be fine. When you get to boot you'll get a dental exam. They will determine if you need treatment there or wait until you get to the fleet.

As far as eating in Recruit Training, I don't remember ever having time to chew my food. ;=) You'll be fine.