PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in pics from GySgt Welsh, aka vmfn513?

jetdoc
07-15-07, 06:00 PM
vmfn513, Gunny Welsh has to be one of our most senior members, he is 82. We were over on the "bootcamp" section on a thread about yearbooks. He had said something about what is a boot camp year book and how he went through bootcamp and was shipped out. He never heard anything about a yearbook.

I told him the reason he didn't ever hear of a yearbook for bootcamp is they didn't have cameras invented yet back then. I have never posted to him and wasn't sure how he'd take it...he took it well and said that sort of stuff keeps him on his toes.

I emailed him telling him how invaluable he is to us Marines and all of the stories he has to have from when he was in, 43-57. He is a walking history book.

The last sentence of his email to me was, "I have some pictures of the Japanese Surrender (North China). Do you thlnk they would be of interest to the folks on board the Sta?"

DO I THINK WE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THOSE PICS??? I would LOVE to see those pics or any others he may have and hear some stories as well.

What do you all think?

OLE SARG
07-15-07, 06:15 PM
You bet we'd be interested in those pics!!!!!!!!!! I would be interested in ANY history Gunny Welsh puts out!!!!

SEMPER FI,

greensideout
07-15-07, 07:44 PM
That would be some rare photos of history that I would would enjoy seeing! His comments would be iceing on the cake!

jetdoc
07-15-07, 08:07 PM
Don't know if the Gunny just didn't think anyone would be interested in his stories or what. I told him I'm sure everyone here would love to see and hear from him. Maybe another email or two from others would help?

CWSaffels
07-18-07, 08:18 AM
Don't know if the Gunny just didn't think anyone would be interested in his stories or what. I told him I'm sure everyone here would love to see and hear from him. Maybe another email or two from others would help?
How meny emails do we have to bomb him with to get the pic and stories out of him. Hope not much prompting I hope. I love Marine Corps History. Come on Gunny Let us see these pic. Ooohraw

Semper Fi Marines

jetdoc
07-18-07, 08:38 AM
Hey Charles, man I just sent the Gunny another email just two seconds ago...Hope the old fart hasn't forgot his password to his computer, lol. (He knows I'm busting his chops),

jetdoc
07-18-07, 08:41 AM
Here is part of the email the Gunny sent me...its has SOME history in it.

"Graduated from Allegany Hi in 1942, tied to enlist and was stymied by the Gov. stopping all enlisting because the USA was losing
recruits. So I was delayed until April -43. Returned in 46 and did a stint with the reserves, on the I&I Staff, and went active in 48 just in time to caught in Truman's effort to erase the Corps. MacArthur wanted a Division when Korea broke out. None available. The Marines came up with a Provisional Brlgade. The trains west were loaded with Marines from wherever they could be found. The rest is History!
You know that kidding around - keeps you on your toes. Used to be called the RED Ass."

Lets see and hear some real history Gunny.

CWSaffels
07-18-07, 08:46 AM
Stay on top of him and don't let him go. Need to hear more. Need to know more come on Gunny Let the O'l brain work again. Ooohraw

Semper Fi

jetdoc
07-18-07, 06:27 PM
Hey Marines, Gunny just emailed me and said he is getting the pics and stuff together.

When he was in Korea he served with, VMF(n)-513, they flew the B-26 Night Intruders and were called the "Fying Nightmares"

http://kalaniosullivan.com/KunsanAB/VMF513/Howitwasa1a1.html

I hope the Gunny posts soon.

crate78
07-18-07, 09:13 PM
As I recall, 513 eventually got the F3D "Willie the Whale" Skynights, twin seat, twin jets.

The F3D's made history by being the first fighter plane to shoot down an enemy plane at night with no visual contact, strictly by radar. I believe it was Marines from 513 that did it.

I wasn't there, but I recall men that were there talking about it. The F3D carried a pilot and AIO, (Airborne Intercept Operator), seated side by side. I got an occasional hop in them when I was in avionics in VMF (n) 531. You entered the cockpit through a hatch in the top, and instead of ejection seats there was a chute between the seats that exited out the bottom of the fuselage. AIO's were normally Staff NCO's who somehow seemed to disappear into the woodwork except when they had a flight scheduled.

My history lesson for the day.

crate

jetdoc
07-21-07, 08:17 AM
Cool story crate, thanks.

Gunny Welsh sent me two pics as a test of his ability to send them. I know posting pics can be a pain. He has to actually take the pics from his photo album and scan them to his PC. Thats why its taking some time.

I told Gunny that getting photbucket or something like that is needed. So I will post the two pics Gunny sent me...more to come.

jetdoc
07-21-07, 08:22 AM
Gene, plz pardon my ignorance but in your profile its says you're an E5 SSgt, can you give me a lesson on that?

crate78
07-21-07, 09:08 AM
Up until they changed the rank structure in 1959, Staff Sergeants were E-5. Lance Corporals didn't exist. Master Sergeant, E-7, was the top enlisted rank. The total enlisted ranks were Private, Pfc, Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Technical Sergeant, and Master Sergeant. First Sergeants and Sergeants Major were still E-7, but had seniority based on their title.

In 1959, Lance Corporal was inserted into the rank structure, Tech Sergeants became Gunnery Sergeants, and Master Gunnery Sergeants were added to the top. There ensued several years of total, complicated mass confusion. The Air Force did it the simplest way by simply adding two new ranks to the top of their existing rank structure.

The Corp's structure of adapting to two more enlisted pay grades was mostly Commandant David Shoup's doings. He may have been a good troop commander in WWII, but, as far as I'm concerned, as a Commandant he sucked. He also effectively did away with Officer and Staff NCO swagger sticks two weeks after I bought mine. When he put out a memo stating that in the Staff NCO ranks married men would be selected for promotion over single men, he lost me. As I was reveling in bachelorhood at the time, and wasn't about to cut my throat over the first bar-fly broad I ran into so the record would show I was married, my hitch ended and I found it convenient to say to hell with the whole sorry mess.

crate

jetdoc
07-21-07, 09:50 AM
Interesting Gene, thanks. I learn so much Marine Corps history on this board. I'm not 100% sure what the "swagger stick" is however.

The Air Force still has the same structure however a few years ago...while I was still in, they decided that a Msgt should have the rocker above their stripes. It used to be a Chief would get you the rocker on the upper part of your stripes, Msgt still was all down stripes.

Before I retired the Air Farce, (yes I know I typed Farce), went to this for Msgt, prior it was still 6 stripes, but all were down.

http://z.about.com/d/usmilitary/1/0/D/a/afe7.jpg

jetdoc
07-21-07, 09:55 AM
Here are two of the pics Gunny Welsh sent to me: Again, more to come.

http://lh6.google.com/jetdoc3037/RqIPwayiJ3I/AAAAAAAAAqY/btmLZ5yLdxY/Gunnys%20Pics.jpg

jetdoc
07-21-07, 09:57 AM
http://lh6.google.com/jetdoc3037/RqIQHayiJ5I/AAAAAAAAAqk/qALTU9Qwm8w/Gunnys%20PIcs%201.jpg?imgmax=512

jetdoc
07-21-07, 10:03 AM
For some reason the second pic isn't loading...will check it out and try later.

Old Marine
07-21-07, 10:10 AM
Up until they changed the rank structure in 1959, Staff Sergeants were E-5. Lance Corporals didn't exist. Master Sergeant, E-7, was the top enlisted rank. The total enlisted ranks were Private, Pfc, Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Technical Sergeant, and Master Sergeant. First Sergeants and Sergeants Major were still E-7, but had seniority based on their title.

In 1959, Lance Corporal was inserted into the rank structure, Tech Sergeants became Gunnery Sergeants, and Master Gunnery Sergeants were added to the top. There ensued several years of total, complicated mass confusion. The Air Force did it the simplest way by simply adding two new ranks to the top of their existing rank structure.

The Corp's structure of adapting to two more enlisted pay grades was mostly Commandant David Shoup's doings. He may have been a good troop commander in WWII, but, as far as I'm concerned, as a Commandant he sucked. He also effectively did away with Officer and Staff NCO swagger sticks two weeks after I bought mine. When he put out a memo stating that in the Staff NCO ranks married men would be selected for promotion over single men, he lost me. As I was reveling in bachelorhood at the time, and wasn't about to cut my throat over the first bar-fly broad I ran into so the record would show I was married, my hitch ended and I found it convenient to say to hell with the whole sorry mess.

crate

During this period of time, there were a lot of Actors running around in the Corps. As in Acting Corporal, Acting Sgt, Acting SSgt, Acting GySgt and right up the enlisted rank structure.

CWSaffels
07-21-07, 10:19 AM
During this period of time, there were a lot of Actors running around in the Corps. As in Acting Corporal, Acting Sgt, Acting SSgt, Acting GySgt and right up the enlisted rank structure.
Know what you mean about actors. We had a few of them too. I can remember 2nd Lt that was acting like he knew something and knew nothing. But he was a boot Lt so what can an enlisted Pe-on do. Not to question why just do or die.

CWSaffels
07-21-07, 10:24 AM
For some reason the second pic isn't loading...will check it out and try later.
hurry up. wait, wait, wait, just like the Corps. HAHA

CWSaffels
07-21-07, 10:29 AM
My brother-in-law was in the Corps at that time. I can remember when the ranks changed. You are correct, it was a big cluster ****. Sence he was married he made rank quick. Then the Cuba thing came up and he was put on a ship and was on the blockaid. He told me that, that was a time that Marines were realy ready to hit the beach and kick ass and take names later.

Semper Fi

crate78
07-21-07, 01:35 PM
The swagger stick (I think you can see them in Grit's catalog) were a hardwood stick about two feet long and a half inch in diameter, tapering toward one end. Each end had a brass cap a couple of inches long and the large end had a Marine Corps emblem on the end. There also was room to have your service number and initials engraved.

I think it carried over from the days when Cavalry carried riding crops. In it's last use, it simply gave you something to do with your hands. It was also something of a status symbol. When I had a desk job with an insurance company, I took mine to work once and threatened to thump a couple of doggies that were giving me static.

crate

kato811
07-22-07, 08:20 PM
I for one think it would be great to see some history from our Senior Marines

greensideout
07-22-07, 11:50 PM
The swagger stick (I think you can see them in Grit's catalog) were a hardwood stick about two feet long and a half inch in diameter, tapering toward one end. Each end had a brass cap a couple of inches long and the large end had a Marine Corps emblem on the end. There also was room to have your service number and initials engraved.

I think it carried over from the days when Cavalry carried riding crops. In it's last use, it simply gave you something to do with your hands. It was also something of a status symbol. When I had a desk job with an insurance company, I took mine to work once and threatened to thump a couple of doggies that were giving me static.

crate

I'll go dig mine out and take a pic. My swagger stick is about a foot or so long with a 50 BMG brass case on one end and a 30 cal case on the other, both chrome plated with the EGA and rank on the 50 cal. The stick I have has my duty stations painted on the wood shaft. Kind'a neat. Got mine in Oki. Photo will follow.

jetdoc
07-23-07, 07:49 AM
Love to see it...and still waiting on the Gunny...have to give the older farts more time to do things...lol.

JinxJr
07-23-07, 08:33 AM
History of the Swagger Stick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swagger_stick

jetdoc
07-23-07, 02:17 PM
Thanks Jinx..will read it in a few.

jetdoc
07-28-07, 11:21 AM
Bump.

vmfn513
07-28-07, 04:37 PM
Hey Marines, Gunny just emailed me and said he is getting the pics and stuff together.

When he was in Korea he served with, VMF(n)-513, they flew the B-26 Night Intruders and were called the "Fying Nightmares"

http://kalaniosullivan.com/KunsanAB/VMF513/Howitwasa1a1.html

I hope the Gunny posts soon.

No 26 how about F4U 5N? It is the picture I sent. : ) I took Pictures of my
albun Photos (Jap Surrender, Great wall, And Peiping Areas) Need to edit them after Downloading to the PC. Should have something by next Week.
At least I'll try hard. But you know how Old folks are....kinda slow. Bear w/me.;)

jetdoc
07-28-07, 04:44 PM
Gunny, the only pics I received was this one:

http://lh6.google.com/jetdoc3037/RqIPwayiJ3I/AAAAAAAAAqY/btmLZ5yLdxY/Gunnys%20Pics.jpg

And your squadron patch...that one I had an issue with and will see it will upload correctly this time. Thats it sir, (2) pics. How many did you send?

Its ok Gunny take your time, at least I know the dealy is because you're downloading them to your PC....I thought maybe you just thought to yourself, "Damn, I was downloading these pics to post them on some website..what the hell was the name of that site"? hehehe

:D

jetdoc
07-28-07, 04:44 PM
Gunny, the only pics I received was this one:

And your squadron patch...that one I had an issue with and will see it will upload correctly this tim. Thats it sir, (2) pics. How many did you send?

Its ok Gunny take your time, at least I know the dealy is because you're downloading them to your PC....I thought maybe you just thought to yourself, "Damn, I was downloading these pics to post them on some website..what the hell was the name of that site"? hehehe

:D

jetdoc
07-29-07, 08:51 AM
Let me try this again...put pics into photbucket this time so the patch came up.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n234/jetdoc/AAAMarine1.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n234/jetdoc/AAAMarine.jpg