PDA

View Full Version : Am I old or what?

jetdoc
07-15-07, 01:45 PM
I was on the chat last night mostly with Poolee's, which is fine. I saw one type in, "Im 17 now, so if I do my 20 yrs and get out I will only be 37".

I was thinking, crap, I'm already 10 years older than what she will be when she retires in 20 YEARS!!! Made me feel old, lol. :sick:

I don't think of myself as old and I feel really good, but hearing stuff like that makes one think a bit...or at least me.

Thanks for letting me vent gang.

Marine84
07-15-07, 02:38 PM
I'm with ya jetdoc................

thedrifter
07-15-07, 03:07 PM
I feel old all the time, and get told about on a regular base....;)

My oldest is going on 29...

Age is a number in my books....:D

Ellie

jetdoc
07-15-07, 03:10 PM
Marine84, whats that saying they have now...todays 50 yr old is like yesterdays 40 yr old? Or todays 60yr old is like yesterdays 50yr old?

use2b
07-15-07, 03:16 PM
hell no were not getting old.
were Marines and the Marine Corps will live forever !

its younguns who are getting younger !

Phantom Blooper
07-15-07, 03:20 PM
<CENTER>

Are you lonesome tonight?
Does your tummy feel tight?
Did you bring your mylanta and tums?<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>
Does your memory stray,
To that bright sunny day,
When you had all your teeth and your gums?<O:P></O:P>
Is your hairline receding?
Your eyes growing dim?
Hysterectomy for her,
And its prostate for him.<O:P>
</O:P>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jwwaller/elvis/elvis.gif<O:P> </O:P>
Does your back give you pain?
Do your knees predict rain?
Tell me dear, are you lonesome tonight?<O:P></O:P>
Is your blood pressure up?
Good cholesterol down?
Are you eating your low fat cuisine?<O:P></O:P>
All that oat bran and fruit,
Metamucil to boot.
Helps you run like
A well oiled machine.<O:P>
</O:P><O:P></O:P>
If it's football or baseball,
He sure knows the score.
Yes, he knows where it's at
But forgets what it's for.<O:P></O:P>
So your gallbladder's gone,
But your gout lingers on,
Tell me dear, are you lonesome tonight?<O:P></O:P>
When you're hungry, he's not,
When you're cold, he is hot,
Then you start that old thermostat war.<O:P></O:P>
When you turn out the light,
He goes left and you go right,
Then you get his great symphonic snore.<O:P></O:P>
He was once so romantic,
So witty and smart;
How did he turn out to be such
A cranky old fart?<O:P></O:P>
So don't take any bets,
It's as good as it gets,<O:P></O:P>
Tell me dear, are you lonesome tonight?

Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building.

</CENTER>

Quinbo
07-15-07, 03:50 PM
Was playing this goofy card game with the kids I had learned overseas. You grab a card lick it then stick it to your forehead. Everyone can see everyone elses card but not their own. We were betting laps around the house.... about 200 yards. I put in my bet of 10 laps and lost and when I went out to bang out 10 laps I came in after 6 and said ... huh huhh huhh ... ok this time we are playing for my other 4. LOL

iamcloudlander
07-15-07, 04:36 PM
jetdoc
think of aging like the article below

To: All our friends that feel the space of time and don't care anymore

Growing Older, I decided, is a gift.

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body ... the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the cellulite. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror, but I don't agonize over those things for long.I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avant garde on my patio. I am entitled to be messy, to be extravagant, to smell the flowers. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 a.m and then sleep until -- ?

I will dance ! with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50's & 60's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the bikini set.

They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But then again, some of life is just as well forgotten and I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when a beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turn gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver. I can say "no," and mean it. I can say "yes." and mean it

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being older. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day... (if I want).

Zulu 36
07-15-07, 05:36 PM
This thread reminds me of a bit of graffiti I found inside my footlocker at Edson Range in boot camp:

"Old Marines never die - they just smell that way." :sick:

jetdoc
07-15-07, 05:40 PM
Great posts...Zulu, thats funny as sheet.

mattintexas
07-15-07, 05:44 PM
Just after we got into it in Iraq, I was in Austin, and went to a local recruiting office to get an emblem for my truck. The recruiter asked if he could help me, I told him that I doubted if he could, but would greatly appreciate it if he would. I replied, enlist me. He said he did'nt think he could. I served from '53 to '56. I would gladly serve again, but I'm "OLD".

crate78
07-15-07, 06:42 PM
I'm 72, and it occurs to me that I really don't think of myself differently, or feel any differently, than when I was in my 40's. I probably have more plans and more things I want to do with my life yet than a lot of people half my age.

It totally infuriates me when some thirty-something member of the medical profession acts condescending about some minor physical problem as though I won't be around all that long anyway. If I have an ailment, I want it fixed so I can get on with my life.

My mother, who lived a lively and productive life to 94, had a plaque on her wall that said, "I'm not afraid of tomorrow. I've seen yesterday and I love today".

crate

Ironrider
07-16-07, 03:43 PM
I decided I was getting older, when I figured the girl that is my bartender is too damn young...:p

sparkie
07-16-07, 04:15 PM
Really know what you mean, Ironrider, Some friend says "check out that babe" and I turn around and only see children.

Ironrider
07-16-07, 04:32 PM
Yeah, like them newbees on the PD. Are we SURE they're old enough to wear the badge???? Damn I turned into onna them old bastards I used to complain about...:D

sparkie
07-16-07, 04:39 PM
I think I've seen cops driving on a learners permit. If I ever get pulled over, I would feel safer if I thought the guy could at least kick MY ass.

Sgt Jim
07-16-07, 05:29 PM
old age is only in your mind, (back,knees,sholders,feet,elbows hands) did i leave any thing out?.took a pill and i,m fine for now,Semper FI

sparkie
07-16-07, 05:43 PM
My mind will never get old, I pickled it years ago. Talk about planning!

Marine84
07-16-07, 05:44 PM
HAHAHA! I tried to get back in after 9/11 - I called a Recruiter and asked if age could be waived, he asked what age, I told him 40 and he pretty much told me (not in these exact words) that they were still looking for a few good men, not a few old ladies.

jetdoc
07-16-07, 05:51 PM
HAHAHA! I tried to get back in after 9/11 - I called a Recruiter and asked if age could be waived, he asked what age, I told him 40 and he pretty much told me (not in these exact words) that they were still looking for a few good men, not a few old ladies.

Ouch, thats cold. Did you tell him what I said earlier, todays 40yr old is like yesterdays 30yr old? lol. So you were really only 30.

davblay
07-16-07, 05:54 PM
Good one KIM! You owe me! My brother retired, 30 years, Army, MSGT(E8) three years ago----age 47! Hell I was 52 and I thought I was young! with his degree from Vanderbilt (he got while in the Army) he has started a new career working on computer programs! Go Figure!

sparkie
07-16-07, 06:01 PM
Strange story, but I was out for about 2 years, and I went to the reserve base to sign up. I really missed it. They took a look at my DD214 and said I was discharged as a drug user, What the hell? I...

davblay
07-16-07, 06:02 PM
LMAO! :beer:

Marine84
07-16-07, 06:05 PM
That's funny as hell! :)

sparkie
07-16-07, 06:11 PM
Yea, funny now but heartbroken then, oh, well get over it.

lucien2
07-17-07, 12:54 PM
45 here....

Dave Coup
07-17-07, 02:02 PM
Getting old is a problem of mind over matter. If you don't mind it don't matter!

SF

Dave

WalkingMan
07-17-07, 05:00 PM
I was on the chat last night mostly with Poolee's, which is fine. I saw one type in, "Im 17 now, so if I do my 20 yrs and get out I will only be 37".

I was thinking, crap, I'm already 10 years older than what she will be when she retires in 20 YEARS!!! Made me feel old, lol.

I don't think of myself as old and I feel really good, but hearing stuff like that makes one think a bit...or at least me.

Thanks for letting me vent gang.

Hmm... I'll be 59 in September.

I just keep on running five miles and doing my 45 minutes of PT every morning (except Sunday), and putting in a full day's work, and I don't spend a lot of time worrying about advancing age.

I figure it's better to light a candle, than it is to curse the darkness.

http://robertwittig.org/face/PT-1.jpg

http://robertwittig.org/face/PT-2.jpg

http://robertwittig.org/face/PT-3.jpg

Marine84
07-17-07, 07:35 PM
Well YOU GO BOY!!!!! DAYAM! I ain't never seen 59 that looked like THAT! I know advancing age is the natural cycle of life but.................and then God decides to mess with us women even more by making us go through that whole "change" thing. Funny...................I never knew there was anybody else in here with me til last year.

OLE SARG
07-17-07, 09:21 PM
I agree with WalkingMan, keeping active is the main key. I will turn 66 in September and I'm still working, keep the treadmill going, and use the hell out of my AbLounge!!!! I'm 6'2" tall and STILL weigh 230 pounds. Have had a stent put in the ticker and have had my lower three vertebrea fused and have a bad right knee, but I keep on ticking!!!

SEMPER FI,

bigdog43701
07-18-07, 06:14 AM
don't really feel any differant than when i was 18...just when i fall it hurts longer.

i say i am like a fine wine...i get better with age, wife says i am like a fine cheese...iget smellier with age.

anyway i will be 55 in two weeks and i can still PASS the Marine PFT

WalkingMan
07-18-07, 07:12 PM
Well YOU GO BOY!!!!! DAYAM! I ain't never seen 59 that looked like THAT! I know advancing age is the natural cycle of life but.................and then God decides to mess with us women even more by making us go through that whole "change" thing. Funny...................I never knew there was anybody else in here with me til last year.

Yikes!

What really impresses me, is how Positive this thread has become! Kimbery, Ole Sarge and bigdog all pretty much answer the question, that was posed in the title of this thread... "Am I old or what?" ...not if we maintain a Marine Corps Attitude. :thumbup:

Just for fun, I threw together a web page showing how I set up my workout station with a bunch of second-hand stuff, old pipes, and bailing wire, so I could keep in shape without spending a lot of money:

http://robertwittig.org/face/PT.html

Ironrider
07-18-07, 07:16 PM
Awww man,now this HURTS...my badge number is 2822, the newest rookies' is 10233....DAMN, no wonder that cute lil blonde beermaid looks so young....LOL:p

jetdoc
07-18-07, 07:39 PM
I"ve been working on dropping overall fat. Doing it slowly and healthy.

I hit the gym 4-5 days a week, free weights mostly and at a pretty fast paced. I try to kill two birds with one stone and its working well. I am dropping fat and gaining strength, which is hard to do.

I will say at this point in my life I am lifting more weight than at any other point in my life.

Ironrider
07-18-07, 07:43 PM
GOOD ON YA JET.....Keep pushing at it Bro. :marine:

jetdoc
07-18-07, 07:56 PM
Thanks Ironrider...I'm trying brother. Its taking some time to get to where I want to be, but I missed about a year of lifting last year, so its my fault. I was almost to where I wanted to be before I had an injury and sidetracked me. Just started back up this past Jan.

BTW Ironrider, what kind of bike(s) do you have? I have a 98 FXSTC, a 81 LowRider and a 79 Honda CBX. The CBX is my baby, its an aircooled, inline 6 cyl. I've owned it since 82, bought it from a Marine at Andrews AFB. Only have 11k miles on it.

Ironrider
07-18-07, 08:15 PM
I HAD a 49Panhead and a 92Sporty. However, since I'm help together with nuts and bolts, I can't walk after I ride. So I gave them to my brother....

jetdoc
07-18-07, 08:35 PM
Thats cool Iron, the 49Panhead must have been something. I'm into the "bobber" style bikes. I like the old school, bad azz look. Those long futuristic bikes do nothing for me.

Must be tough getting through airport security with all of those nuts and bolts brother, lol.

Ironrider
07-18-07, 08:37 PM
Yeah, but I have fun with it.....;)

dleroy
07-19-07, 06:23 AM
I had to quit jogging,cigarettes kept flying out my pocket,and I'd keep spilling my drink.

jetdoc
07-19-07, 09:12 AM
Darwin, thats a classic post man....hahaha.