PDA

View Full Version : Mansfield soldier rides a Buffalo through Iraq

thedrifter
07-15-07, 08:05 AM
Mansfield soldier rides a Buffalo through Iraq
By MARK CAUDILL
News Journal

http://cmsimg.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B7&Date=20070715&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=707150304&Ref=AR&MaxW=290

U.S. Marine Cpl. Charles Norris III, a Mansfield native, stands near a Buffalo, an armored truck he uses while searching for improvised explosive devices in Iraq.

AL ASAD, Iraq -- U.S. Marine Cpl. Charles Norris III patrols the streets in an "armored Mack truck," searching for improvised bombs.

It's a dangerous job in a dangerous country, but Norris, 26, wouldn't have it any other way.

The Mansfield native is about midway through his second deployment in Iraq. He and his route clearance platoon have found seven IEDs -- improvised explosive devices -- in the last three and a half months.
"We take them out of the ground and dismantle them," Norris said.

Norris called the News Journal from Al Asad on Tuesday. As the wind blew in the background, the Marine said the temperature had reached 115 degrees that day, making it one of the cooler days.

Norris noted he gets to ride in a Buffalo, an air-conditioned vehicle. Unlike the regular Humvee, the Buffalo is built to sustain an IED attack.

Inspired by his grandfather, a World War II veteran who fought in the Battle of Guadalcanal, Norris joined the Marines about two and a half years ago. He is stationed in Oceanside, Calif.

His grandfather, who retired as a master sergeant after nine years in the Marine Corps, discouraged Norris from joining the military.

Norris also drew inspiration from Army Spc. A.J. Vandayburg, another local. The 20-year-old was killed in April 2004 when his 1st Infantry Division convoy was attacked by insurgents. Both Vandayburg, the first local soldier to die of combat injuries in Iraq, and Norris are the sons of Mansfield police officers.

"I went to his funeral," Norris said. "After I saw that, I wanted to do my part."

Norris attended Madison Comprehensive High School and later earned his GED. He was working at RR Donnelley in Willard when he joined the Marines.

"It's a change," Norris said. "You get to do so many different things you wouldn't get to do on a normal job."

Those things include coming under a mortar attack, which happened to Norris last year during his deployment in Fallujah.

"It shakes you up," he said. "They're very loud."

While Norris serves his country, wife Cassie and son Brendan, 5, wait for his return.

"It's hard," he said of the separation. "They (kids) do a lot of growing. I e-mail Cass and talk to her on the phone."

Norris said there's a "good possibility" he will be deployed a third time next year.

In his current assignment searching for IEDs, Norris said he volunteered for the role because most guys from his last platoon are doing the same.

"Being with them, I feel real comfortable," he said.

A typical day, which usually lasts 12 hours, starts at 4:30 a.m.

One aspect that helps Norris get through each day is the support of the Iraqi people.

"They really like us, especially the little kids," he said. "They come out and wave to us."

Norris said handling stress is part of the job. "On a day-to-day basis, you just deal with it." The Marine has a message for those he's left behind.

"I love 'em," he said. "I'll be home soon."

Chuck Norris is a 23-year veteran of the city police department. Like his son, he was inspired by Charles Norris, the WWII veteran.

"I wanted to join the military," Chuck said. "He insisted I went to college. I complied with his wishes."

Chuck worked three years at the Ashland Police Department before coming to Mansfield PD in 1984. He spends most of his time as the school resource officer at Mansfield Senior High School. This summer, he is working in community policing.

Chuck expressed confidence the Marines will ensure his son and his route clearance platoon are ready for the assignment.

"We pray every day because it's such a dangerous job he does," Chuck said. "I'm 100 percent behind him. He thinks we belong there."

Cassie Norris, 24, said she worried about her husband more last year during his first deployment.

"He's in a safe area, as safe as Iraq can be," she said. "I could not imagine if he were in the infantry. I know he has a safer job, and I know he's coming home."

Cassie said they met "a long time ago through a friend, probably when I was 14 years old."

There wasn't an instant connection, and Cassie moved from Mansfield to Kentucky to live with her father. She and Charles became close when she returned to visit her mother.

The separation takes a toll.

"At times, it's rough," Cassie said. "I do work, fortunately. I also don't think I would be as strong without my son."

Young Brendan didn't understand his daddy's first deployment. She described the second time as "heartbreaking."

"When he saw that Charlie was getting on the bus, he just broke down," Cassie said.

Cassie said her cell phone doesn't ever leave her side in case Charlie calls.

"Whatever he does, I'll always support him," Cassie said. "I'll always be waiting on him."

mcaudill@nncogannett.com 419-521-7219

Ellie