PDA

View Full Version : IST and boot

devildog2011
07-14-07, 06:41 PM
Im at 125 on 2 min. crunches, and at 20 pull ups, but my run time still pretty much sucks even though Im running a LOT. What is a good IST time on the 1.5 mile, and does it matter what your time is as long as you pass? And, how screwed am I going to be during boot with a bad run time, since I know runnings a lot more important than crunches and pull ups? And not that it matters, but even though I cant run for crap, Ill still never give up and walk...... just saying.

Semper Fi:usmc:

Haffner
07-14-07, 07:10 PM
Well, think of it this way. Perfect PFT = 18 min, that means a perfect on the IST = 9 min. Max time for a PFT = 28 min, so max time for an IST = 14 min. If it takes you longer than 14 minutes to run your IST, well, you better damn improve.

Does it matter what your time is as long as you pass -- OF COURSE IT DOES. Do you want to be a freakin' Marine? We don't settle for the bare minimum. EVER.

Check it out, though. 100 crunches + 20 pullups already is a 200 on the PFT. If you juts pass the run, coming in at 27:59, that'll give you 40 points. That's an automatic 240 on the PFT; 15 points above first class. Even though you'll have your 1st class, you always need to be focusing on cutting that run time down, or getting more pullups, etc etc.

Tips: Get used to running much longer distances than 3 miles. It'll make the PFT easier because it'll seem shorter. Forget about the IST: Marines do PFTs. Prepare yourself for the future.

Sprints. Lots of sprints. Best way to cut your run time down.

devildog2011
07-14-07, 07:18 PM
I know the Marines never settle for minimum, or anything under the best. Which is good because neither do I. I knew after I posted, that it would be misinterpreted (sp) but I meant are there any consequences other than my own sense of failure at not getting the best? Trust me, if I could run and get a 9 minute half mile, Id work on getting an 8:30. I was not asking for confirmation to slack off, just asking. But thank you for your answer, and how long of sprints, 50 yard, 100 yard, 1/4 mile? or just sprinting all lengths.

devildog2011
07-14-07, 07:20 PM
I know the Marines never settle for minimum, or anything under the best. Which is good because neither do I. I knew after I posted, that it would be misinterpreted (sp) but I meant are there any consequences other than my own sense of failure at not getting the best? Trust me, if I could run and get a 9 minute half mile, Id work on getting an 8:30. I was not asking for confirmation to slack off, just asking. But thank you for your answer, and how long of sprints, 50 yard, 100 yard, 1/4 mile? or just sprinting all lengths.

And I know I already can get a first class right now, Im aiming for a 285 for officer in Recon so I know I have a LOT LOT LOT of work. (and if I get that, theres no reason I cant get a 300)

Haffner
07-15-07, 12:37 AM
Oh, I wasn't assuming you were saying you WOULD accept the bare minimum. I was just making sure for the reference of you and others that settling at mediocracy is not ok.

There aren't any immediate consequences of not having a 100% maxed out PFT. Your PFT however does affect promotions. If you fail a PFT (which you obviously won't) you'll be non-recomended for promotion. On the other hand, you get a certain amount of points towards your cutting score based on how high your PFT is. The point difference between a 225 PFTer and a 300 PFTer is more than enough to make a difference.

So, all in all, yes, there are consequences to having a poor PFT, and there is always room for improvement, but at the same time, if you're doing over 250-260, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

BR34
07-15-07, 08:50 AM
Correction LCpl, the max time for the run on the IST is 13:30.

You will improve devildog2011. I ran a 13:20 1.5 mile, 12 pullups and 100 crunches when I ran my IST. Now I'm doing 20:30 3 mile, 19 pullups, and 100 crunches on the PFT.

Bootcamp is designed to condition you for these things. Just keep working at it and don't sweat it.

jetdoc
07-15-07, 09:29 AM
Oddly I found the 5 mile run in bootcamp to be a breeze and I did my best time, relatively speaking. I'm not built for long distance running but I always finished the 3 miles, it was tough sometimes.

I did the 20 and 80 and did the run in a ok time, (can't remember the time however).

What helped me, 2011, was a tip or two from the Lt. as we were running. As I'm a big guy he told me to keep my arm swing down, as it requires a lot of energy to swing your arms. Kinda relaxed, thumb and forefinger touching, (not a balled up fist, relax your hands). Swing your arms slightly, angled down at your hips/upper thigh area. Again, not over swinging.

He also helped me with my breathing. He had me breath in once and exhale twice, again, in a relaxed way. That breathing helped me out a lot and it did relax me.

After those instrutions from the Lt. the run wa a lot easier for me. I still didn't do the run in 18 mins. but I always finished in a respectable time and more importantly I fisnished not feeling like I was dying.

Haffner
07-15-07, 11:24 AM
My bad on that one, BRO3Hopeful. Should've taken the time to look it up, but I'd still rather impart upon these poolees to practice for PFTs, not ISTs, ya know?

I mean, for sake of argument, it'll get them better at running an IST quicker (in my opinion) but then also get them used to what their timed runs for the next 4-5 years will be like (somewhat).