amorimj
03-20-03, 08:51 PM
News said it was a H46, 12 Marines and 4 British troops. All died

SheWolf
03-20-03, 08:53 PM
what unit??????

amorimj
03-20-03, 08:58 PM
Sorry, no unit listed, and won't for awhile I'm sure.

thedrifter
03-20-03, 09:00 PM
Marine Chopper Crash Kills 16 in Kuwait
5 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A U.S. Marine helicopter crashed in Kuwait Thursday, killing all 16 American and British soldiers aboard, military officials said.

AP Photo

The crash of the CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter killed 12 U.S. and 4 British soldiers, officials said.

U.S. military officials said they did not have further details about the crash.

Prayers are with the families....

thedrifter
03-20-03, 09:10 PM
Marine Chopper Crash Kills 16 in Kuwait
1 minute ago

WASHINGTON - A U.S. Marine helicopter crashed in Kuwait Thursday, killing all 16 American and British soldiers aboard, military officials said.

The crash of the CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter killed 12 U.S. and four British soldiers, officials said. The helicopter was assigned to the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force.

The helicopter crashed at 7:37 p.m. EST in Kuwait, about 9 miles away from the border with Iraq (news - web sites), military officials said. The cause of the crash is under investigation, the officials said, adding that hostile fire had not been reported in the area.

The Marines use the Sea Knight, a bus-like helicopter with two large rotors, to fly troops from ships at sea or base camps to forward positions.

The Navy and Marines grounded all 291 Sea Knight helicopters in August after an inspection of one helicopter in North Carolina found a crack in a rotor assembly. A Marine Corps CH-46 crashed in 2001, killing three Marines and injuring two.

Sempers,

Roger

amorimj
03-20-03, 09:40 PM
Now the news is saying 12 Brits and 4 Marines went down in the CH 46.

thedrifter
03-20-03, 09:53 PM
That's what I'm hearing now.....

Sempers,

Roger

firstsgtmike
03-21-03, 12:54 AM
That kind of reporting ****es me off.

What was gained by this "live action" reporting, that couldn't have waited several hours until the families of those killed could be notified?

Then, the event could be publicized, with a notation that the families had already been notified. Then, if you hadn't been notified, you could give your prayer of thanksgiving that none of them belonged to you, and add a prayer for their families.

Were four lines of news space worth the agony they caused?

JAMarine
03-21-03, 01:47 AM
Right On firstsgtmike. I agree.

SheWolf
03-21-03, 04:53 AM
Were four lines of news space worth the agony they caused?

I agree, I despise the press,,, it makes for an agonizing time, when some of it could be avoided by waiting, out of respect, out of decency, and to be accurate,,,

God Bless those Marines and Brits,, and may their families find peace.....

thedrifter
03-21-03, 05:37 AM
Helicopter crash in Kuwait kills 12

From Jamie McIntyre
CNN
Friday, March 21, 2003 Posted: 2:51 AM EST (0751 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A U.S. Marine CH-46 helicopter crashed early Friday in Kuwait, killing all 12 people aboard, the first coalition fatalities of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Pentagon officials said.

The 12 aboard included eight British military personnel and four American crew members, Pentagon officials said.

The helicopter crashed 9 miles south of Kuwait's border with Iraq at 3:40 a.m. (7:40 p.m. ET Thursday).

There was no indication of hostile fire, officials said, saying it appeared the chopper went down because of some other problem, possibly mechanical.

The CH-46 is a dual-rotor assault helicopter mainly used to transport troops, supplies and equipment. Troop transport is the primary function of the helicopter, and movement of equipment and supplies is secondary.

The CH-46 has a maximum combat capacity of 14 troops and two aerial gunners.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/WORLD/meast/03/20/sprj.irq.chopper.crash/story.ch46.jpg

Sempers,

Roger

Prayers to the family

leroy8541
03-21-03, 05:47 AM
Heart and sympathy goes out to the four U.S. Marines killed on board the -46along with the 8 R.M., and now hearing 1 marine KIA in Basra Semper Fi.

3BadgeMarine
03-21-03, 07:52 AM
Of the 12 Marines who went down with the CH-46 eight were Royal Marines of 42 Royal Marine Commando who are based at Bickliegh barracks near Plymouth Devon.Our condolences go out to the families of all 12 Marines.and in the words of the old Commando epitaph.

TAKE THESE MEN FOR YOUR EXAMPLE.LIKE THEM, REMEMBER THAT PROSPERITY CAN BE ONLY FOR THE FREE,THAT FREEDOM IS THE SURE POSSESSION OF THOSE ALONE WHO HAVE THE COURAGE TO DEFEND IT

MillRatUSMC
03-21-03, 08:21 AM
We will pray for all our "brothers" and fellow Marines, who have gone on to guard heaven's gates.

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

I also agree that a delay of this sad news could have awaited notification to the families of our brothers.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

thedrifter
03-21-03, 11:20 AM
Mar 21, 11:45 AM EST

Ill. Marine ID'd As Casualty in Kuwait

By MEGAN REICHGOTT
Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP) -- A Marine pilot from Illinois was one of four U.S. Marines killed in a helicopter crash Friday in Kuwait, his family said.

Capt. Ryan Beaupre, 30, of St. Anne, was the pilot of the CH-46 helicopter that crashed, according to his sister Alyse. She said the family was notified early Friday morning.

A Marine Corps delegation came to the family's home with the news, said the Rev. Ron Murphy of the First Baptist Church of St. Anne. The crash of the helicopter, assigned to the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, claimed the lives of eight British Marines as well as the four Americans.

"We're a small community of 1,300. What happens to one family happens to all of us," Murphy said. "The whole community knew Ryan, one of our finest."

Marine officials in Illinois and at Camp Pendleton, Calif., where Beaupre was based, could not immediately confirm that he was one of those killed.

The helicopter crashed Friday morning in Kuwait - Thursday evening here - about 9 miles away from the border with Iraq, military officials said. The cause of the crash was under investigation, the officials said, adding that hostile fire had not been reported in the area.

Alyse Beaupre, 31, said her brother was a graduate of Bishop McNamara High School and Illinois Wesleyan University. Their parents, Mark and Nicky Beaupre, also have two other children, Kari Leisure, 28, and Christopher, 22.

The captain was a member of the Roman Catholic church in St. Anne's, where a Mass was said for him Friday morning, Murphy said. Residents also went to the family's home this morning to offer comfort.

St. Anne is about 60 miles south of Chicago.

Sempers,

Roger

Rob Parry
03-21-03, 02:30 PM
As with the USMC we have a deep pride in and for the guys serving in our Corp today. They took over the mantle, and are discharging their duties in the best traditions of the Corp. As a family we are all saddened by the loss of eight comrades, our thoughts are with their families. They may be fortified by the following, which I posted on the Royal Marines Commando forum.

The CO of 40 Commando spoke to his men before battle, he told them "The eyes of the World will be on YOU tomorrow, you will be the first troops across the border."
This simple statement must have instilled as much pride in them as it did in me. We may be justifiably proud of those who followed us, they are maintaining the traditions of our Corp, and doing so magnificently.

thedrifter
03-21-03, 05:59 PM
NEWS RELEASE from the United States Department of Defense

No. 135-03
(703)697-5131(media)
IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 21, 2003
(703)428-0711(public/industry)

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE INDENTIFIES MARINES KILLED IN CH-46 CRASH
The Department of Defense announced today the identities of four
U.S. Marines killed in a CH-46E helicopter crash on March 20 in
Kuwait. Killed were:

Maj. Jay Thomas Aubin, 36, of Waterville, Maine

Capt. Ryan Anthony Beaupre, 30, of Bloomington, Ill.

Cpl. Brian Matthew Kennedy, 25, of Houston, Texas

Staff Sgt. Kendall Damon Watersbey, 29, of Baltimore, Md.

Aubin was assigned to the Marine Aviation Weapons and Tactics
Squadron - 1, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, Marine Corps Air Station
Yuma, Ariz. Beaupre, Kennedy and Watersbey were assigned to the
Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron - 268, 3d Marine Aircraft
Wing, Marine Corps Air Station Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Sempers,

Roger