PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines back in the fight

thedrifter
07-14-07, 06:11 AM
2nd Battalion, 9th Marines back in the fight

BY CHRISSY VICK
July 13, 2007 - 11:13PM
DAILY NEWS STAFF

After just three years in existence, the Anti-Terrorism Battalion was deactivated Friday morning to make way for growth in the Marine Corps.

In its stead, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines was reactivated as the Corps’ newest infantry battalion. With a history described best by the battalion’s nickname “Hell in a Helmet,” 2/9’s new commander, Lt. Col. Thad R. Trapp, said they aim to carry on the legacy.

“This is a day we resurrect a battalion with a very esteemed history,” Trapp said during Friday’s ceremony at W.P.T. Hill Field. “(To the former Marines of 2/9) I promise you we will uphold that honor.”

More than 700 Marines make up the unit, reactivated as a part of the commandant’s long-range plan to increase the Corps’ end-strength to 202,000 Marines by 2011. It was the second 9th Marines battalion to reactivate this year.

“I’m absolutely excited about this challenge,” Trapp said. “The challenge is the same as any other battalion — less resources and time than you’d like to prepare Marines for a deployment to a humanitarian crisis or to fight the War on Terror. But I know the Marines are always up to the challenge.”

The battalion, which falls under 6th Marine Regiment, is expected to deploy sometime, though Trapp said no date has been set. Troops with AT Battalion participated in numerous deployments to Iraq — about 350 Marines with the unit are still serving in Iraq now, Trapp said.

The AT Battalion was activated Oct. 29, 2004, under the 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade, which was deactivated in February 2006 on the same day Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command stood up.

AT Battalion’s mission was to “rapidly deploy specially trained and sustainable forces to detect, deter, and defend against terrorism, as well as to conduct crisis response in the event of a terrorist attack,” according to the AT Battalion Web site.

“This is not a sad day for AT Battalion,” said Lt. Col. Richard C. Jackson II, the unit’s commanding officer. “We need to have the foresight and flexibility to adapt to our circumstances. AT Battalion did that and we needed to adapt to our needs today.”

The continuity lies with the Marines themselves who will continue to do their jobs with excellence, he said.

“I think people will respect what AT Battalion has done today,” he said.
Marines trained in intelligence, counter-intelligence, engineering and nuclear, biological and chemical teams will be reassigned to their parent commands as 2/9 makes room for infantry troops. AT Battalion also included troops with a specialty in explosive ordnance disposal, military working dogs, linguists and electronic warfare assets, according to their Web site.

“Marines with AT Battalion are specially trained, so they won’t easily transition to infantry,” Trapp said.

His father, retired Lt. Col. Dick Trapp, a former 2/9 Marine who served in Vietnam, said he knows the battalion is in good hands.

“It will be taken care of,” he said. “I feel pride that he is taking this command.”
Retired Master Gunnery Sgt. Ed Fritts, formerly of 2/9, said it was an honor to be a part of Friday’s reactivation.

“I’ve got great memories of comradeship and the people I served with, the things we’ve done,” said Fritts, part of 2/9’s flame thrower platoon. “It’s part of the honor, integrity and courage the Marines have with them. I see it today.”

Former 2/9 Marine Jim Hostetler agreed.

“It means a lot to me to be here today,” said Hostetler, who deployed with the unit during Vietnam. “The 9th Marines is a big heritage — a lot of history. We were hell to deal with — that’s all. We didn’t stop for anything.”

Ellie

thedrifter
07-14-07, 01:48 PM
Historic 2/9 reactivated as Corps expands
By Trista Talton - Staff writer
Posted : Saturday Jul 14, 2007 9:56:16 EDT

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/xml/news/2007/07/marine_battalion_070714w/mt_29marines_800_070713_287.jpg

Randy Davey
Marine Lt. Col. Thad R. Trapp, the new commanding officer of 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines, speaks to the crowd July 13 after the reactivation ceremony of 2/9 at Camp Lejeune.

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — The Marine Corps’ great expansion during World War I gave birth to 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines.

Ninety years later, the Corps is expanding again — and 2/9 has been reborn. The battalion, first activated in October 1917 in Quantico, Va., was reactivated in a ceremony here July 13. The resurrection of 2/9 meant the end of the road for the Corps’ Anti-Terrorism Battalion, whose more than 700 Marines and sailors were transferred to 2/9.

“This is not a standard change of command,” AT Battalion commander Lt. Col. Richard Jackson said. “It’s not a sad day for Anti-Terrorism Battalion. Now, it’s time to transition to the ... needs of today. I think as the years go by, people will really come to appreciate ... the significant contributions the Anti-Terrorism Battalion has made.”

The AT Battalion was activated in October 2004 as a rapidly deploying force to fight terrorism.

A little more than half of the Marines and sailors in the former battalion are deployed. Those with military occupational specialties that aren’t typical for an infantry battalion will be transferred to other units, 2/9 commander Lt. Col. Thad Trapp said.

The reactivation of 2/9 is part of the Corps’ plan to expand by 22,000 Marines, bringing the end strength to 202,000 by 2011. In April, 1st Battalion, 9th Marines reactivated and, next year, 3rd Battalion, 9th Marines, will reactivate.

Each battalion falls under existing regimental headquarters: 1/9 in 8th Marines, 2/9 in 6th Marines and 3/9 likely in 2nd Marines. The Corps does not plan to form a 9th Marines regimental headquarters.

A small crowd of Marines, sailors, their families and former members of 2/9 attended the ceremony, where the AT Battalion’s flag was neatly wrapped for retirement and 2/9’s colors unfurled.

Second Battalion, 9th Marines, is one of the Corps’ most combat-decorated battalions and one of the first to land in Vietnam. The battalion participated in the battles for Bougainville, the Northern Solomons, Guam and Iwo Jima during World War II. During the invasion of Guam, 50 percent of the battalion’s members were casualties.

The unit was in Vietnam from July 1965 through August 1969, fighting in such places as Da Nang, Cua Viet, Than Cam Son and Hue. The battalion was deactivated in September 1994.

“I want to promise you that I will uphold this legacy and the Marines will not let you down,” Trapp said to former battalion members.

He joked that he’ll have his own father, Dick Trapp, looking over his shoulder to make sure he does a good job commanding the battalion. Dick Trapp was a mortar platoon commander in 2/9 during Vietnam.

Lt. Col. Trapp said it’s an honor to command any battalion, but commanding a unit his father once served in makes his job particularly special to him. He said he does not know when the battalion will deploy.

Patrick Pearce was in 2/9 during Vietnam from November 1966 through November 1967. He made the quick drive from a town west of Lejeune to attend the ceremony.

“The 2/9 is the finest battalion in the Marine Corps,” he said. “This brought me to tears. I’m enthusiastic. I’d like to re-enlist, but I can’t.”

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/xml/news/2007/07/marine_battalion_070714w/mt_29marines2_800_070713_287.jpg

Randy Davey
Marine Sgt. Maj. Jose L. Santiago and Marine Lt. Col. Richard C. Jackson case the colors of Anti-Terrorism Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, before the reactivation ceremony of 2/9.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/xml/news/2007/07/marine_battalion_070714w/mt_29marines3_800_070713_287.jpg

Randy Davey
Patrick Pearce, who was with the Marines of 2/9 in Vietnam and retired as a captain, talks about watching the ceremony of 2/9 standing back up.