PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about the PFT "moneymaker"

MaltedMule
07-13-07, 03:05 AM
Greetings all, I apologize if this has been answered before but using the search feature didn't turn up any relevant posts besides other poolees personal accomplishments. Pull ups are the "moneymakers" of the PFT, or IST in my case since I'm not exactly chasing promotions yet, and I could would love some training tips. I'm one of those tall lanky types, I'll do crunches all day with ease and be grinning at the end of a 50 mile hike, but those dang pull ups are tough heh. I do push ups and a bit of work with weights, wondering if anyone had any tips. I feel like the darned physics of my build are working against me. Any info would be much appreciated, my recruiters mean well, but they're all built like NFL RBs so it comes easy I guess. Thanks in advance.

Chumley
07-13-07, 07:01 AM
MaltedMule,

There is no secret here. While you may be able to improve your technique - I can't help without watching, so ask your recruiter for constructive criticism - the bottom line is good technique or not, you've got to work on your weaknesses much harder. Sorry for the boring advice. Best I can say is to do 75% of your max reps, but do multiple sets. Problem: When you max out on one set, you don't have much left for another set. If your max is 10, do 7, get off the bar, do other exercises, go back 2-3 more times and keep getting that 75%. Next time you go for broke, you should see the benefits. Cross training is also huge. You may not think push-ups effect pull-ups, but overall performance comes from a variety of strengths. Focus hard on the PFT skils, but maintain a variety of other exercises too, and lots of them. Alternate different muscle groups every other day for best results. PAIN is weakness leaving the body!!! Ooorah!

Chumley

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-13-07, 01:36 PM
The tall skinny people always had an easier time than more bulky guys- less weight to pull up. That said, you do more pull ups by doing pull ups. Do Recon Ron or Armstrong and you'll be fine.

MaltedMule
07-24-07, 03:16 AM
No advice is boring advice, and thanks, I'll just keep plugging away at it. Just wanted to know if there were any secrets, hehe

Regards

yellowwing
07-24-07, 03:44 AM
Swimming. Lots of swimming. Using your arms to pull yourself through the water will add pull ups on dry land.

Sgt D
07-24-07, 05:23 AM
Do one max set a day. If you have a partner to help always do a max set +2. Every other day, do a pyramid. Start with a 4 pull-up pyramid. (Do 4 rest 2-3 min, 10 push-ups. Do 3 rest 2-3 min, 10 push-ups. Do 2 rest 2-3 min, 10 push-ups. Do 1 rest 2-3 min, 10 push-ups. Then the same in reverse to 4. After that feels easy move up to a 5 pull-up pyramid. This should move you up pretty quick. Also, always do the max set before the pyramid.