PDA

View Full Version : Seabees recall World War II stories

thedrifter
07-12-07, 02:20 PM
Seabees recall World War II stories

By Scott Bandle
Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:04 PM CDT

Bridgeton resident Edward Boenker caught up with some old friends on Saturday, sharing stories of runways, roads and docks built under combat conditions during World War II.

The men, members of the U.S. Navy 71st Seabees, gathered for their 58th annual reunion, held this year on Boenker's farm.

"It's always good to see them," said Boenker, 86. "I've been to reunions in California, Las Vegas and North Carolina."

Each year, the group's numbers shrink. When the group first met in 1949, about 800 showed up. Twelve made it to Saturday's reunion.

Bridgeton Mayor Conrad Bowers and Ward 4 Councilwoman Barb Abram presented a proclamation honoring the men.

About 100 other people participated, including the Seabees and their families.

The veterans wore baseball hats with
"71st Seabees" printed on the front. Many of the other participants wore sailor hats.

During the war, these veterans saw a lot of action in the South Pacific, from Guadalcanal, to Bougainville, to Okinawa. Some friends were killed in action.

Mostly, they just did their jobs.

"I was in transportation," Boenker said. "I drove trucks and helped build landing strips."

The Seabees landed two or three days behind the Marines after initial invasions. They immediately went to work, sometimes ducking incoming shellfire during construction.

"I got a Purple Heart," said Lloyd Barfield, 83, of Graceville, Fla. "I caught a piece of shrapnel in my leg. It wasn't serious, but it hurt."

As a rule, the Marines were friendly to the Seabees, especially since the Seabees often had better supplies and food, said Joe Horcher, 83, who lives near Rockford, Ill.

"The one thing the Seabees were known for was scrounging," he said.

The Seabees appreciated the Marines for a basic reason, Barfield said.

"They protected us," he said. "We had to get along with them."

The men joined the Seabees as volunteers or draftees. Many had experience in construction. Boenker graduated with a degree from Rankin Technical College.

Bill Sherman, 81, grew up in New York City. He volunteered for the Seabees after reading about them in Popular Mechanics magazine.

"During the war, I was kind of a jack-of-all-trades," Sherman said. "I was a knock-around kid in New York. I knew a lot about everything, but not a lot about just one thing."

Horcher, 83, admitted that he joined the Navy so he "could avoid the Army draft."

They all share a common pride, both as Seabees and for the work they did.

"On Okinawa, we built a 6,500-foot runway in 30 days," Horcher said. "After the war, the United States and now the Japanese still use many of the facilities built by the Seabees."

Many of the men stayed in construction after the war.

Boenker had the farm, which has been in his family for six generations. After working on the farm and other jobs, he opened his own business.

"In 1950, we started to run our auto repair shop," he said.

Barfield plans on attending future reunions. So do other Seabee veterans.

"I hope that I'm one of the last two Seabees who show up at our reunions," Barfield said. "There aren't many of us left."

Reach Scott Bandle at sbandle@yourjournal.com.

Ellie