PDA

View Full Version : Senator proposes extending R&R to 20 days

thedrifter
07-12-07, 07:41 AM
Senator proposes extending R&R to 20 days
The Associated Press
Posted : Thursday Jul 12, 2007 6:18:11 EDT

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — American troops will have more leave time if Sen. Mark Pryor gets his way.

Pryor, D-Ark., is proposing an increase in leave time from 15 to 20 days after Army deployments were recently extended from 12 months to a maximum of 15 months.

“They moved from 12 months to 15 months, but they didn’t change their [rest and recuperation] time — they kept that at 15 days,” Pryor said on a conference call Wednesday. “I think that’s not fair, so I have an amendment to extend that to 20 days.”

Pryor’s amendment is to the defense authorization bill currently being debated.

“It’s a matter that has a lot to do with the quality of life for our soldiers. ... I’m concerned about our recruiting numbers and our retention numbers,” Pryor said. “The 15-month tours that we’re scheduled for in Iraq now is the longest deployment of anyone since World War II. ... These five additional days we think will help.”

Pryor has also been involved in a bipartisan effort to make recommendations from the Iraq Study Group official U.S. policy. And on Wednesday, Pryor touted his work on behalf of veterans.

“I also have the Vet Act, which is a bill that would ensure that there be adequate training for our veterans who are looking for work,” he said.

Pryor is attempting to ensure that injured veterans aren’t “lost in the [Veterans Affairs] system.”

“We still get some problems in my office with people complaining or concerned about some treatment they’re receiving at the VA, so we drafted legislation to try to make sure that they have a process there where it’s easily understandable, it’s easy for them to go through the VA system and not somehow get lost in the shuffle,” Pryor said.

Ellie