PDA

View Full Version : S.A. recruits go through Marine boot camp

thedrifter
07-11-07, 12:40 PM
S.A. recruits go through Marine boot camp

Web Posted: 07/11/2007 01:35 AM CDT

Jessica Silva
KENS 5 Eyewitness News

The United States is at war. With no real end in sight, the military is struggling to recruit young men and women to join their ranks.

Yet thousands — including many from the San Antonio area — are willing to sign up to join the Marines.

For five days, KENS 5 went behind the scenes to look at the Marine Corps' rigorous boot camp in San Diego, Calif., through the eyes of some young high school graduates from San Antonio training to be in the elite group.

In the late hours of the night, bus loads of young men are about to have their lives changed forever. A drill instructor's bark is a loud, clear reminder the recruits aren't at home anymore — they have officially entered the world of Marine boot camp.

However, before they stepped onto those infamous yellow footprints, two San Antonio recruits shared their thoughts minutes after arriving in San Diego.

"The challenge of receiving this title of the Marine is something that not many people can do. It's an elite group, and I really want to be a part of it," Marine recruit George Aldana said.

"(The) pictures on TV, how they're portrayed has really gotten to me," Marine recruit Joshua Esparza said.

But nothing could prepare these recent South San graduates for the stress and controlled chaos they would endure in the first hours of training.

"It's kind of a family thing. All my family's been in the military, and I just thought I'd keep the tradition," Aldana said.

"All moms, they don't want their son to join the military, so my mom was like, 'No, you're not gonna do it, you're not gonna do it,' but she agreed with me, and my dad agreed with me later on, 'cause it's what I wanted to do," Esparza said.

"We understand that there's parents back home that send us their kids, and we are going to take care of them, but we're going to make sure they get well trained," drill instructor Staff Sgt. Dekar Noaa said.

However, comfort is far from what recruits feel their very first night. Although KENS 5 wasn't allowed to talk to Aldana or Esparza after the process started, the looks on their faces said it all.

One week of processing, plus the next four weeks make up the first phase of boot camp, and the physical demands are intense.

"The whole molding of a Marine is happening, and it takes a lot of time and effort," drill instructor Staff Sgt. Celestino Casias said.

Recruits run for miles, learn martial arts, train with a bayonet, and run some more.

It's easy to spot the recruits who are ready to give up, only to have their drill instructors push harder.

"That's when we mentor them, that's when we guide them, we make them understand its not a zero-defect mentality," Casias said.

Private Michael Reta said he didn't think he'd make it through boot camp.

"I wanted to go home the first week," he said.

Reta, a graduate of John F. Kennedy High School, clearly remembers his struggle. But now, in his last week of training, he says joining the Marines is the best decision he's ever made.

"I was very undisciplined. I was always getting into trouble back home, not listening,” Reta said. “Now, joining the Marine Corps, now I have a lot more discipline, and a lot more respect for other people.”

It's a journey recruits like Aldana and Esparza have only just begun.

On Wednesday night, KENS 5 will feature the stories of more local recruits who are about to graduate from boot camp, and how they feel about deployment overseas.

Ellie