PDA

View Full Version : Martyn has one last chance with pigskin before going to Marines

thedrifter
07-10-07, 02:47 PM
Published: July 10, 2007 12:00 am

Honor to serve: Martyn has one last chance with pigskin before going to Marines
By Sean Sweeney , Correspondent
Gloucester Daily Times

Manchester Essex football coach Mike Athanas first realized last summer that Paul Martyn did not have college in his plans.

Martyn had succeeded in manning a number of positions for Athanas and could have continued playing football in college.

But he wanted to be a Marine.

"He started talking about it to me last summer," Athanas said. "I admit that I didn't take him very seriously at first."

When a recruiter came to talk to Martyn, he spent time outlining what would be expected out of him through a series of recruitment videos.

But, for Manchester Essex's Martyn, a Gloucester native, the Marines didn't need an introduction. He was always attracted.

"This has always been a goal of mine ever since I was little," the 5-foot-10 Martyn said. "Growing up, I've become even more willing to do this because I really wanted the experience. Serving my country would be a great honor."

Martyn, along with Gloucester High School products Bryan Sanborn and Mike Burbine, will conclude their football career playing in the 47th annual Agganis Football All-Star Classic (Bertram Field, Salem, Thursday 7 p.m.).

"I've been practicing all week, and I am so excited," Martyn said. "I'll do whatever they want me to do. I just want to play as hard as I can one more time."

Looking back, Athanas said he knew all along Martyn only needed slight grooming to reach this point. Speed and agility - Martyn was born with them in abundance, he said.

"Even though he wasn't big or strong, I knew right away," Athanas said. "You could just tell watching him that he had it from the beginning. His athleticism was just natural."

One of Martyn's best friends, Wally Bruce, goes as far back as Pop Warner with Martyn and did not hesitate to call his teammate "quick and shifty."

Despite his physical gifts, Martyn didn't play much of a role on the Manchester Essex football team his first two years. But he dedicated himself during the summer between his sophomore and junior seasons and soon he had developed into a multidimensional weapon.

After a year and a half as the Hornets' starting quarterback, Athanas didn't want to shelter his leader's talent anymore. It was bursting, craving to be exposed.

"He wanted to do whatever he could to help the team win," Athanas said. "Not many senior captains can move to a different position and do it without complaining. Martyn dealt with it perfectly."

Running back. Wide receiver. Cornerback. Linebacker. He even punted. Athanas recalled a meeting with Pope John where Martyn took the game over with three rushing touchdowns. He also talked of a game against Chelsea and a phenomenal performance by Martyn included passing, rushing and receiving touchdowns.

After recent years of disappointment that included a 17-game losing streak, Martyn helped deliver a 7-3 record in his senior season, a Commonwealth Small Conference championship and an EMass. 3A postseason berth.

The brotherhood of the Marines was much more enticing to Martyn than college. Intense mental training is something that college just can't provide for him. Bruce feels his friend could've done great in college, but believes that Martyn won't be satisfied in a classroom; he needs to experience more.

Not only are the Marines an unrelenting challenge for Martyn, but he sees it as the chance to propel himself toward his aim in life of getting into criminal justice.

"It's a better education for me," Martyn said. "It was always in the back of my mind to do this, and all of my family and friends are backing me up on my decision. The leadership qualities I will gain here will help me accomplish my goals."

The once-backup plan is now obvious, and Martyn believes he will smash right into boot camp in the fall, bullying his way to the top of the training standings.

"Martyn took a leadership role with us, and he will do the same thing at the Marines," Athanas said. "It is not an easy thing to sign up for this, but he is very confident in his decision, and I think he will do great."

Martyn said football is more than a game to him and that sports have always been his number one passion. The Agganis All-Star Classic will be his final opportunity to play a game he has played since Pop Warner.

"I have no regrets about my football career," Martyn said. "But, it will always be in the back of my mind that football is over. It was a big decision to go to the Marines, but I'm positive that it will push me further."

Ellie