PDA

View Full Version : Making friends in Senegal as a vital tactic in war on terror

thedrifter
07-09-07, 10:27 AM
Making friends in Senegal as a vital tactic in war on terror

Jessica DeJesus
Guest essayist

(July 9, 2007) — When people think of the "war on terror," they think of the U.S. military using bullets and heavy artillery to fight in Iraq or Afghanistan. Many people forget that the war on terror also involves building civil and military relationships with developing nations in order to achieve peace.

As a captain in the Marine Corps Reserve, I am supporting the war on terror by working in Thailand and Senegal.

In the yearly multinational military exercise "Cobra Gold" in Thailand, we worked with Thai, Japanese, Singaporean and Indonesian military units that have a great deal of experience not only in combat but in disaster relief.

Aside from multinational military maneuvers, the U.S. military engaged in humanitarian projects — building schools and hospitals, and providing preventive medicine to remote areas throughout Thailand.

I've been fortunate to have participated in this exercise twice, the first time in 2003. I've had the unique privilege to live in a Royal Thai Base, have dinner with Thai officers and learn more about the Thai culture — and I realized that there are so many things that we share culturally. Thailand, just like America, has many ethnic and religious groups that aim to coexist in peace.

After working for a month in Thailand, I arrived in Senegal to participate in the exercise "Shared Accord." This is also a yearly exercise that takes place throughout western Africa. Most of my military experience has taken place either in Asia or the Middle East, so I welcomed this experience.

I arrived in the middle of the night in Dakar, the capital of Senegal, to the sounds of drums — similar to the ones I listened to as a child growing up in Guayama, Puerto Rico. And I automatically felt a great sense of belonging in Senegal.

I worked with the 2nd Battalion, 25th Marines, a unit based out of Garden City and Albany, along with a team of Air Force medical professionals and an Army civil affairs team.

I was attached as a French interpreter to an Army civil affairs team providing veterinary assistance to the villages near the city of Lingure, in central Senegal. This area is extremely hot, with average temperatures of 120 degrees and little or no rainfall. The villages are mostly nomadic due to the fact that the people have to search for water.

Our team dewormed and provided preventive medicine to more than 17,000 animals in the course of nine days. The days were long and the heat was at times unbearable, but the experience with the local populace was extraordinary.

As an interpreter, I had the opportunity to speak to the local and military population. Our team was welcomed into the villages of central Senegal with open arms and it was great to interact with the villagers and help them with their cattle, since that is their main economical and nutritional source.

I also interacted with the Senegalese military. These men have participated in peacekeeping operations throughout Africa, including the Congo and Sudan, and are considered one of Africa's best militaries.

The Marines and the Senegalese soldiers shared food, and traded war stories and military memorabilia such as T-shirts. Many of the officers we worked with invited us to their homes. Their hospitality was great.

Many people do not know that Senegal is 90 percent Muslim. Their culture comprises of many ethnic groups and they speak several languages. What makes this country special is that they welcome diversity without straying from their religion or culture. There is a terrible misconception about Islam. Here I was, as an American woman officer breaking bread with the Senegalese officers.

I strongly believe that as Americans we need to believe that we can all coexist in peace. The best way to do so is to see how our global brothers and sisters live and what they are doing to make this world a better place.

DeJesus, who is from Rochester, is a captain assigned to Marine Forces Europe.

Ellie