PDA

View Full Version : Books: ‘My Men Are My Heroes: The Brad Kasal Story’

thedrifter
07-09-07, 07:57 AM
Books: ‘My Men Are My Heroes: The Brad Kasal Story’
Combat hero’s story is about his troops
By J. Ford Huffman - Special to the Times
Posted : July 16, 2007

In small type at the beginning of “My Men Are My Heroes: The Brad Kasal Story,” author Nathaniel R. Helms offers a clue about what to expect in the pages ahead:

“I would like to thank Sgt. Major (Brad) Kasal for his patience, forbearance, and honesty. By nature he is a very humble man. It was necessary to remind him almost daily the book was about him; otherwise he might never have mentioned his own role in anything.”

What is Helms saying about his story of this Marine who personified courage, whose name is said with respect and reverence 3� years after a battle (and a powerful image by photojournalist Lucian Read) that made him famous?

His acknowledgment is a heads-up that the book is not a biography. If you want to learn what is inside Kasal’s heart and mind, you will have to wait for the Iowan to write his own version of “The Brad Kasal Story.”

But if you want a narrative that provides clear details about what happened the day Kasal chose death not once but twice to protect other Marines, Helms’ work is a fine addition to the literature of combat in Iraq.

Helms’ interviews with Kasal and other Marines capture the smoke and sweat.

As Kasal says, “War is hell and combat is a motherf---er.”

On Nov. 13, 2004, during the second battle for Fallujah, then-1st Sgt. Kasal’s team attempted to rescue other Marines and ended up wounded and trapped themselves.

At the end of the day, Kasal had lived what he said about leadership, which is “not about ego. It’s about taking men into battle and keeping them alive.” In the process, he nearly lost his life.

“He lost about 4 inches of bone in his tibia ... Doctors eventually determined that Kasal had seven gunshot wounds and 44 shrapnel wounds.” Talk about shock and awe: The color photograph of the bloody hole in his leg is compelling among the dozens of images in an impressive 32 pages of pictures.

How could that leg and that man become whole again? Like his career, Kasal’s recovery was exemplary, and he offers advice for those dealing with catastrophic injury:

“One, don’t be afraid to ask for help because there are a lot of people out there who want to help.

“Two, don’t be afraid to talk about what you are thinking and doing because depression is going to set in no matter how strong you are. ... Don’t think you are abnormal for that; talk to somebody.

“Three, listen to what the doctors tell you, but know that it is all on you also. You are going to succeed or fail based on your own willpower.”

Inspiring words from Kasal, who was awarded the Navy Cross.

Readers will assume the Medal of Honor is next.

J. Ford Huffman writes for USA Today.

My Men Are My Heroes: The Brad Kasal Story. By Nathaniel R. Helms. Meredith Books. 287 pages. $24.95.

Ellie