PDA

View Full Version : Combat veteran frustrated over lack of immediate help

thedrifter
07-09-07, 06:14 AM
Combat veteran frustrated over lack of immediate help
By Marisa Yamane

Post traumatic stress disorder is a problem many soldiers, sailors and marines suffer from after coming home from war.

The bigger problem, according to a Kaneohe marine and a national report, is the lack of immediate help.

The marine and his mother agreed to do an interview with us because they say they want to expose the problem, and are hoping the problem will soon get fixed.

"He thinks he feels hopeless, I as a mother, totally hopeless," said Darlene, the marine's mother.

Darlene recently came from the mainland to help her son, a marine stationed at Kaneohe Bay.

"When he finally did ask for me to come over I knew it was bad," said Darlene.

Her son, who did not want to be identified, was in Iraq for eight months last year, fighting on the front lines.

"You see buddies die, you yourself you're fighting for your life every day, get shot at," said the marine.

He says he now suffers from post traumatic stress disorder.

"I've had trouble sleeping, once you get to sleep recurring dreams, eating, don't have the appetite usually. My life has been a living hell since I've been back," said the marine.

It's a problem he has suppressed for many months now.

"There's only so much everyone can take and I think everyone has got their breaking point and I hit mine," said the marine.

And just when he's finally ready to get help, he was told there's a three to four week waiting list to see military counselors because they're short staffed.

"It's ridiculous, what's everybody supposed to do they're obviously not prepared and there's a lot of people coming back with these problems, some more severe than others, and I'm one of those I can't wait three or four weeks. I need the help now," said the marine.

"It just breaks our heart because you want to fix it and you can't and then you think there's help for them," said Darlene.

This problem is not only happening here, but all over the nation, according to a report released last month by the Department of Defense's Mental Health Task Force.

The report points to problems such as not enough mental health professionals to assist, and a lack of money, resources and personnel.

"It's just frustrating to see that there's not help like you thought," said Darlene.

The Task Force has given the Department of Defense six months to develop a corrective action plan.

Local military officials from Marine Corps Base Hawaii and the Navy weren't available for comment.

Story Updated: Jul 8, 2007 at 7:22 PM HDT

Ellie