PDA

View Full Version : Advice please!

jscott4303
07-08-07, 10:04 PM
I'm in awe of all you Marines and I feel like I'm intruding but I'm going to take my chances and ask anyway. My son is currently in PI getting ready for BWT and the Crucible. Would you please tell me what is the main factor that separates the men that make it vs. the men that fail? I would like to send some encouragement and advice to my son but not quite sure of what to say. I'd like to give him some fatherly advice (his father is no longer living) rather than motherly advice - know what I mean?

Thank you!

This Recruit's Mother
(also Proud Daughter of US Special Forces WWII, Korea, & Viet Nam Vet (3 tours)

greensideout
07-08-07, 10:34 PM
Simple, Tell him that he is on his own now and what he becomes is up to him. You expect great things because you believe in what he can do and become!

jscott4303
07-09-07, 01:14 AM
Thank you for the advice - graduation date (August 31st) is just around the corner!

sparkie
07-09-07, 11:42 AM
Marine Corps boot teaches one important character trait.

When you get your face knocked into the dirt, you get up. Not for your own sake, but for your buddies. The're counting on you. they would do it for you.
It's a transition that is seldom taught in civilian life. Marine training teaches it well.
You can tell your son you are proud of what he has become, cause believe me, he'll never be the same.
:iwo:

Cash2053
07-09-07, 05:21 PM
Honestly, I doubt he needs that much encouragement if he has made it that far. Im sure he is starting to get pretty motivated on his own at this point. But anything does help, just write him often. Don't worry, if he is in 3rd phase nothing anyone can say or do will keep him from earning the title. I bet it is hot there right now.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-09-07, 06:22 PM
Nice and hot. "Motivating hot" is what Senior Drill Instructor SSgt Camp told us. (PI 13 Aug 1982).

He'll make it, and do fine. Keep those letters comin. Tell him, rightfully so, you are proud of him, and you'll be even prouder when you see him as a MARINE on graduation day.

chili77bowl
07-09-07, 09:28 PM
Hmm, i can tell you that prayer works wonders.

God can do anything, just leave the motivating to him and your son will be just fine.:cool:

Haffner
07-09-07, 10:13 PM
Remind him at the end of the Crucible is the warriors breakfast.

...never was breakfast so sweet! That was my motivation, the whole damn time. Haha. Seriously though.