PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Joining

skocher
07-09-07, 03:25 AM
I am currently in the Navy and asking myself the question of why I didnt sign for the Marines in the first place. It was my dream, but I let my family talk me out of it, and now I am floating around doing nothing when i should be pounding sand. I am doing everything i can think of to switch branches, and of course no one here is helping. I was just curious if anyone enlisted right now knows of any hidden forms that will get me out of here a little quicker. Also is there any workout programs I could use to get me into the top of my game. I want to drop about 20 pounds, increase my pullups and all that good stuff. I have two years left in my contract. Please get me the hell out of here, OOO RAH

Very Respectfully,
SN Shawn D. Kocher, USN

jetdoc
07-09-07, 08:19 AM
Shawn, pounding sand is what you're doing.

I would think that the Navy isn't going to be all the helpful in getting you into the Marines, I dunno. Do you not have career advisors in the Navy? I'd talk to a Marine recruiter on your options, if anyone would know it would be those guys. If you have two years left on your Navy contract I'm not sure how that would be handled.

You're a Seaman apprentice, or Seaman? I assume you're not on a "boat" right now are you?

I don't know what else to tell you. You may have to wait the 2 years if push comes to shove. Its not that long and the experience you gain in the Navy will help, trust me. I've spent time on the USS Midway and Niagra Falls, ship duty sucks man.

As for losing 20 lbs, workout....just workout. Don't eat late at night and practice doing pullups.

skocher
07-09-07, 06:08 PM
Your right they definetely dont me to join the Corps. There are advisors but they arent helping much either. I guess talking to a recruiter would be the best thing I could do. I dont know how you say I am pounding sand though. The two years left thing isnt that bad i will agree, plus i could always earlie out at my 3 yr 3 month mark and get an honorable for switching branches. That looks like my earliest way to go Corps. I am trying to look for a split tour option though. Two navy then sign the Marines. No I am a Seaman, E-3, I will be E-4 this December. I am on a boat right now, actually I am deployed at the moment. Hey if all else fails it gives me two years to become a better Marine.

Very Respectfully,
SN Shawn D. Kocher, USN

sparkie
07-09-07, 06:12 PM
Interisting. You know, the requirements for Marines signing up at Tunn Tavern?
Must first be able bodied seamen.

jetdoc
07-09-07, 08:20 PM
Thats right Sparkie, being in the Navy will only help him IMO.

Shawn, to me the term, "pounding sand" is like if I tell someone to "go pound sand"...do you know what I mean? I know what you were talking about in your post however.

So you guys can email and stuff on the boat? Wow, what will they think of next....if you have internet access can you email a recruiter to ask them for their advise?

The following link allows you to find a prior service recruiter in your area or to email for additonal information. There is some stuff on prior service.

http://www.marines.com/page/usmc.jsp?flashRedirect=true

skocher
07-10-07, 12:44 AM
Sparkie,
I know about Tun Tavern being the Birthplace of the Corps up in Philidelphia, but thats about it. i didnt know you first had to be an able body seamen though. You all got me wrong I think. It isnt that I hate the Navy, its just not for this guy. Its not where i want to be.

jetdoc
07-10-07, 06:32 AM
Listen man, I don't know WTF you're talking about...sparkie and I were just trying to help...neither of us said anything bad about the Navy. Sparkie was giving you some USMC history and the requirements "back in the day".

BTW, you're welcome for the link and last post I made...wow.

skocher
07-11-07, 09:55 AM
hey guys, i guess i stopped at the wrong spot, we went to GQ so i had to hurry up and leave and i hit the post button before i left. i know you guys are helping alot. i didnt mean that you guys said anything about the navy, its just not the place for me. i didnt mean anything by it at all. i was just stating to Sparkie that i knew about Tun Tavern but didnt know about the able body seamen thing. it was very interesting to me. i have been studying the history of the Corps for a while, it was just something that i didnt know. anyway, yes we have email and internet. i have emailed recruiters on USMC.com but i never got a response. i am going to try that link you sent me. i will let you know how it turns out. sorry for the misunderstanding.

sparkie
07-11-07, 10:08 AM
No harm, no foul... Carry on Sailor. Best wishes. But one piece of advise.... Never give up. You'll hate yourself in the morning.

jetdoc
07-11-07, 04:42 PM
No problem on this end either...glad it was just a misunderstanding. As you know the Navy and Marines history are pretty intertwined, and I find the history very interesting.

As Sparkie said, keep emailing, keep trying, you will find the answer you seek. Keep us updated. Maybe if you know someone on land that can help communicate with a USMC recruiter?

chili77bowl
07-11-07, 05:41 PM
and now I am floating around doing nothing when i should be pounding sand.

Pound Sand= a Politically correct Marine Corps way of saying "f*ck off"
ie: Dude, Pound Sand (up your a$$).

This Marine has tried to learn how to say it in every language of every country I have been to.

Other variations include:
Pack Sand
Pack it