PDA

View Full Version : When does someone earn the title Marine?

LCPLE3
07-08-07, 10:49 PM
I have been reading the threads in the open squad bay forum (Famous Marines: (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49541) and Marine recruit dies after four years in coma (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/fayette/stories/2007/07/08/0709metmarine.html)).I read that some believe that your not a Marine until you graduate from bootcamp.In the Famous Marines thread it was about Dan Rather not graduating from bootcamp so he's not a Marine.But what about this recruit (and others in the past)that died from injuries during recruit training?Are they not Marines?

davblay
07-08-07, 10:54 PM
L/Cpl we have to look at the facts in each case. If the recruit would have completed Boot Camp, had it not occured, then yes he can be considered a Marine, in my book. Dan Rather did not complete it and he is still alive, sooooo!

3077India
07-08-07, 10:56 PM
I may be wrong for saying this, but I feel that those who die during basic should, at the very least, be granted the title Honorary United States Marine.

LCPLE3
07-08-07, 11:13 PM
What about Marines before Parris Island?Those guys that signed up at Tun Tavern did not graduate.

RON 68
07-08-07, 11:28 PM
everybody who makes it through boot and graduate's is a Marine. at Tun Tavern, just drunken Marine's. RON 68

LCPLE3
07-08-07, 11:37 PM
everybody who makes it through boot and graduate's is a Marine. at Tun Tavern, just drunken Marine's. RON 68

Have to agree with you on Marines from Tun Tavern.:D

But this kid that died from injuries from boot training is a Marine IMHO and should be honored as such!

davblay
07-09-07, 10:45 AM
No one is debating that fact, L/Cpl, as a matter of fact you seem to have only support for your statement! What exactly are you saying or looking for here?

LCPLE3
07-09-07, 12:24 PM
That most Marines today believe that your only a Marine if you graduated from boot camp (Parris Island or San Diego).I'm trying to point out that there are exceptions to this.I feel that most Marines...

yanacek
07-09-07, 01:09 PM
Completion of boot camp is not necessarily required for someone to have earned the title Marine.

Following World War II, civilians could enlist directly into the Marine Corps Reserve without going to boot camp. These young men were trained at local reserve units by World War II veterans. After a specified number of hours of training, they we deemed "Marines." When Korea broke out in August 1950, many of these young men went directly overseas as part of the 1stMarDiv. They saw fighting at Inchon and at Chosin Reservoir.

As far as bandsmen, all go to boot camp except those selected for the "President's Own." Those in the "President's Own" are appointed to the grade of Staff Sergeant and are given orders directly to 8th & I. There, they receive instruction on being a member of the U.S. Marine Corps Band. Are these folks Marines? The Commandant considers them Marines and that's good enough for me.

Corpsmen--As much as I appreciate them, they are not Marines in my opinion.

Namvet67
07-09-07, 02:43 PM
I agree with Yanacek! There are several threads on other web sites about his very subject and it has been discussed in detail by many combat Marines that never set foot in boot camp. I wouldn't...

Sgt Leprechaun
07-09-07, 02:58 PM
Correct by both esteemed SNCO's. In the days prior to Recruit Training as we know it today, the standards were different. Applying todays standards to historical Marines would be wrong on several different levels.

jetdoc
07-09-07, 08:33 PM
When we were down in PI last month we saw some bldg had the Marine Corps band on the side..something like that. I didn't pay much attention to it to be honest with you.

sgt tony
07-10-07, 12:41 AM
When the Marine Corps says you are a Marine then you have that title. If they died in boot camp and they were not going AWOL and they were giving there all then YES they are Marines. If you got out on a medical out of boot camp you are just a wanta be.

1LONGSHOT
07-11-07, 11:19 PM
As far as "Doc's " being Marines i say yes. They live ,eat, drink, sweat and Die with and for us. They may have U.S. NAVY on there cameo's but to me they have earned it. Thanks to all the Doc's out there. And Sgt Tony my wife got out on a medical not that she wanted it, and NO she isnt a wanta be.

maverickmarine
07-12-07, 10:04 AM
I have to say that I can't agree with being considered a Marine if you die in bootcamp. Whether you may or may not have completed bootcamp doesn't matter because you didn't. I understand that it is hardcorps for that to happen in bootcamp and you may think in honor of that "sacrifice", maybe they should be considered a Marine but the fact of the matter is that they did not graduate bootcamp, which is how you earn the title, so they are not Marines. Maybe they could've been or would've been but they are not.

I do feel our Docs deserve a great deal of respect and they do train with us side by side and go into combat with us side by side but still they did not graduate bootcamp so can't be considered Marines. I would put them as close as you can be without actually being one though.

Parabellum
07-12-07, 10:13 AM
Would you be considered a licensed driver if you died during your drivers exam? .........................no

You're a Marine when you complere boot camp.

Semper Fi

jinelson
07-12-07, 10:26 AM
by Parabllum - Would you be considered a licensed driver if you died during your drivers exam? .........................no

You're a Marine when you complere boot camp.

Semper Fi

You may want to read this thread and reconsider after you see what this recruits Drill Instructors said and did.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27739

Jim

Parabellum
07-12-07, 02:30 PM
You may want to read this thread and reconsider after you see what this recruits Drill Instructors said and did.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27739

Jim

Wow, tough kid.

capmarine
07-12-07, 03:33 PM
ive brought this story up before-i know a man here in OKC that was in bootcamp(mcrdsd)pulled out in '50.went to Korea,fought and came back.about 1995 he and others from(i think) Dog CO. were officially graduated at MCRDSD.of course they were Marines all that time,but the MC just wanted to do something as a tribute(my words)for these combat Marines.

LCPLE3
07-13-07, 07:51 PM
ive brought this story up before-i know a man here in OKC that was in bootcamp(mcrdsd)pulled out in '50.went to Korea,fought and came back.about 1995 he and others from(i think) Dog CO. were officially graduated at MCRDSD.of course they were Marines all that time,but the MC just wanted to do something as a tribute(my words)for these combat Marines.

Very good examples of what I'm trying to say!:flag:

SkilletsUSMC
07-14-07, 06:21 PM
You become a Marine when whom ever is training you accepts you into his corps. If a recruit bites it, but was putting out and doing well in Recruit training then yes he was a Marine. Just a really boot one.

Id also like to point out that most officers dont go to boot camp either.

FistFu68
07-14-07, 06:39 PM
:evilgrin: VIET-NAM,CLASS OF SIXTY/ EIGHT;GRADUATION WAS A BEARx10:evilgrin:

RLeon
07-15-07, 12:24 AM
This isn't hard. It's been said already, you become a Marine when the USMC says you are, no matter what era. Right now in order for the Corps to say you are a Marine you need to either graduate from a MCRD, the Naval Academy, NROTC, or OCS...or the whole Presidents Own thing (every Marine is a rifleman...unless your in The Presidents Own):D .
As for Pvt. Timothy Arathuzik's case, if the Corps says he is a Marine than he is.